Update - melamine in Natural Balance food - more products pulled

Old April 18th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady

Default Update - melamine in Natural Balance food - more products pulled

USA Today article:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...t-food-recalle
d_N.htm
But Natural Balance doesn’t use wheat gluten, the ingredient contaminated
with melamine in the Menu recall. Instead, it suspects that melamine was in
a rice protein concentrate, a new ingredient used in the dry foods, said
Natural Balance president Joey Herrick. “That was the only change in the
product,” he says.

Dog treats and Dog canned formula added
http://tinyurl.com/2up6ol
* Venison and Brown Rice Treats for Dogs (New today)
* Venison and Brown Rice Canned Formula for Dogs (New today)
* Venison and Brown Rice Dry Food for Dogs (Reported Sunday)
* Venison and Green Pea Dry Food for Cats (Reported Sunday)

There is no rice protein concentrate listed on the bag of dry NB dog food.
There IS ground rice though (At least there wasn't last weekend - reports
are they may have changed it on the web.) . And there's that 6 month lag in
changing labeling after the forumla is changed. There is NO rice in the dry
cat food. When they described their catfood they said Whole pea, but in the
ingredients it said pea. Pea powder is available.

One word of caution. South Africa has been having problems with their pet
food also. They had antifreeze contamination of Woolworth brand dry food in
Feb-March. (But you know, from what I read they had to test the food twice
to find antifreeze. Now I wonder if it didn't have melamine also.) A
number of days ago Royal Canin pulled their large breed Puppy formula due to
vomiting and kidney problems. I think they have now pulled all their
products but don't remember.

There is NO wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate (read same as gluten)
in the large breed puppy formula. Instead there is corn gluten. I'm hoping
in a couple of days they'll have a report on the food. My guess is they'll
find melamine.

So all I can say is buyer beware. Gluten gluten who's got the gluten. Call
your company. Find out; where their products come from. Ask them if
they've had a formula change lately. Demand they get on the ball and quit
changing food without changing the label. Meanwhile go buy a book on how to
prepare your own pet food. At this rate it will come in handy.

way beyond disgust......
buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old April 18th 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

On Apr 17, 7:35?pm, "buglady" wrote:
USA Today article:http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...mium-pet-food-...
d_N.htm

Geez. It seems like almost every day there's another food recalled.
I was reading where they're not even sure it's melamine causing the
problem. Guess this conference won't be going so well:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...alnearwest-hed

Old April 18th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sandy McDermin

"buglady" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Geez, I have two CANS of Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea cat food.
Should I not feed it to them for fear that it will also end up on a recall
list within the next week?

Sandy

Old April 18th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Tue 17 Apr 2007 07:35:46p, buglady wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
link.net:

There is NO wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate (read same
as gluten) in the large breed puppy formula. Instead there is
corn gluten. I'm hoping in a couple of days they'll have a
report on the food. My guess is they'll find melamine.

I'm starting to see reports that food will be recalled that
contains rice and corn gluton, too. I keep reading that gluton is
used for how they process gravy, but I think the gluton is where
the protein is, and how pet food companies can "up" the protein
content without adding more meat? I don't know. Just comes to
mind from reading here for so long.

Here's a scary quote from an author, Ann Martin (author of "Food
Pets Die For ... Shocking Facts About Pet Food," ) - someone who
tried to post here a while back until she got attacked:

"When ConsumerAffairs.com contacted Martin late Monday night about
Natural Balance's recall, she said: "I had heard about this
yesterday morning and can't figure out what the heck is going on.
If there is something wrong with this food, and it is one of the
top foods on the market, I will just forget telling people what
foods they should feed their pets. This is very upsetting. "

--
Cheryl

Old April 18th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Sandy McDermin" wrote in message

"buglady" wrote in message
ink.net...
USA Today article:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...t-food-recalle
d_N.htm
But Natural Balance doesn't use wheat gluten, the ingredient contaminated
with melamine in the Menu recall. Instead, it suspects that melamine was
in
a rice protein concentrate, a new ingredient used in the dry foods, said
Natural Balance president Joey Herrick. "That was the only change in the
product," he says.

Dog treats and Dog canned formula added
http://tinyurl.com/2up6ol
* Venison and Brown Rice Treats for Dogs (New today)
* Venison and Brown Rice Canned Formula for Dogs (New today)
* Venison and Brown Rice Dry Food for Dogs (Reported Sunday)
* Venison and Green Pea Dry Food for Cats (Reported Sunday)

snip

Geez, I have two CANS of Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea cat food.
Should I not feed it to them for fear that it will also end up on a recall
list within the next week?

-------
I wouldn't if I were you.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old April 18th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sandy McDermin

"buglady" wrote in message
[...]

Since I can't read the miniscule print on the back of cat food cans, this is
what Petfood Direct says is the ingredient list on the back of the CANNED
Venison and Pea cat food:

Ingredients:
Venison, Venison Broth, Venison Liver, Pea Flour, Venison Meal, Salmon Oil,
Dicalcium Phosphate, Kelp, Flaxseed, Guar Gum, Sodium Tripolyphosphate,
Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Taurine, Parsley, Dried Cranberries, Yucca
Schidigera, Sodium Chloride, Carrageenan, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate,Vitamin
E Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium
Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium
Iodate,Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin, Vitamin A
Supplement,Folic Acid, Vitamin K Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement,
Vitamin B12.

I'm not a scientist, but is any of this rice gluten?

Sandy

Old April 18th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady

[...]

..........go to natural balance website - they've CHANGED all the ingredients
to reflect what's in it. Who knows WHEN they did it.
www.naturalbalanceinc.com I think the website now says rice protein
concentrate for all those they recalled. They are claiming it's only the
last and latest batch that was affected, but they're recalling all cans of
those types. At least they know how to cover their a**es when the barn
door's open.
You'll have to CALL them, give them your UPC code and ask them WHAT was in
that batch. The phones may be a bit busy, to say the least.........

For pesticides the LABEL is the LAW. For pet food the LABEL is a LIE.

Old April 18th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

The Natural Balance website says that the canned venison and peas cat food
is not affected. I have about a case of the canned food. But I won't be
feeding it to my cats anytime soon. I read the small print and there is no
mention of rice protein concentrate, rice gluten, etc. I think this is
something they recently added to the dry food. Which is beyond me...why
would you add another protein source to a limited ingredient food? I'm very
disappointed with Natural Balance.

Sue

Old April 18th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sandy McDermin

"buglady" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

I still don't see rice in it:

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/cat...d.html#Venison

You know, even if I put this out in a bowl for them, they wouldn't eat it.
They hate all this natural catfood and I'm really finding it hard to replace
some of the things that are being recalled. Fortunately, they love Fancy
Feast. What about Whiskas? Is that okay? I was looking at Sheba the other
day and it says that it's only a supplement. You can't feed your cat on it.
I guess because it has none of those added nutritional ingredients that are
killing the animals.

Just kidding. I know there is a difference between gluten and vitamin
enrichment or taurine.

Sandy