[ot] Camera Question

Old July 7th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeanne Hedge

Default [ot] Camera Question

I'm hoping someone here knows something about digital cameras...

I finally broke down and bought a modern digital camera - Canon A550.
I know they're not the latest/greatest, but it was on sale and had
some features I wanted (like a viewfinder - have you ever tried to
take daytime photos when the sun is washing out the view screen on the
back of the camera??? it really *is* point and shoot!).

The camera manual specifies various OS the download software will work
with. My home computer is ancient - it runs off of Win98 (hey, it
works just fine for me). Not Win98 SE mind you, plain old Win98 with
various and sundry service packs and updates applied (including the
famous SP2).

Here's the question/problem. The camera manual says the software will
work with Win98 SE. Most of the time it's not a problem, and it will
work on my computer fine. But every once in a while I run across
something where it *is* a problem and it won't install/run. Anyone
have a clue as to if Win98 (SP2) and Canon A550 camera download
software are compatible?

Jeanne Hedge

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old July 7th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
[...]

Here's a web site that may have some answers for you:

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digi...html?qid=11436

Old July 7th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 16:01:40 -0400, Jeanne Hedge
wrote:

[...]

No idea. Have you tried installing the software and hooking up the
camera, to see what results you get? It is very unlikely that a
software malfunction would do anything to the camera; the result would
be only that you couldn't readily download the pictures. If that were
to happen, you could probably work out an arrangement with a friend
where you would periodically use their computer to download pictures
onto a CD, then transfer the pictures from the CD onto your computer.
The pictures are likely to be too large to fit onto a floppy. Another
possibility, if your computer has a USB port, would be to use someone
else's computer to transfer the pictures onto a "thumb drive".

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old July 7th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeanne Hedge

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 16:53:37 -0400, "Magic Mood Jeep"
wrote:

Here's a web site that may have some answers for you:

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digi...html?qid=11436

Thanks MMJ.

You know, you can search and search and search for something online
and it will never turn up for you. Someone else goes looking for the
same thing and finds it right away. :/

Anyway, it appears I have hope (until I can scrape together enough $$$
for a new computer

Jeanne Hedge

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old July 7th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

wrote:

Here's a web site that may have some answers for you:

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digi...html?qid=11436

Thanks MMJ.

You know, you can search and search and search for something online
and it will never turn up for you. Someone else goes looking for the
same thing and finds it right away. :/

Anyway, it appears I have hope (until I can scrape together enough $$$
for a new computer

Jeanne Hedge

============
http://www.jhedge.com

That's why my older brother always bugs me to search for things online -
he's inept at them. Latest one was to find a person by a certain last name,
on a certain street, as they had found a wallet at the local Home Depot, and
wanted to make sure that they still resided there before they mailed it
(anonymously) back. Apparently they couldn't find anything in their local
phone book LOL

Old July 8th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi

wrote:

[...]

I use Win98 SE at work, and found out it really doesn't like thumb
drives. I purchased one so I could transfer files between there and
home, but it won't recognize it. :P There are 4 differeent USB ports
on that system, and none work with it. The system is a 2.6 ghz Intel
chip w/250 gigabyte hard drive and 1 gig ram (and 500 of that ram is
useless because Win98 doesn't acknowledge ram over 500 mb. :P) We need
to upgrade our OS, but need to find Win200 Pro, as one of our programs
won't run under XP or Vista.
Old July 8th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

You don't need any software. Just get a card reader (they are less than
$10) and take the memory stick out of your camera and put it into the
card reader (connected to your computer by USB). Then you can drag and
drop your pics onto your hard drive in Windows Explorer.
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old July 8th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

[...]

I suggest that you get a card reader and use that to download pictures
instead of downloading directly from the camera. They are inexpensive, easy
to use, much faster than direct connection to the camera, and avoid draining
your camera batteries.

MaryL

Old July 8th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Wheels

badwilson wrote:

You don't need any software. Just get a card reader (they are less than
$10) and take the memory stick out of your camera and put it into the
card reader (connected to your computer by USB). Then you can drag and
drop your pics onto your hard drive in Windows Explorer.

Just a warning - this might work fine for you or it might not. Many card
readers also won't work on Win 98 SE. I found that out the hard way when
I first got my digital camera .

(Hi Britta, long time no see!)
Old July 8th 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeanne Hedge

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 09:01:43 +0800, "badwilson"
wrote:

You don't need any software. Just get a card reader (they are less than
$10) and take the memory stick out of your camera and put it into the
card reader (connected to your computer by USB). Then you can drag and
drop your pics onto your hard drive in Windows Explorer.

Thanks for the idea, Britta, but that won't work on my machine. My
experience when I've tried that in the past was much as Helen Wheels
said -- the card reader is expecting certain OS and won't work if it
doesn't get what it wants. All I kept getting was "I don't like your
OS, go install something modern" error messages ^_^;;;

Jeanne Hedge

http://www.jhedge.com

I wish I had a camera [email protected] Cat anecdotes 2 July 1st 07 04:32 AM
New camera! Marina Cat anecdotes 15 January 16th 07 05:02 PM
OT Camera question Marina Cat anecdotes 21 December 30th 06 08:08 PM
Little Camera Hog! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 26 February 27th 05 09:21 AM
Why do I never have a camera?? jmcquown Cat anecdotes 18 May 24th 04 03:14 AM