Mad kitty!

Old October 25th 04, 04:06 AM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 23:51:55 +0100, "Christina Websell"
yodeled:

"Yoj" wrote in message news:XjVed.9581$around the
US recently Actually, the most common Aussie accent bears a definite
resemblance to
the English Cockney accent. There is also the fact that a large number
of Aussies came from England originally, and never lost their English
accent.

Joy

Not so. No Australians I've even met sounded like they were English, and I
should know. Only English people sound like they're English.

Tweed

Yea-- I should have added that it's only Americans who seem to mistake
Australians for English. English people NEVER mistake Aussies for
English-- and Aussies NEVER mistake Poms for Aussies.

Theresa

Old October 25th 04, 04:09 AM
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:13:56 +1000, "Yowie"
yodeled:

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 07:48:18 +1300, Bev yodeled:

Cheryl Perkins wrote:

Kreisleriana wrote:

The former Mr. T (an Aussie) had people remark to him that it must be
cool to live in a country from where you could drive all over Europe.
:P

I've heard that many people think that Australia and Austria are the

same
place, which would certainly lead to that kind of confusion!

--
Cheryl

Even funnier are the people who think that Australia and New Zealand are
part of the same country or people who think New Zealand is a part of
Holland or Alaska. When we travelled around the US recently few people
could pick our accents. They always began by thinking we were English,
no, Australian then, nooo, then they gave up

Bev

"New Zealand: The Canada of Australia"

Forget New Zealand (I don't mean really)! That's beyond most of our
ken. In fact it was beyond my Aussie Mr. T's ken, too, but I think
that was on purpose. :P

I don't know it it is because I am so familiar with "down-under"
accents that I don't see why most Americans mistake them for English.
But I suppose that there are so many English accents that they think
that those just might be a couple more.

I guess its what you are used to hearing. If you hear lots of Aussie
accents, and a fair few Kiwi accents, you can pick the difference between an
Aussie accent and a Kiwi one, and even the different Aussie accents (eg,
difference between a Melbourne accent and a Sydney accent). But if you don't
here alot, you would probably hear them as similar.

For example, I, as an Aussie, cannot tell the diffence between the accent of
Bridget, Hazel, Ginger-Lyn or Pam Shirk, and only barely recognise the
difference between those four and Grace's. However, they all come from
different parts of the USA and I'm sure that to their ears, their accents
would be quite distinct. I'm also sure that all Americans would find my
imitation of an American accent just as painful as us Aussies find
imitations of our Aussie accent [except for Meryl Streep, she got it almost
100% right]. And an American imitating an Australian accent sounds different
to Aussie ears than a Brit imitating an Aussie accent. I guess when
imitating a different accent, you accentuate the differences between the
other accent and your own, which is why they sound different.

Yowie

I once startled an unsuspecting Aussie here out of his socks by
pronouncing Canberra correctly.
swelling with pride

Theresa

Old October 25th 04, 04:12 AM
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:36:07 GMT, "Yoj"
yodeled:

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 07:30:42 -0700, Seanette Blaylock
yodeled:

"Yowie" had some very

interesting
things to say about "go down cellar":

I'm remembering when I rang a very fancy hotel in Minneapolis to

talk to
my
friend who was away on business. I used to think I didn't have a
particularly strong Australian accent, but the receptionist

simply
couldn't
understand me until I started speaking in my fake American accent.

For a
hotel that would surely get guests from all over the world, I

would have
thought my accent would not present a problem, but perhaps

Australian
sounds
*particularly* strange to American ears.

Not to me, it doesn't, and I happen to like the Aussie accent. I

like
the sound. :-)

I lived with one for quite a few years. You get used to it.
Sometimes you can even understand it. :P

But I have to say that when I was hearing news reports on NPR about
the recent Australian election, I was almost jolted out of bed by

the
strength of Howard's ("Haaaaaaaad") and Latham's accents. 'Strewth!

Both speak with quite an "educated" city accents (except for Mr

Howards
characteristic "aaah" and "umm"s) and would have most likely taken
eloquotion(sp?) lessons. The way the speak is similar to our news

anchor
people, which have to speak "correctly" (for an Aussie, anyway).

The further you go from the cities, the stronger the accent and slower

the
drawl. People from Far North Queensland, Northern Territory and the

northern
bit of Western Australia have much stronger accents than us urbanites,

who
in comparison speak very fast and "clip" our words.

Yowie

On my first trip to Australia, I didn't notice any difference in accents
in the various places I visited. On my second trip, I noticed some
differences, as well as different speech patterns. For instance, most
places I went, the usual greeting was "G'day". In Darwin, it was,
"Howaya?" I noticed a few times, though, that if one Aussie greeted
another with "Howaya?", the other usually responded by saying "G'day".

Anyone say Hayagoin?

Theresa

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM