Accidents will happen...

Old March 15th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Hans Schrøder

Default Accidents will happen...

"Accidents will happen" is the title of a song by Elvis Costello from the
late 70's. And as you all know, most accidents happen in your very own home.
On February 24, it happened to me...

Does this story include cats? Both no and yes. I will explain...

On that evening (Saturday 23th of February), I had been out with some
friends of mine, having a few beers and a good time. I went home around
midnight and sat down by my PC to look up some mail and news and so on. The
cats were happy that I came back, and everything was shere harmony in our
little home.

But, suddenly, I got something down my throat, some saliva or something like
that. The normal reaction to this is to start coughing it up again, and
that's what I did, too. But, unfortunately, I couldn't stop coughing! I was
coughing and coughing and coughing until I just passed out!

The next thing I know, I layed on the floor. I guess I had been gone for
about five seconds, and when I woke up, I didn't know where I was, and why I
were there. I stretched out my arm, and my hand landed in the cats' water
bowl. "Aha", I thought, but I still couldn't understand what had happened.
The strange feeling I had in my face alarmed me, something wet was running
down my cheek. After a brief examination, I found out it was blood... I
dried it off the best I could, and found that the cats' second food bowl was
broken. When I passed out, I had crashed my face into the food bowl! I got
up and went to the bathroom to see what I looked like. Not a pretty sight, I
will say! My lower eyelid was cut open right in the middle, but my eye
itself wasn't hurt at all. But still, I looked as if I had been out in a big
fight.

I went to bed after having cleaned myself the best I could, but the morning
after, I found out I had to go to the hospital (ER) to let them take a look
at it. The next day, I had to go to the hospital's eye ward to let them
examine me to see if there were any hidden damages to my eye. They found
nothing, but they found out that they had to mend my eyelid a bit better. It
had started growing up completely wrong. So, the next day I had a surgery
where they stitched me up and made me look normal again.

The doctor said that I couldn't go to work for two weeks. "What?", I said.
"I've just been on a three weeks vacation, I have been working for one week,
and now you're saying that I can't go to work for two more weeks??" The day
after, I understood why... My eye hurt badly, and I really needed the time
to get well again.

Now I have been working for one week, but I have still got a tiny
inflammation which I am medicating now.

Some of my friends have said that I should get some plastic food bowls for
the cats, but I won't do that. They get sratched and will eventually carry a
lot of bacterias.

How the cats reacted to my stunt? Well, they went over to check if their
food was still in place, and later they comforted me all night in bed...

--
Hans Schrøder

Old March 15th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"Hans Schrøder"
[...]

Geez, how horrible for you Hans. I remember about 3 years ago, DH and I had
gotten up early for him to take our male Cat Pookie to get 'fixed'. I have
a hyperactive thyroid, and had misse 2 days of my meds. When he was gone, I
stood up, and the next thing I knew I was awake on the floor. I prayed to
God to get me up off the floor and help me back on the couch, and it
happened, Then, I got up again, and again, I passed out, and with God's
help, I got back on the couch, where I stayed. It's a good thing I had my
glasses on, or I'd 've broken my nose. DH came home and saw the blood on my
face and called 911, and they came and took me to the hospital where I
remained for 10 days..3 of them in ICU. It was really scary. But I was
well looked after there, and was flat on my back for 10 days. They had me
hooked up to so much stuff. So now I MUST remember to take my thyroid
meds...or...
Glad yer okay now.
BTW, Pookie had gotten our other Cat Pipps pregnant and she had 3 litle
kittens under our bed. Only one survived and she'll be 3 soon. Pipps is
her name and she looks like the kittty on the Friskies Dry Catfood ad,
jumping around, rolling in catnip, etc. Both her mom, Sqweex and her Dad,
PookieCat have white feet, but not Pipps. Both the wee ones that didn't
make it had white feet. I felt so bad for the poor little things
Nobody is reproducing any more kittins any more. Got em all 'fixed'.
Both Sqweex and Pipps were 'in heat' when they had their 'operations', and
Sqweex was still nursing Pipps for about a year and a half. She's dried up
now.
Kyla

--
Hans Schrøder

Old March 15th 08, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Oh my gosh!

This might be a funny story someday, but I'm thinking its gonna take a
while.

I'm sure you know not to use plastic food bowls for the cats, as they can
cause them skin problems. And your two are of a delicate breed anyway. But
maybe you should put the bowls someplace else?

And bad as it was, yes it could have been worse.

Twenty years ago my brother was sitting at his desk fiddling around with his
ball point pen. He had taken it apart and managed to snap the spring so it
flew into his eye. He actually lost his eye.

I've always wondered what the insurance company thought when they got that
claim?

Jo

Old March 15th 08, 11:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Inge Grotjahn

Am 15.03.2008 schrieb Hans Schrøder:

And as you all know, most accidents happen in your very own home.
On February 24, it happened to me...

Oh sh..., things, the world doesn't need:-(

Some of my friends have said that I should get some plastic food bowls for
the cats, but I won't do that. They get sratched and will eventually carry a
lot of bacterias.

You could use metal bowls instead of glass or ceramic.
http://www.zooplus.de/shop/katzen/fressnapf/edelstahl

Purrs coming over to you to recover soon and completely from
Inge and the catgang
--
CatManiacs World: http://www.gwsystems.com/inge
Old March 15th 08, 12:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

Healing purrs on the way.

--
Ann
in Connecticut

*
*
*

Old March 15th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Hans Schrøder

hopitus wrote:
On Mar 14, 9:28 pm, "Hans Schrøder" wrote:
[...]

I must say, Hans, that sounds like an awful accident. I was thinking
of
recommending what I have, stainless steel food and water bowls, but
then realized that if you had landed your face on that kind it might
have
broken a few facial bones instead of just cutting your eyelid (bad
enough).
Cats are a great comfort, aren't they? I'm sorry this happened to you
and wish you a speedy recovery. My first impulse was to ROFL but
ashamed of this reaction as it wasn't really funny.

Heh-heh

No wonder you wanted to laugh. I do it myself. In fact, when I went to the
hospital the first time, the doctor wrote a medical report about my
accident. He wrote it in a very amusing style, so I took it with me and
showed it to my friends. They _all_ laughed. I know, now, that this
particular doctor is a part time actor who has participated in a couple of
movies, and also some TV shows, so I guess he saw the bizarre in my
situation.

Now, the report hangs on the wall in my office at work for everyone to laugh
at.

I can assure you, I am absolutely fine, just looking forward to Easter
holidays.

So, people, just go ahead and laugh with me!
--
Hans Schrøder

Old March 15th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

How the cats reacted to my stunt? Well, they went over to check if their
food was still in place, and later they comforted me all night in bed...

Ouch! That's a very frightening thing to have happen. I'm very glad
you're ok now.

Dan
Old March 15th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"Hans Schr?der" wrote:

"Accidents will happen" is the title of a song by Elvis Costello from the
late 70's. And as you all know, most accidents happen in your very own home.
On February 24, it happened to me...

Does this story include cats? Both no and yes. I will explain...

[snip]

Yikes! That sounds painful and unpleasant. I'm glad you're OK!

And yes, I do see the funny side to it. I read your second post as
well, where your doctor wrote it up in an amusing way. Too bad there's
no way for you to post that - I'd love to read it. (Of course, since I
don't speak Norwegian, I might miss a thing or two. )

One thing that does concern me about all this is how you managed to
pass out from coughing. That seems a bit extreme to me. I have mild
asthma, nothing life-threatening, but when my allergies act up, I can
sometimes have coughing attacks and some wheezing. If I get an actual
infection (cold or flu, etc), my coughing can get pretty intense, and
while I've sometimes thought I might throw up, I've never come close
to blacking out.

Did the ER doc look into that at all?

Anyway, I'm glad you're over it now, and have a funny story to amuse
your friends and colleagues.

By the way, that Elvis Costello song is one of my old favorites. An
*excellent* earworm!

Joyce
Old March 21st 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Hans Schrøder wrote:
[...]

down my cheek. After a brief examination, I found out it was blood... snip

Lots of healing purrs,
Polonca and Soncek