Application "Points System"?

Old March 12th 04, 10:05 PM
Sunflower

Default Application "Points System"?

Does anyone know of a rescue group that uses an adoption application that is
graded on a points system? We are in the process of redoing our app because
we've gotten criticism over how strict our standards are. I personally
think it's because we've not communicated those standards very well to the
adoptors and they have false expectations, so that's why I'm redoing things.
But, those being critical have suggested using a points scoring system type
of application "to take away the personal bias". I'm agreeable to using
such an application if I can create one that still lets us keep our
standards, but I need a jumping off point.

Old March 13th 04, 12:27 AM
Tracy Daniel

Could you share a link to your application so we can look at it? It's kind
of hard to give feedback on something you haven't seen. I don't think a
point system takes out personal bias necessarily.

Tracy Daniel

Old March 13th 04, 04:35 AM
Sunflower

"Tracy Daniel" wrote in message
Could you share a link to your application so we can look at it? It's

kind
of hard to give feedback on something you haven't seen. I don't think a
point system takes out personal bias necessarily.
Tracy Daniel

I don't have it online, but it's pretty standard with a few "trick"

questions designed to elicit the truth, and we require vet references and
home visits, but that's not clearly stated on the application, which is part
of the problem and why I'm reworking it.

Old March 13th 04, 05:57 AM
MaryL

"Sunflower" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a rescue group that uses an adoption application that

is
graded on a points system? We are in the process of redoing our app

because
we've gotten criticism over how strict our standards are. I personally
think it's because we've not communicated those standards very well to the
adoptors and they have false expectations, so that's why I'm redoing

things.
But, those being critical have suggested using a points scoring system

type
of application "to take away the personal bias". I'm agreeable to using
such an application if I can create one that still lets us keep our
standards, but I need a jumping off point.

I'm not familiar with any points systems, but I don't think you should worry
about criticism over "strict" standards. Those standards are intended to
protect the cats, and some people just don't understand that. I do agree
that it is important for the person who accepts the applications to be
courteous and to explain the reasons why you have certain expectations, but
(unless you have some very unusual questions) I would not back down simply
because some people become annoyed. The fact is that shelters and rescue
groups face this type of complaint on a regular basis. Some people will
even imply that "any" home is "better than death," and they don't understand
why there are any screening processes. I adopted Duffy from a shelter a
little more than a year ago. I made my initial contact by phone after
seeing him on Petfinder, then went to the shelter that afternoon. I filled
out paperwork that asked questions about how I intended to care for a
special needs cat, whether he would be kept indoors, needs of other cats in
the household, how I would provide care in the event of emergencies, what I
would do as he became older, etc. I was also asked if I would agree to
unannounced inspections from shelter personnel, what my attitude is toward
declawing (opposed!), *why* I wanted to adopt a special needs cat, and
several other questions. I was immediately approved and was given a date to
return (3 days later) after their veterinarian could examine Duffy and
administer routine innoculations. All of this took a little time, but it is
also a way to help in the process of learning who is really committed to the
best interests of the pet. You really don't want someone who will become
"all bent out of shape" if they can't simply walk in and walk out again with
a pet in hand. Instead, you want someone who will offer the cat or kitten a
loving home and who is willing to take the time to offer special care.

This was a rather long-winded way to answer your question, and I departed
completely from you query about a points system -- but I would like to
strongly encourage you stick to your princples about screening potential
adopters. I also think that you might find that a points system could
create as many problems as it could solve. There are just so many
intangibles involved in assessing potential catguardians that a points
system could become too rigid. Incidentally, I can see some of my own
attitude in a recent situation (*not* related to adoption) coming home to
haunt me -- I reacted much too quickly when I thought questions were too
personal, but you should be able to work through something like that by
simply explaining the rationale behind your adoption process.

MaryL

Old March 13th 04, 02:50 PM
Fan

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:57:13 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Sunflower" wrote in message
[...]

My reply is to appologize for the customer being upset about the
standards. I then, quickly explain that the shelter's policies are in
order to ensure that the animal is a good match for the adopter and
that the director is the person who sets the standards. In the very
rare occation where waiving the standard would make NO difference, I
sometimes offer to let them talk to a supervisor. If waiving the
standard would degrade the adoption process, I do not offer that as an
option. If they insist, I do call a supervisor.

I do agree
that it is important for the person who accepts the applications to be
courteous and to explain the reasons why you have certain expectations, but
(unless you have some very unusual questions) I would not back down simply
because some people become annoyed. The fact is that shelters and rescue
groups face this type of complaint on a regular basis.

Agreed.

Some people will
even imply that "any" home is "better than death," and they don't understand
why there are any screening processes.

They think that, but it is not true. A slow, painful death is worse
than a quick, humane one.

I adopted Duffy from a shelter a
little more than a year ago. I made my initial contact by phone after
seeing him on Petfinder, then went to the shelter that afternoon. I filled
out paperwork that asked questions about how I intended to care for a
special needs cat, whether he would be kept indoors, needs of other cats in
the household, how I would provide care in the event of emergencies, what I
would do as he became older, etc. I was also asked if I would agree to
unannounced inspections from shelter personnel, what my attitude is toward
declawing (opposed!),

I believe the issue of declawing to be open to debate. I personally do
not think it is cruel. Please don't get this thread off on that
subject. It is like religion or politics, there will always be
opposing views and both sides are convinced they are right.

*why* I wanted to adopt a special needs cat, and
several other questions. I was immediately approved and was given a date to
return (3 days later) after their veterinarian could examine Duffy and
administer routine innoculations. All of this took a little time, but it is
also a way to help in the process of learning who is really committed to the
best interests of the pet. You really don't want someone who will become
"all bent out of shape" if they can't simply walk in and walk out again with
a pet in hand. Instead, you want someone who will offer the cat or kitten a
loving home and who is willing to take the time to offer special care.

Come on, how long can this take? If you are unwilling to give up an
hour of your time, I do not think you would make a good enough pet
owner.

Also, we have vet people on staff to do the final exam immediately
upon adoption, five minute wait.

This was a rather long-winded way to answer your question, and I departed
completely from you query about a points system -- but I would like to
strongly encourage you stick to your princples about screening potential
adopters. I also think that you might find that a points system could
create as many problems as it could solve. There are just so many
intangibles involved in assessing potential catguardians that a points
system could become too rigid.

Agreed, very good point.

Incidentally, I can see some of my own
attitude in a recent situation (*not* related to adoption) coming home to
haunt me -- I reacted much too quickly when I thought questions were too
personal, but you should be able to work through something like that by
simply explaining the rationale behind your adoption process.

MaryL

To be honest, some of our questions and processes are NOT rational :-)
They could be done differently. But, then again, I'm not the director
and he/she needs to be in charge. I will not agree with everything,
but that is not disloyal, just opinion.

We also telephone the landlord to get approval if you rent. That
causes great termoil at times. Usually it means the person is NOT
allowed a pet and lied on the application.

We also require animals to be indoor pets, not outdoor. Yes, there is
quite a contraversy about that, but it is the law in almost every city
and town in our area. Pets must be restrained to their own yard and
dogs are ment to be with people, not tied up in the back yard 24/7.
That alone, is enough of a reason for it.

Could you scan the application for us to see? It might help other
people in their efforts. Would you like to see a scan of our
application? I'd make one, if wanted.

Old March 13th 04, 08:23 PM
MaryL

-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

Please don't get this thread off on that
subject.

I was only giving a run-down of some of the questions that were asked at the
shelter, either on the questionnaire or in person (and I did not object to
any of them).

[...]

In my case, this took quite a bit of time -- but the point I was trying to
make is that shelter policies were reasonable and are designed to protect
the cat. If you will re-read my message, I think you will find that I was
not trying to complain about time expended. I was *defending* the shelter's
screening process, not challenging it. Now, how could it have taken so much
time in my case? You are correct that I did not need much time at the
shelter (possibly 45 minutes the first time and much less the second time --
but much of that time was actually spent holding and petting Duffy, not
undergoing an interview process). However, I adopted Duffy after I saw his
picture on Petfinder and realized that he had been at the shelter for 3
months. The shelter is close enough that they will adopt to people in my
community, but it is not the local shelter. The drive to the shelter was a
little more than an hour, another hour to return home, then repeat that when
I went back to pick him up 3 days later. But, again, please notice that
this is *not* a complaint -- I was trying to say that the extra time spent
was something that anyone who is serious about adopting a pet should be
willing to commit to the adoption process.

MaryL

Old March 13th 04, 10:45 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:05:27 GMT, "Sunflower"
wrote:

Does anyone know of a rescue group that uses an adoption application that is
graded on a points system? We are in the process of redoing our app because
we've gotten criticism over how strict our standards are. I personally
think it's because we've not communicated those standards very well to the
adoptors and they have false expectations, so that's why I'm redoing things.
But, those being critical have suggested using a points scoring system type
of application "to take away the personal bias". I'm agreeable to using
such an application if I can create one that still lets us keep our
standards, but I need a jumping off point.

I have one on my computer that uses a point system, and it looks like
I got it from he

http://www.petrescue.com

Hope that works for you. If not, let me know, and I can e-mail you a
copy.

Ginger-lyn

Old March 15th 04, 10:02 PM
Sharon Talbert

I just visited www.petrescue.com and was impressed! They use a point
system during their phone screening. They also have good guidelines for
screening.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Old March 16th 04, 12:24 AM
Sunflower

"Sharon Talbert" wrote in message
ashington.edu...

I just visited www.petrescue.com and was impressed! They use a point
system during their phone screening. They also have good guidelines for
screening.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Yes, many thanks for that link! It provided a jumping off point and some

ideas that I'm currently working on. First draft looks good and I'm taking
it to a get together tonight for suggestions and comments.