Cat Using toilet and toilet paper

Old September 21st 09, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Cussing

On Sep 21, 1:37*am, wrote:
Sherry wrote:

* Yowie! This has irked me for two years at least, and you're the first
* person
* I've heard that it likewise irks.
* Why can't people just say "yes" anymore?? It's always "absolutely."
* I noticed this first from guests on "talk shows" and it's now filtered
* down to everyday people.

I can see why someone saying "literally" for things that are not literally
true would be irksome, although I admit I've been guilty of this. Then I
feel silly. I mean, I'll hear myself say, "The place was packed, literally
packed!" and a second later I'll have to correct myself.

I don't quite understand what's wrong with "absolutely" being used in
the way you and Yowie have described it. The implication is, "absolutely,
I will do that for you." I guess I've heard it used that way so much, and
for so long, that I don't have any sense of that being wrong.

* Also from the strange but true category, the local news had a segment
* pondering whether we should pass LAWS to curb nasty behavior (Kanye
* West specifically)....most people were in favor of this, which shocked
* me.

Alright, I've heard enough about this mysterious Kanye West incident.
First: who is Kanye West?? I've heard the name enough times to know that
he is a Famous Person - I just don't know what for. And apparently he
took a microphone away from someone else I've never heard of, and Beyonce
- yes, I do know who she is - stood up for said 3rd person.

* We need laws to make us be courteous to each other?? That's just
* so bizarre.

It's a little scary thinking that people actually want to legislate
politeness. What do they suggest doing when someone is impolite - giving
them little electric shocks??

* Actually, I think we did get a grade for "Conduct" in the 60's. Which
* was basically having manners and respect for others.

And doing what the teacher tells you to do - unfortunately I think that
was the main point of "conduct".

Joyce

There's nothing wrong with using the word "absolutely" as a synonym
for an
emphatic "yes." But, just for kicks, watch a talk show and note how
many
times a positive response to a question is "absolutely". (This could
be a
great drinking game). It's like the trendy word of the year.

Kanye West is a rapper with a long history of boorish behavior. I
think he's one
of those guys who has been surrounded by sycophants so long, who tell
him
he's awesomely talented, incredibly handsome, unbelievably
intelligent, etc.etc.,
he believes it and elevates himself a little too far above the rest of
us -- rules
of etiquette don't apply to him. Plus, after seeing him on Leno, I
thought he
was a little....dumb. Or drunk. Or both. Pfft. Certainly we all would
not
be talking about him because of his talent. Bad behavior is his
primary reason
for notoriety. If not for that, probably none of us who aren't rap
fans would have
ever heard of him.

I've also noticed the new trendy apologies. "I'm sorry if I made you
feel (fill in
the blank.) Or, "I'm sorry if I might have offended you." Which kind
of throws
the burden of accountability over to the recipient, not the offender.

I can't believe I'm even expanding on any of this. I have officially
turned into
a crotchety old lady.

Sherry

Old September 21st 09, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
Sherry wrote:

Also from the strange but true category, the local news had a
segment
pondering whether we should pass LAWS to curb nasty behavior
(Kanye
West specifically)....most people were in favor of this, which
shocked
me.

Alright, I've heard enough about this mysterious Kanye West
incident.
First: who is Kanye West?? I've heard the name enough times to
know that
he is a Famous Person - I just don't know what for. And apparently
he
took a microphone away from someone else I've never heard of, and
Beyonce
- yes, I do know who she is - stood up for said 3rd person.

Can't understand TV dialog and didn't care enough to watch the
captions when this was covered ad nauseum. But Kanye West is a
'musician' who will be forgotten in ten years. A young woman whose
first or last name is Taylor and I assume is also a musician was
accepting an award. He got up on stage, took the mike out of her
hand while she was talking and said some things no one seems to want
to repeat. I'm pretty sure there are laws against his behavior.
Assault and battery come to mind.

Jo

Old September 21st 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 06:39:46 -0700 (PDT), Sherry
wrote:

Kanye West is a rapper with a long history of boorish behavior.

I think it was a stunt to add versimillitude to an otherwise bald and
unconvincing show. Someone who should know said West and Swift have
the same talent agent and that's the sort of publicity stunt an agent
would dream up. Those award shows are scripted and rehearsed. That's
one of the reasons I don't watch them. That and the significant "who
cares" factor.

Bud
Old September 21st 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"William Hamblen" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

Kanye West is a rapper with a long history of boorish
behavior...

...Those award shows are scripted and rehearsed. ...

Indeed. The script for one show was retrieved from a street
litter bin in my home town.

--
MatSav

Old September 21st 09, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

wrote:

Kanye West is a rapper with a long history of boorish behavior.

I think it was a stunt to add versimillitude to an otherwise bald and
unconvincing show. *Someone who should know said West and Swift have
the same talent agent and that's the sort of publicity stunt an agent
would dream up. *Those award shows are scripted and rehearsed. *That's
one of the reasons I don't watch them. *That and the significant "who
cares" factor.

Bud

Well, if it *was* a publicity stunt, it certainly worked! I would
have never
watched that particular awards show, and the whole thing would have
come and gone unnoticed by most if not for the mike-grabbing debacle.
Now most everybody has heard of it.

Sherry
Old September 21st 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

Well, if it *was* a publicity stunt, it certainly worked! I would
have never
watched that particular awards show, and the whole thing would have
come and gone unnoticed by most if not for the mike-grabbing debacle.
Now most everybody has heard of it.

Most.

Joyce

--
Let's stop calling it "climate change", it's far too mild. It's like
calling a foreign invasion "unwanted visitors".
Old September 21st 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

I've also noticed the new trendy apologies. "I'm sorry if I made you
feel (fill in the blank.) Or, "I'm sorry if I might have offended you."
Which kind of throws the burden of accountability over to the recipient,
not the offender.

I guess the key word in those apologies is "if". "If" implies that the
speaker doesn't actually know or understand what he or she is apologizing
for, or even if there is anything to apologize for to begin with. In
which case, the apology can't be very heartfelt.

However, that is still better than some apologies I've received. One
type that has really annoyed me is "I'm sorry you feel bad", as though
my feeling bad had nothing whatever to do with their actions! At least
in the examples you gave, the speaker refers to him/herself with the
first-person pronoun and an actual verb.

I can't believe I'm even expanding on any of this. I have officially
turned into a crotchety old lady.

What do you mean? Nothing you've said sounds crotchety to me.

Joyce

Old September 21st 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christine BA wrote:

Kanye West is a rapper.
Here's info on him in Wiki, including the incident you refer to under
'Controvercies'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_West

Thank you. Sounds like he has a chip on his shoulder combined with
very poor impulse control.

On the other hand, it seems like he's involved with a lot productive
activities, so he's not a total loss as a human being.

And one of his "bad boy" outbursts actually made me laugh (when reading
about it in the wikipedia article), where he said "George Bush doesn't
like black people." This was just after Hurricane Katrina, when that
certainly seemed to be the case, so I would hardly call that an
inappropriate comment on his part.

Joyce

--
Let's stop calling it "climate change", it's far too mild. It's like
calling a foreign invasion "unwanted visitors".
-- George Monbiot

Poll OT Toilet paper tanadashoes Cat anecdotes 30 November 9th 08 10:53 AM
Toilet Paper Eater Jan Harris Cats - misc 4 April 9th 05 06:06 PM
a strip of toilet paper and yepp Cat anecdotes 13 March 17th 05 04:25 PM
Toilet Paper John Biltz Cat anecdotes 11 August 17th 03 08:41 PM
toilet paper 2 Byron & Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 5 August 17th 03 04:09 AM