cats fight at feeding time

Old November 10th 11, 08:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default cats fight at feeding time

chaniarts wrote:
On 11/9/2011 7:49 AM, Matthew wrote:
"John wrote in message
eb.com...
"Joseph O'Brien"obrien1984 hotmail.com wrote:

OK, maybe "fight" is too strong of a word. Very specifically,
our older female cat beats up on the two male cats when it's
close to feeding time. She chases them out of the kitchen, swats
at their noses, and in general creates a stressful ruckus.

I would immediately (if not sooner) clip her claws. I guess it's a
best kept secret, but clipping an aggressive cats claws is to me
the obvious solution to help keep it from damaging other animals.
That works for behavior modification without confrontation (except
a little agitation during the clipping). A nonconfrontational
deterrent is best for successful cat management.

This has led to an
unhealthy response from the humans: when they fight, we feed them.
I'm afraid that they may have "trained" us, as we definitely feed
them too much -- the two male cats are overweight.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have recommendations
for ending this behavior?

Thanks.
Joseph

NEVER DECLAW A CAT and NEVER LISTEN TO JOHN DOE. He is a unstable
individual and troll

Get back on your meds john doe aka mark bender You will feel much
better Take a look at Marks history
https://www.google.com/search?q=john...I7ADSA_enUS456

try reading for comprehension. clipping is not declawing. i clip my
cat's nails to make them less sharp, and also use http://softpaws.com

When I go too long without clipping my cat's nails, they get them caught in
cloth, like bedspreads, and blankets and couches and the like. They have
come to like having their nails trimmed to prevent this.

Old December 19th 11, 11:56 AM
DanielCasey25 DanielCasey25 is offline
Junior Member

Cat Feeding in a large multiple cat household can easily turn into a mob or fight scene. I have two cats so I always separate them during feeding. I used to put one bowls on the table and the other one is on the floor. You can separate your cats when they eat.
Old December 20th 11, 06:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

DanielCasey25 wrote:
Cat Feeding in a large multiple cat household can easily turn into a
mob or fight scene. I have two cats so I always separate them during
feeding. I used to put one bowls on the table and the other one is on
the floor. You can separate your cats when they eat.

My five cats never fight over food., They each like different things, and I
try to accomodate them whenever possible. I don't feed them all at the same
time, but feed each one when he/she asks for something. And, they all have
dry food available to them all the time. (a never ending supply of it) I
also like to leave a bag of dry food unopened on the kitchen floor so they
can tear into it and, "steal" it themselves....They love to do this, and
cooperate in the effort.

Old February 18th 12, 11:03 AM
mickrio mickrio is offline
Junior Member

OK, maybe "fight" is too strong of a word. Very specifically,
our older female cat beats up on the two male cats when it's
close to feeding time. She chases them out of the kitchen, swats
at their noses, and in general creates a stressful ruckus.
___
Pua | pick up artist | Dating Coach

Last edited by mickrio : March 12th 12 at 08:08 AM.