Aerokat and Flixotide, for feline "asthma"

Old January 23rd 12, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bohgosity BumaskiL

Default Aerokat and Flixotide, for feline "asthma"

On 2011-11-12 7:01 AM, Eddy wrote:

Some of you were very kind with your views two months ago when Puss here
developed serious asthma attacks. Since then the vet has been
experimenting and the latest experiment was to give him a steroid
injection. It worked brilliantly: instantly stopping the attacks. But
then after five days they began to return.

So now we have an Aerokat device and a Flixotide inhaler and Puss had
his first puff last night while he was resting.

The directions that come with the Flixotide are for humans, so I'm
wondering if anyone can give any tips for cats. The directions say an
adult human should take one puff per day in the resting state and with
no treatment-interruptions.

Does this mean that Puss should also have a puff every day, or should it
be once every two days, or three days?

Thanks.
Eddy.

Probably every day. Remember that your cat's lungs are much smaller.
You will probably waste most of the output from that inhaler. That
should rectify the dosage difference. Every day.
Old January 25th 12, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Bohgosity BumaskiL wrote:
On 2011-11-12 7:01 AM, Eddy wrote:

[...]

A, "puff" for kitty is proportionately smaller than a, "puff" for a human,
so I would think that your cat should also take a puff a day. Getting him to
do that is another story. You may have to sneak up on him while he is
sleeping and get some of the stuff in his face, or perhaps put him in a box
full of the stuff for a few seconds...... I don't know how to do it.....Ask
your vet......Cats are good at holding their breath if there is something in
the air they don't like. You may have quite a problem.....

Old January 25th 12, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wayne Mitchell

"Bill Graham" wrote:

A, "puff" for kitty is proportionately smaller than a, "puff"
for a human, so I would think that your cat should also take
a puff a day.

Actually, a cat using a spacer gets very close to the same effective
dose that a human using a spacer would get. And both get just a little
more of the usable portion of the plume than does a human using the
inhaler directly, without a spacer. The human not using a spacer gets a
much higher total dosage, but most of it is deposited in the oropharynx
and is subsequently swallowed, and that portion has no effect because
fluticasone is almost completely unavailable by that route.

The dose of inhaled fluticasone which is required to control an
asthmatic's symptoms is not much influenced by body size. It is
determined by the severity of the condition, and by the response of the
species and of the individual to the medication. Cats have less
response to corticosteroids than humans, so they need higher doses for
therapeutic effect -- and by the same token, they can take higher doses
without experiencing serious adverse effects.

Getting him to do that is another story. You may have to sneak
up on him while he is sleeping and get some of the stuff in his
face, or perhaps put him in a box full of the stuff for a few
seconds...... I don't know how to do it.....Ask your vet.

I would again urge anyone contemplating this therapy to join us on the
Yahoo group:
We *do* know how it can be done, and have hundreds of members who have
done it. (Neither sneaking up on the cat nor brute force are likely to
be successful.)

Don't expect your vet to know how. We find that a majority of vets
still do not even believe it's possible, and the minority that know it
can be done, including those who prescribe it, don't have much knowledge
of methods for getting good compliance from a cat.
--

Wayne M.
Old January 25th 12, 05:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Wayne Mitchell wrote:
Don't expect your vet to know how. We find that a majority of vets
still do not even believe it's possible, and the minority that know it
can be done, including those who prescribe it, don't have much
knowledge of methods for getting good compliance from a cat.

I don't know anyone that knows how to get, "good compliance" from a
cat...:^)

Old February 18th 12, 11:57 AM
mickrio mickrio is offline
Junior Member

So now we have an Aerokat device and a Flixotide inhaler and Puss had
his first puff last night while he was resting.
_______
Pua | pick up artist | Dating Coach

Last edited by mickrio : March 12th 12 at 09:07 AM.