??'s about FIV+ stray cat

Old December 1st 03, 04:23 AM
Sheri

Default ??'s about FIV+ stray cat

I am facing a real dilemma with a stray cat that hangs out near my
apartment complex. He's part of a local trap-neuter-return program. I
had decided to adopt him because some of the people who live here hate
cats and have made threats to harm them. He likes people so I figured
he'd be the easiest target for these psychos. On Dec 18th, I'm leaving
this town and moving back home with my parents to work work part-time
and search for a job. They have 9 cats so we always test any new cats
for contagious disease. Unfortunately the vet called me and told me
this little guy is positive for FIV. My parents feel it is just too
risky to put him in the household with the others, who are indoors
only but not declawed. There are frequent skirmishes and the sight of
blood is not unusual. Just last week one ended up at the vet with a
deep bite wound. I know this disease isn't easily transmitted, but
even though their 9 cats are neutered, they are still a very rowdy
bunch.

Does anyone know of a no-kill shelter that would take this cat? (I'm
in eastern NC but would drive out of state if I had to). Does anyone
know of an individual who has another FIV+ cat that could possibly
take him? Also, is there a chance that the test was wrong? It was a
quick test (ELISA ??) ... could it have given a false positive? He's
at least 2 years old according to people who've lived here longer than
me, and as far as I know was not given the FIV vaccine. I think the
trap-neuter-return people just gave the most basic shots. I cried most
of Thanksgiving about this. I just wish I weren't moving home, but
it's an economic necessity. I can't have pets in this apartment, so I
had to just put him back out in his favorite mulch bed. He seems happy
now, but the thought of him ending up cold, sick, and alone just kills
me. The thought of him being abused is even worse ...

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want to give up on him. Right now,
he looks so completely healthy that I could not bear to have him
euthanized, especially since I've heard that FIV is something many
cats can live normal lifespans with. Many never develop devastating
full-blown AIDS like humans as long as they're indoors and well cared
for, right??

Thanks,

Sheri
Old December 1st 03, 06:13 AM
Kalyahna

"Sheri" wrote in message
Unfortunately the vet called me and told me
this little guy is positive for FIV.

Does anyone know of a no-kill shelter that would take this cat? (I'm
in eastern NC but would drive out of state if I had to). Does anyone
know of an individual who has another FIV+ cat that could possibly
take him? Also, is there a chance that the test was wrong? It was a
quick test (ELISA ??) ... could it have given a false positive? He's
at least 2 years old according to people who've lived here longer than
me, and as far as I know was not given the FIV vaccine.

As far as I know, FIV tests are pretty sure-fire once the cat is beyond 6
months. It's always a good idea to get it done a second time, just to be
sure (as false positives do happen).

You can call your local shelter or aspca and see if they know of any
sanctuaries in your area, or even call the shelter or spca in a larger city
to ask, as they likely have a larger network of contacts. There are also
"last chance" places that often go case by case on the animals they take,
and a shelter in your area should have a number for a place like that as
well. The only sanctuary for FIV and FeLV+ cats I know of is in Michigan.

Old December 1st 03, 06:53 AM
Karen

in article , Sheri at
wrote on 11/30/03 9:23 PM:

[...]

Sheri, the quick test can produce false positives. He should have another
done. Time is a factor though. They can live decent life spans with a good
stress free environment. I don't believe a big move and 9 cats would be too
stress free. When are you moving?

karen

Old December 1st 03, 12:13 PM
Wendy

Don't know if any of these are close to you or not. Check the link at the
bottom to see if there are any others that might be better for you.

Paws Place
3701 Boiling Spring Road
Winnabow, NC 28479
Phone: 910-845-7297
Paws Place is a non-profit 501(c)3 corporation. We are a No-Kill Shelter,
located at the southeastern coast of North Carolina, in Boiling Spring
Lakes. We rescue stray, abandoned or ill dogs and cats and place them in
forever homes. All animals are neutered or spayed if of age, or are required
to be altered by their new owners as soon as possible. No animal who is
brought to Paws Place is ever PTS. If necessary, they have a home with us
forever.

S.A.F.E. HAVEN FOR CATS
8431-137 GARVEY DRIVE

RALEIGH, NC 27616
Phone: (919) 872-1128
S.A.F.E. HAVEN FOR CATS is the Triangle's only no-kill animal shelter. We
have many wonderful adult cats, teenage cats, extra-special cats, and
kittens (when available) ready for adoption. We are open every weekend for
adoptions, which are based on an application and an interview

Creature Coalition
190 Maple Hollow

Pittsboro, NC 27312
Phone: 919-542-7585
The Creature Coalition is a small and independent not-for-profit animal
rescue group. We have been doing rescue for more than 10 years and have
permanently placed many pets into new and loving homes. We have an active
Sanctuary for the unadoptable, offer our home for retirement of elderly dogs
and cats whose owners can no longer care for them, and we rescue as many
animals as we can from animal shelters. We have a no-kill commitment and no
animal is ever turned away due to financial-related health problems. We take
no salaries and receive no grant money--we're just people trying to help
unwanted, abandoned and abused animals in our community.

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi

Old December 1st 03, 02:30 PM
Charles M

In article , Kalyahna wrote:

"Sheri" wrote in message
Unfortunately the vet called me and told me
this little guy is positive for FIV.

Does anyone know of a no-kill shelter that would take this cat? (I'm
in eastern NC but would drive out of state if I had to). Does anyone
know of an individual who has another FIV+ cat that could possibly
take him? Also, is there a chance that the test was wrong? It was a
quick test (ELISA ??) ... could it have given a false positive? He's
at least 2 years old according to people who've lived here longer than
me, and as far as I know was not given the FIV vaccine.

As far as I know, FIV tests are pretty sure-fire once the cat is beyond 6
months. It's always a good idea to get it done a second time, just to be
sure (as false positives do happen).

Huh, is this what you meant to say? Do you mean, test are "sure-fire" or
"false positves do happen"? Can't be both.

snip

Old December 1st 03, 05:42 PM
Sheri

Thanks for the info. Every shelter I contact is full however. It's
just so discouraging.

Karen, you are right. A household with 9 cats is not a stress-free
environment. The FIV cat is very laid-back however, and I think he
could handle some of the more high strung ones. The reason my parents
and I feel we can't take him is our 2 big male cats that like to play
so rough. Both are biters, and I just feel they'd end up contracting
it and maybe spreading it throughout the household.

If anyone else out there has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

Sheri