Trick to make cat drink more water

Old March 20th 04, 02:08 AM
Ablang

Default Trick to make cat drink more water

One day when I was sitting on the can, I noticed my kitty displaying
some strange behavior. She jumped up onto the sink and into the bowl (not
unusual), and was trying to lick water from the faucet for the 1st time (it
doesn't drip at all).

So that kind of told me that she isn't getting enough water from the
Drinkwell fountain (some sites claim you can use the filter indefinitely,
but I guess 6 months is probably 4 months too long). Her pee is very
yellow.

I have been feeding her 2 oz twice a day (dry cat food) all along,
but this time I decided to pour a cup of water (8 oz) into her empty dish
and put the dry food on top. She is kind of apprehensive about seeing her
food floating and moving, so before each meal I take out a spoon and shovel
up 1 bit of food and some water and keep feeding her til she decides to eat
the rest on her own. So now she drinks up to 2 cups of water a day that
way! Now her pee is very clear, although I have seen her pee up to 3 times
in 2 hours.

So, does anyone have any questions or comments about my technique?
What is your trick(s) for making yours drink water?

--
"Expect nothing. Live frugally on surprise." -- Alice Walker
Old March 20th 04, 03:12 AM
Maya J. Wozniak

Hey!

My cat Starla didn't like drinking water out of her dish either. She would
try to drink out of the toilet but its been kinda clogged for a while so the
water level is low and she didn't have that option. Anyways, one night I
had set a cup of water on my nightstand and as im trying to fall asleep, I
hear a lapping by my face. She was drinking out of the cup. She has
continued doing that and I got kinda sick of injesting cat hair and spit so
I gave her her own cup on the nightstand. It's always there now full of
water and she drinks like crazy. Something about if a cat finds the water
himself/herself they are more likely to drink it.

Anyways that's my technique and it WORKS.

Maya

Old March 20th 04, 07:31 PM
rpl

Ablang wrote:
snip
So, does anyone have any questions or comments about my technique?
What is your trick(s) for making yours drink water?

At the risk of demonstrating my ignorance, why do you need to make cats
drink water? Don't they do it on their own ?

pat

Old March 21st 04, 05:38 AM

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 18:31:03 GMT, rpl
wrote:

Ablang wrote:
snip
So, does anyone have any questions or comments about my technique?
What is your trick(s) for making yours drink water?

At the risk of demonstrating my ignorance, why do you need to make cats
drink water? Don't they do it on their own ?

pat

I just had to change my cat's diet due to too much dry food. If they
don't get enough water, they can have digestion problems like my cat
did. He was throwing up his food hours after eating it and my vet
suggested that this was due to not enough liquid for his food to pass
through. I was totally unaware of this being the cause, since he's
not only got access to the toilet inside, but a water bowl outside
which he constantly drinks from while he's watching the apartment
complex. (we're on the 2nd floor, and he never strays from the
balcony). If a cat is a big eater, consuming a lot of dry food, then
drinking water can cause the food to expand in the stomach. We had a
dog die from this when I was a kid.
My cat eats all canned food now and is doing well. I'm gradually
adding a little dry now because I still think he needs it. I like the
suggestion of mixing dry food with water, but wonder about the clean
up. Since cats don't always consume the food all at once, doesn't the
food get kind of soggy? When I was mixing canned with dry (before the
all canned diet), the gravy from the canned food made the dry get
pasty and sticky. My cat rarely ate it all and cleaning his bowl
became a daily chore.
pepsi

Old March 21st 04, 08:59 AM
M.C. Mullen

| I just had to change my cat's diet due to too much dry food. If they
| don't get enough water, they can have digestion problems like my cat
| did. He was throwing up his food hours after eating it and my vet
| suggested that this was due to not enough liquid for his food to pass
| through. I was totally unaware of this being the cause, since he's
| not only got access to the toilet inside, but a water bowl outside
| which he constantly drinks from while he's watching the apartment
| complex. (we're on the 2nd floor, and he never strays from the
| balcony). If a cat is a big eater, consuming a lot of dry food, then
| drinking water can cause the food to expand in the stomach. We had a
| dog die from this when I was a kid.

How can such a thing happen?
Was it a very small dog?

Carola

Old March 21st 04, 08:59 AM
M.C. Mullen

Old March 21st 04, 09:39 AM
kilikini

"Maya J. Wozniak" wrote in message
m...
Hey!

My cat Starla didn't like drinking water out of her dish either. She

would
try to drink out of the toilet but its been kinda clogged for a while so

the
water level is low and she didn't have that option. Anyways, one night I
had set a cup of water on my nightstand and as im trying to fall asleep, I
hear a lapping by my face. She was drinking out of the cup. She has
continued doing that and I got kinda sick of injesting cat hair and spit

so
I gave her her own cup on the nightstand. It's always there now full of
water and she drinks like crazy. Something about if a cat finds the water
himself/herself they are more likely to drink it.

Anyways that's my technique and it WORKS.

Maya

Giving my cats their own glass was the *only* way that I could get my girls
to drink water. Now they have two glasses. They need to feel important
too.
kili