OT...Drive Crash

Old August 27th 04, 01:18 PM
:-\)Liz

Default OT...Drive Crash

Ok, other than the fact the kitties keep trying to help me work on my
computer(getting their wittle fuzzy heads and furry paws in the way...) this
doesn't really involve kitties......my Big 120 gig hard drive died last
night(I'd moved most of everything out of my C drive and place it
here..."for safe keeping" when I got this drive at Xmas)...Alas, when it
died... it took with it ALL my mail, 90% of my programs,and
applications,records, info,cat pictures, ect....(sadly it took all my cat
and other videos, Flash or otherwise...sigggghhhhhh Cat Herding and Cows
Have Guns)....I want to inquire...is there a way to retrieve my data and
such from the dead drive? Can it be removed and taken somewhere and the info
be extracted or is that just something tv/movies show
happening?.....Sighhhhhhhhhhhhh :-)Liz(who is atleast up and running with my
news groups reinstalled, though, without not much else as this is a small
hard drive with little room left on it)

Old August 27th 04, 01:28 PM

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:18:13 GMT, ":-\)Liz"
wrote:

[...]

There are a couple of good companies out there that can recover your
data for you. It is not cheap.
Your drive should still be under warranty, contact the maker to see
who they recommend for this.
Do you have a backup?

Old August 27th 04, 02:32 PM
:-\)Liz

Alas...the dead drive had been "partitioned" into 4 sub drives(I guess
that's what it's called)copies of my stuff were faithfully copied and
stored in these drives....in other words........no backup:-( ... :-) Liz

Old August 27th 04, 02:38 PM
:-\)Liz

The reason for this..."in theory" it's usually the C Drive that cra*s
out...or so I was told...and alas believed( STUPID me, I thought I was
backupped)...Aggggggghhhhhhhh... I want all my old mail...I'll miss it more
than anything else as it had reports and such about our various kitties
present and RB...funny things reported about them and such......:-) Liz

Old August 27th 04, 02:40 PM

OK.
Go to the Drive manufacture's web site and there should be some
utility programs there that will do a nondestructive test on the
drive.
You may be able to recover some data if it is not too badly damaged.

Good Luck

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:32:01 GMT, ":-\)Liz"
wrote:

Alas...the dead drive had been "partitioned" into 4 sub drives(I guess
that's what it's called)copies of my stuff were faithfully copied and
stored in these drives....in other words........no backup:-( ... :-) Liz

.. .

Old August 27th 04, 05:43 PM
Bill Stock

":-)Liz" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Liz,

Most drive recovery places are fairly pricey. Meant for recovering company
records and that sort of stuff.

But you should be able to install the drive as a slave and get most of your
data off. It's likely just a problem with a few sectors on your C drive.
Since you have backups on the other partitions you should be OK. Even if the
motor is toast, there is the option above, if you want to spend the $$$.

An external USB/Firewire drive is probably best for backups.

[OT] Exploding CD Yowie Cat anecdotes 34 May 20th 04 11:11 AM
Going for a little drive... TJ Cat anecdotes 48 May 8th 04 06:50 PM
[OT] Crash and burn MaryL Cat anecdotes 25 March 17th 04 10:28 PM
Gonna drive Persia Nuts... jmcquown Cat anecdotes 3 December 6th 03 12:19 AM