A Sad Day

Old October 3rd 14, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rockinghorse Winner[_8_]

Default A Sad Day

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 07:08:41 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:
On 10/3/2014 2:12 AM, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
Do cats who are fed only canned food get kidney disease. Or just

the
ones on a dry food regimen?

There is no consensus. Ask 10 vets, you're likely to get 10

different
opinions. We're certainly not vets, but I don't think even they

know.

Age has a lot to do with it. My cat Persia (RB) was diagnosed with
renal failure 2-1/2 years before she died. She absolutely refused

eat the canned r/x food. I don't know what they put in that stuff

but
she'd have starved before eating a bite of it. The dry food, OTOH,
she'd scarf down like it was going out of style. She did just fine

with
it plus a little bit (like 1 Tbs. per day) of Fancy Feast as a

treat.
From what I understand, the key is hydration. She drank a lot of

water
and had a very deep water bowl. She liked very cold water so I'd

put an
ice cube in it. I miss my sweet Persia.

Jill

My Henry's kidneys also shut down at his end of days. He was unable
to eat or drink a thing the last two weeks. He lost almost half his
weight it was heartbreaking.

and then of course came the obligatory veterinary fees to tell me the
obvious.
Old October 4th 14, 11:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/3/2014 11:06 AM, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
My Henry's kidneys also shut down at his end of days. He was unable to
eat or drink a thing the last two weeks. He lost almost half his weight
it was heartbreaking.
and then of course came the obligatory veterinary fees to tell me the
obvious.

Persia was still drinking water but had pretty much stopped eating more
than a bite or two for three days. Not even her beloved bit of Fancy
Feast. I gave her canned chicken with the broth (she hated tuna;
couldn't figure out why anyone would eat that stuff). She ate a few
bites of the chicken but that's it. On day three I took her to the vet.
I knew it would be the last visit. That was August 8th.

Jill
Old October 5th 14, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla=^..^=[_3_]

"Rockinghorse Winner" wrote

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 16:13:46 -0700, "Mosey=^..^="
"Rockinghorse Winner" wrote :

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 09:56:58 -0400, dgk wrote:
On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 19:43:31 -0700, Rockinghorse Winner
wrote:

Hi everyone. Been off usenet for a while, and nice to find an

active
group in the pets.cats category.
I will always remember her for being a gentle lady, always

wanting
please but never too familiar. She knew her 'rights' as a cat

included
aloofness. I hope she didn't blame me for being

unfaithful
or abandoning her to Syd. I never stopped loving her as the

adorable
little black cat she was when I took her home from the pound. I

will
always have her in heart.

Thanks for listening.

Sorry for the loss. When LuckyBoy died I brought home Espy to keep

old
Nico company. They didn't really get along, and a few weeks later

had to rush Nico to the vet and he had cancer and after a few

months
of me torturing him with chemo he died.

The timing was just bad. He was around 15 and I guess wasn't up

to a
young cat, but as much as I loved Nico, Espy turned out to be his
clone. Both were terribly smart and got into amazing trouble and
caused me no end of problems, but they were just so worth those
problems. What little personalities they had!

She doesn't blame you for trying to get her a companion, and was
probably already sick and that's why she didn't take to the

newcomer.
Cats are so good at hiding anything wrong that there is just no

way
we
could possibly know in advance.

Yes, more than likely the case. She was getting frail the last few

months.
God knows how old she was - between 10 and 14 I'd say. The little

ticker
just gave up. I'm glad she didn't have to go through a long

illness or die
in some animal hospital. Thank you for your kind words of

encouragement.

This makes me so VERY sad for ALL of you who have recently lost

their
beloved cats.
And also the ones who have gone

on in
the past.
I don't understand why cats and dogs and other animals have to get

horrible
diseases like cancer.

We've had about 30 cats in our nearly 38 years together, and most

of them
went to Rainbow Bridge because of kidney failure.
I'm in tears for you ALL.

Love,
Kyla

Do cats who are fed only canned food get kidney disease. Or just the ones
on a dry food regimen?

That, I do not know. Hmmmm, should look into that, I reckon.

Ours get Friskies canned beef topped with a special kibble because 12 year
old Mosey has a funny tummy.
And of course, they get their Greenies. Boy do they get LOUD when the want
some...LOL
Did you know Grumpy Cat is the Spokes Cat for Friskies? She just turned 2
years old.
I love Grumpy Cat

Love,
Kyla

Old October 9th 14, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 9/28/2014 10:43 PM, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
Hi everyone. Been off usenet for a while, and nice to find an active
group in the pets.cats category.
Today was a tough day. A month ago I agreed to adopt a coworkers feral
kitten, one of the last of a litter that had taken over first her garage
and later her home. It is a gray, short haired sprite, full of energy
and affection in equal measure.

The reason I got it was that my work was taking me away from home 24, 36
or 48 hours at a stretch, and I thought my black, long haired rescue,
Martha by name, could do with the companionship.
To my chagrin, she didn't take to the new addition to the household,
although Syd, for his part, was nothing but affectionate to his new 'Mom.'
Martha just seemed to tolerate the little 10 week old, although she got
to growling when Syd got too excited or 'in her face.'

On hindsight, perhaps it was wrong for me to introduce another cat at
this stage of Marthas career with me. I was trying to do the right
thing, but I may have made Marthas life rather unpleasant.

Anyway, when I came home from work this morning only Syd greeted me. It
took a while to find Martha as she had chosen a spot beneath my work
chair, one of her favorite places when she was relaxing. She was stiff,
so I assume she died sometime in the night. She had one paw around the
chair leg, like she does when she's relaxed.
I will always remember her for being a gentle lady, always wanting to
please but never too familiar. She knew her 'rights' as a cat included
aloofness. I hope she didn't blame me for being unfaithful or abandoning
her to Syd. I never stopped loving her as the adorable little black cat
she was when I took her home from the pound. I will always have her in
heart.

Thanks for listening.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and please never second guess any of your
actions for a reason for losing one of your animals. She might have just
not been feeling well already before the kitten arrived, and since cats
can be so stoic, you might not have noticed. My condolences.

--
Cheryl