Cats' anal glands full

Old November 23rd 03, 04:21 PM
Johnny Davis

Default Cats' anal glands full

Hi, I was on here over a month ago and several people helped me w/a
problem my cat, K.C., was having. Thank you all.

It seems that the situation has not cleared up. She is large (18lbs).
She was leaking this foul smelling brown stuff from her butt. I took her
to the vet, who said because she's so fat she can't groom herself
properly, therefore the waste was sticking to her fur. He shaved and
cleaned her.

Soon after the problem reoccurred. Back to the vet, this time we see a
different Dr. He says the glands need draining, takes her back to
another room. I hear her crying, and he brings her back and she looks
much better.

Two days later she is leaking and smelling again. On my bill I see I was
charged for an office visit ($30) and a Dexamethasone injection ($6). My
question: is that the way the glands are drained? If so it didn't work!

Thanks for any advice. I'm sure we'll be back at the vet ths week....

johnny

Old November 23rd 03, 04:41 PM
Judy F

I had something similar with my cat Felix. He's about 2 years old and has
long hair. I noticed a piece of feces stuck to his rear end, but when I
tried to wipe it off, I realized that it was half in and half out! We took
him to the vet, who took an x-ray and said that he was backed up with feces.
They kept him overnight, gave him an enema, and then manually (I can't quite
picture this) expressed anything else that was stuck. When I picked him up
the next day they recommended that I give him Laxatone every other day to
keep him from getting constipated and about 2 months later he's still fine.
Hope this helps
Judy F

Old November 23rd 03, 05:10 PM
Mary

Two days later she is leaking and smelling again. On my bill I see I was
charged for an office visit ($30) and a Dexamethasone injection ($6). My
question: is that the way the glands are drained? If so it didn't work!

Dex is a steroid generally given for stressed animals, or at least that's what
I use it for. The anal glands are expressed manually. There are I think one
gland opening on each side of the anus. They kind of squeeze them like zits and
all that brown smelly goopy stuff comes out. I took my dog to the groomer once
and they told me they'd express his anal glands for free. Maybe it'd be cheaper
if you took your cat to the groomer to keep her butt hair shaved and get her
glands expressed, or you can do it yourself. If she's long haired I'd keep the
hair on her thighs and under her tail shorter also. You may also have to clean
her down there once a day yourself, with a warm washcloth, paper towel. Maybe
she could use a little hairball remedy or a tsp of oil added to her food to
keep her pooping. And of course put her on a diet and try to exercise her more
with toys.

Old November 23rd 03, 05:14 PM
afr

johnny,

i don't know how they drain them, but I was able to contain that problem
last year when it emerged. (Did a lot of reading on the Net cause vet was
no help.) EXERCISE. My cat was an outdoor cat, and has gotten really fat
since I moved to the city for a job and he has become an indoor cat. I
went out and got him some cat furntiture that forced him to jump up and
down a few times a day. I highly recommednd some cat furniture for this
issue.

afr