Profound differences of behaviour

Old November 30th 03, 06:51 PM
Mary

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote in message
. com...

"BOURGEOIS4607" wrote in message

ble.rogers.com...
I have a calico cat and a black domestic short haired.
They both have DRAMATICALLY different types of behaviour. Do

black
cats and
calico cats have dramatically different kinds of behaviours than

other
breeds and types of cats.
Thanks

All cats have their own personalities, just like people.

This makes sense - & I agree w/ it.

They aren't objects.

No, of course not. But what I don't get, is why it was said. IOW -

didn't see anything in the OP's post that indicated that s/he thinks

they
are.

Cathy

The idea that "certain breeds" have certain fixed personalities
implies a kind of object status in my mind. I wasn't mad when I wrote
it, as I might be if someone posted "I have two neighbors on either
side of me, both Japanese. One is very shy and retiring, always
tinkering with electronics, and a very hard worker. The other one is
loud and flashy, has been on unemployment for two years, and is very
messy. What gives? I thought those Japanese were supposed to be really
hard workers, very polite, and good with electronics. :0)

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old November 30th 03, 06:54 PM
Mary

"Sherry " wrote in message

I have a calico cat and a black domestic short haired.
They both have DRAMATICALLY different types of behaviour. Do

black
cats and
calico cats have dramatically different kinds of behaviours

than
other
breeds and types of cats.
Thanks

All cats have their own personalities, just like people.

This makes sense - & I agree w/ it.

I do too, and I know that coat color doesn't determine personality.

But still,
every tuxedo I've had has been really strong-willed. Coincidence,

probably.

Sherry

Our tuxedo is hilarious this way. All the cat books say that cats do
not like it if you stare at them. Well, this one, if you hold her an
instant too long for her liking, "stiff arms" you and stares wide-eyed
right in your face with this mean expression on her face like "who the
HELL do you think you ARE?" She says not a word, just keeps her legs
stiff and poking in your chest and stares like a haughty monarch.

Old November 30th 03, 07:40 PM
Cathy Friedmann

. com...

"Mary" wrote in message
[...]

Okay. Different perceptions. I see it as stereotyping, but not as
regarding either (the cats or a group of people) as being given object-like
status.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old November 30th 03, 07:42 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Sherry " wrote in message

I have a calico cat and a black domestic short haired.
They both have DRAMATICALLY different types of behaviour. Do black
cats and
calico cats have dramatically different kinds of behaviours than
other
breeds and types of cats.
Thanks

All cats have their own personalities, just like people.

This makes sense - & I agree w/ it.

I do too, and I know that coat color doesn't determine personality. But

still,
every tuxedo I've had has been really strong-willed. Coincidence,

probably.

Maybe. My tuxedo, Herrie, is pretty laid-back. Esp. when contrasted w/ my
first cat (solid gray) or Demelza, my calico.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old November 30th 03, 08:24 PM
Mary

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message

Okay. Different perceptions. I see it as stereotyping, but not as
regarding either (the cats or a group of people) as being given

object-like
status.

Sorry. I'm always leaving out a step in my reasoning/thinking. To
stereotype is to oversimplify to the point of giving a living thing an
object-like status. As though whatever you are, you are simply because
of the matter you are made of, eg your genes/breed.
Cathy