Protecting leather furniture

Old January 23rd 04, 11:33 AM
Stuart Reed

Default Protecting leather furniture

I'm about to buy a leather sofa. Any advice about training/preventing cats
from damaging it?

TIA
Stuart Reed

Old January 23rd 04, 01:20 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , PawsForThought at

From: "Stuart Reed"

I'm about to buy a leather sofa. Any advice about training/preventing cats
from damaging it?

Hi Stuart,
I have a leather sofa and my cats really don't care for it at all. I suppose
some cats might like leather, but mine don't. I would just make sure you have
other more enticing scratching surfaces for your cats like a nice tall cat
tree
and some of those cardboard scratching pads. I would also recommend keeping
their claws trimmed.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe

I think the biggest worry would be *if* they like to sit on it (mine aren't
super fond of the couch unless there is a soft throw on it) is accidental
scratching by jumping off it. I would invest in a pretty throw (can be had
cheaply from target or walmart etc.) kept on it. Also, if they have a
favorite scratching pole or tree, if they would show signs of wanting to
scratch (leather isn't terribly attractive; no texture) put it nearby.

Karen

Old January 23rd 04, 01:20 PM
Karen Chuplis

Old January 23rd 04, 01:20 PM
Karen Chuplis

Old January 23rd 04, 02:28 PM
DevilsPGD

In message Karen Chuplis
did ramble:

I think the biggest worry would be *if* they like to sit on it (mine aren't
super fond of the couch unless there is a soft throw on it) is accidental
scratching by jumping off it. I would invest in a pretty throw (can be had
cheaply from target or walmart etc.) kept on it. Also, if they have a
favorite scratching pole or tree, if they would show signs of wanting to
scratch (leather isn't terribly attractive; no texture) put it nearby.

That, plus kneading (if your cats kneed) -- Our kittens have done some
damage to my brand new (office) chair, leather. They love it, probably
because I cuddle them and let them sleep on me when I'm working, so
they're used to the area.

--
"Outlook not so good." That magic 8-ball knows everything!