Yowling

Old September 27th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

Default Yowling

"chili palmer" wrote in message
ps.com...

Vinnie34 wrote:
I adopted a 6 yr. old nutered male cat 6 mths ago who from day one yowls
at
night.
I've taken his to the vet, tried ALL suggestions, but each night between
2:00
am and 5:00am when I get up he yowls...Help!

can't you just put that look of shame on him? no you cannot, you're
pussy whipped

look, i hate to be ugly about this, i really want to help.. but you're
gonna have to pretend that you are going to **** the cat up

just pretend

they like that

get you a couple of cans of green beans or cans of corn

when he yowls.. go upside the wall, or the door, or the floor with the
green beans or corn!

if that don't break him, get a broom and come down beside him..

WHAM!

I TOLD YOU MUTHER****ER YOU AINT' GONNA RUN THIS ****ING HOUSE!!!

WHAM! WHAM! WHAM!
(chase him with it)...

make him go under the bed...
he'll stop

Um, yeah, that sounds like a great plan. Ignore everyone else's advice and
do this....yeah, that will REALLY make your cat happy. Trust him. He knows.
In fact he knows everything. If you ask him that is.....

Old September 27th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chili palmer

meeee wrote:

Um, yeah, that sounds like a great plan. Ignore everyone else's advice and
do this....yeah, that will REALLY make your cat happy. Trust him. He knows.
In fact he knows everything. If you ask him that is.....

cat wants to go outside
HE CAN'T GO OUTSIDE

not now not ever

i suppose you wants to "ask" the cat, what he wants, ha

he will say, "I wanna go outside dad, please!"

you have to overwrite his programming, it's not a pretty thing
but neither is yowling in the middle of the night

i figure dude didn't come here to play tiddly winks, he wanted
solutions
something that would work

you have to see him his yowling and raise him something, it's got to be
bigger than the yowling

for example, I am engrossed in solitude just now.. no cats.. i love
them real good, they love me.. but.. if i let them, they would be all
over my bed, on the mantle, under the bed, on the keyboard, sampling my
snacks etc... that's their jobs

you've heard of collectors, people who take in alot of cats
we have a few of them here in this news group

they keep taking cats on, or some of the cats have litters and they
just keep spreading like wildfire... totally irresponsible, but I don't
condemn the collectors.. it's another subject someone should bring up

every single collector story i've ever heard ends in one of two ways
(so far I've never seen an exception)

one, the collector abandons the hive
or
local authorities come in and remove the cats

how many stories have we heard where neighbors report a smell, the
authorities show up and find, cats in the walls, cats crapping on
everything, no food.. dead cats.. etc..
we all know a cat will eat a cat, a cat will eat its owner
the collector will eventually abandon for mental preservation

this is the same thing that is going on with the original poster, he is
being depraved of sleep (thats what happens with collectors.. it's one
of the reasons they abandon)

soo. without sleep.. the OP's job and family is going to be affected..
(eventually)

a human should run the home and decide the rules, not the cat
the op has a real challenge in removing this leapords spots

if he pussyfoots around with this.. it's going to frustrate the cat
if he stalks the cat and pretends he is going to "do something" to the
cat... he is sending a very clear message, one that the yowler will get
on the first or second lesson.

alot like two alley cats fighting. one will reach out and scream bloody
murder and at the same time slice off some of it's opponents ear.. a
very clear message

it's just my view

Old September 27th 06, 07:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"chili palmer" wrote in message
ups.com...

meeee wrote:

[...]

Ok fair enough. i don't think you need to worry though. I've lived through
yowling cats without hitting them with brooms, I agree you have to think
like a cat, but like the cats mother or littermate, not opponent. Yes they
do that, the ear slicing etc but they don't exactly like each other
afterwards. I think that the OP wants his cat to like him still; so
retraining him is half the battle. Right now he is sending the message 'yowl
and you get what you want' Unfortunately cats' don't connect 'yowl' and
'whack with a broom' as, IME, they only think about getting what they want.
Animals tend to blame negative events with the area or person causing the
event in their eyes. They don't link negative events with their behaviour.
If they did, your approach would work. But the cat doesn't understand that
yowling is annoying, just that yowling= attention. So withdraw the
yowling-linked attention, and the yowling stops. I have 6 cats and I run my
home. We have rules that they follow. One of which is not annoying people at
night, and during meal times.

Old September 27th 06, 12:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chili palmer

meeee wrote:

I have 6 cats and I run my
home. We have rules that they follow. One of which is not annoying people at
night, and during meal times.

That's a good handful of cats, have you shared pictures yet?

maybe Vic needs to hide the fact that he's up in the middle fo the
night every night

after all, Yowlie on yowls after Vic get up

Old September 27th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Vinnie34 via CatKB.com

meeee wrote:
I adopted a 6 yr. old nutered male cat 6 mths ago who from day one yowls
at

[quoted text clipped - 26 lines]
after a while and starts in again, ignoring it is all I can do, but would
love to get a full nights sleep....whish me luck

Good luck, I would advise not allowing him to sleep with you at this stage
as he will not sleep through, but will wake periodically to yowl. I know it
is hard, but shut him away from you, and don't even talk to him or open the
door when he yowls; this is teaching him that by yowling he gets what he
wants (your attention).Keep in mind that he doesn't need your attention he
just wants it. It is not too late to train him; if you train him to yowl
every time he wants something he will never stop. But if you train him that
things happen at a certain time, regardless of his yowling, eg you pat him
after you get up at 7am and not before, no matter how much he yowls, then he
will soon stop. Right now he thinks that the minute he yowls you come
running. This is not what you want him to think. You want him to think that
every morning, at 7am AND NOT BEFORE you get up and lavish attention on him
(or whatever time you choose). Most importantly do not respond to the yowls,
no matter how heartbreaking they may be. Tell yourself that he doesn't
'need' cuddles right now, he needs cuddles regularly, but he won't be
psychologically damaged or doubt you if you don't cuddle him the minute he
yowls. Instead he will learn that behaving anti socially is fine and you
will put up with it. Cats like routine, and the sooner you make him aware of
your routine, he will feel a lot more secure, knowing that at x am you will
get up and feed/pat him. This will decrease his anxiety and also the
yowling. Sorry if this is over-long and convoluted but I hoep it helps.
Good luck

Thank you Meeee, your suggestions make way to much sense, we will be starting
a NEW routine tonight!!

Old September 27th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chili palmer

Default OH LYN, HERE IS BIGGER PUSSY THAN STEVE was Yowling

Vinnie34 via CatKB.com wrote:

Thank you for all the helpful info, I do belive he was neutered just before I
adopted him and do think he yowls all night for attention or loneliness
because he quiets down when I bring him to bed with me, but gets up again
after a while and starts in again, ignoring it is all I can do, but would
love to get a full nights sleep....whish me luck

Vinnie Im not sure just why a male or any cat would do this
but the thing is, how can you say "I would love to get a full nights
sleep"?

how can you say that?

it's just a cat...

don't tell me you are scared he won't like you if you correct him

call it what you want

sure, mine have woke me up plenty of times..

why? uh.. i left the door to my bedroom open?

all you have to do, listen.. shut your door
when the yowling starts up, chunk a can good at the bedroom door

let him know you don't like it

these low thudding sounds won't scare him so bad that it injures him

I guarantee you it will work on the second or third can..
and thereafter, on the second can
and thereafter on the first can

and soon.. maybe once a week.. and soon.. no more.

they are dumb little creatures compared to us. they don't understand
our needs
he means no harm, he doesn't know how important your sleep is

throw something at the door.. he will stop

keep on ****ing around with him, let him know you're a pussy about it
too

you pussy! lol

VINNIE IS A PUSSY

Old September 27th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

meeee wrote:

I have 6 cats and I run my
home. We have rules that they follow. One of which is not annoying people
at
night, and during meal times.

That's a good handful of cats, have you shared pictures yet?

maybe Vic needs to hide the fact that he's up in the middle fo the
night every night

after all, Yowlie on yowls after Vic get up

Here's pics....www.pacificatscairns.blogspot.com

And cats can hear you even when you're really, really quiet. Mine still yowl
when I wake up, just in case. I just shut the door and ignore them, and they
stop when they realize it isn't working. When I used to try and 'comfort'
them (there are actually 2 yowlers, 1 is worse as he's Siamese and very
loud) they would yowl loudly for hours. The Siamese figured out that I could
hear him through my adjoining window if he yowled loudly out of the left
side of his window. I even tried to move him outside into the enclosure
overnight, but he just yowled all night and woke the neighbours then. He is
very affectionate (as Vic's cat sounds) and would love to spend 24 hours
with me. However the continual Siamese commentary on life (apart from the
yowls) is not conducive to sleep,....

Old September 27th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"Vinnie34 via CatKB.com" u27063@uwe wrote in message
meeee wrote:
[...]

Good luck....fingers crossed for you. Hope you have earplugs!!

Old September 28th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
boot

Nice pics! Good action photos! Beautiful poozies. I really enjoyed
seeing them.

Carol

Re making the cat in the grass: I started out with just the ears and
eye dots, then started looking around on the keyboard until I found
suitable shapes to incorporate. It took a long time to make the first
one.

Old September 28th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"boot" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nice pics! Good action photos! Beautiful poozies. I really enjoyed
seeing them.

Carol

Re making the cat in the grass: I started out with just the ears and
eye dots, then started looking around on the keyboard until I found
suitable shapes to incorporate. It took a long time to make the first
one.

Very clever!!! I'll have to try...and thanks!! Can you tell I like orange
tabbies??

yowling cat stopped yowling yepp Cat anecdotes 4 August 22nd 06 10:38 PM
Yowling? Yowie Cat anecdotes 20 December 2nd 05 10:41 PM
Yowling? Yowie Cat anecdotes 4 December 2nd 05 10:34 PM
Male cat yowling Steve Cat health & behaviour 11 June 8th 05 03:34 AM
tried everything for Yowling Ensoul100 Cat health & behaviour 33 September 22nd 03 06:13 AM