Central Park Coyote

Old March 23rd 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Central Park Coyote

John F. Eldredge wrote in
:

Coyotes were once a western/Great Plains phenomenon, but they have now
spread to the entire contiguous USA, and probably Alaska as well. I
haven't heard of any in Hawaii. They have proven to be pretty
adaptable at living among humans, much more so than have wolves, whose
niche they are now filling. They also raid trash cans and eat the
occasional pet.

I should think in NYC their main diet would be rats - they're slower and
easier to catch than cats or dogs. More plentiful, too.

About 10-15 years ago, resident Canada geese were becoming a nuisance,
overflowing the parks. No one knows for sure, but I believe the resident
coyotes are to be credited with keeping the goose population under
control.

Chak

--
I would like at least one political party in this country to be willing
to say that sex is fun and an important part of being human.
Old March 23rd 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT Politics (was Central Park Coyote)

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in
:

And what a quote. C'mon, who's going to stand up for sex when we
already ousted a general surgeon for daring to suggest that
masturbation constituted safe teen sex?

That always seemed so funny to me - like the parents who get all bent out
of shape because their kids want to get birth control. It's the ones who
*don't* want birth control that the parents should be worried about.

Chak

Old March 23rd 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Chakolate wrote:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in
:

And what a quote. C'mon, who's going to stand up for sex when we
already ousted a general surgeon for daring to suggest that
masturbation constituted safe teen sex?

That always seemed so funny to me - like the parents who get all bent out
of shape because their kids want to get birth control. It's the ones who
*don't* want birth control that the parents should be worried about.

Chak

They're all taking chastitiy vows and ending up in the ER with
chalymidia of the throat. But hey, they're still virgin, right?

-L.

Old March 23rd 06, 07:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bev A. wrote in
:

Have you ever been to NYC? There are "urban areas" and then there is
NYC (Chicago, Boston, etc). There is no coyote population in Central
Park.

Did you look at the link I provided? I'm in Chicago, and we have
coyotes. I've seen one in our alley. You may think there're no coyotes
in Central Park, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

This is about coyotes in Queens:

http://www.jrn.columbia.edu/studentw...l/april12/coyo
te.html

except I can't tell for sure when it was posted, it just says April, not
the year.

Chak

Old March 23rd 06, 08:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
New helicopters hovering overhead!!?? No wonder the poor thing was so
scared. Gaaah, people are so STOOPID!!

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

March 22, 2006, 12:56 PM EST

A wily coyote led sharpshooters armed with tranquilizer guns on a wild
chase through Central Park before being captured Wednesday.

The coyote proved to be quite adept at avoiding capture, jumping into
the water, ducking under a bridge, and scampering through the grounds
of an ice skating rink after authorities thought they had the varmint
cornered Wednesday morning.

The coyote, a male believed to be about a year old, was caught near
Belvedere Castle, close to 79th Street and Central Park West, around
10 a.m. All the while, news helicopters hovering overhead tracked
every turn in the chase, and it was broadcast around the country.

Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe said a NYPD police officer shot the
coyote with a tranquilizer gun at close range.

The hunt began Tuesday afternoon when Benepe, among others, spotted
the animal in the southeast corner of Central Park, not far from the
tony Upper East Side before he leaped over a fence and disappeared.

It's unclear when the coyote, nicknamed Hal by parks workers, first
arrived in the big city, but the first sightings of the animal came
early Sunday.

Hal is only the second coyote ever to be spotted in Central Park,
Benepe said, the last being seven years ago.

Interestingly, Benepe said both coyotes strayed into the same area,
the Hallett Wildlife Sanctuary.

"It's an area closed to people and dogs, so it's a good place for a
coyote to hunt for birds," he said.

While coyotes don't usually present a threat to people, Benepe had
warned that park visitors should keep their dogs leashed to protect
the pets.

Officials said one of their tranquilizers had managed to hit the
coyote Tuesday, but that it appeared to have no effect.

The coyote may have wandered into the city from Westchester County, or
perhaps swimming across the Hudson River from New Jersey, Benepe said.

Asked to speculate why a coyote would venture into Central Park,
Benepe said, "It's an immature young coyote ... at that age they're
frisky and curious to explore the turf." "It takes quite an
adventurous coyote," Benepe said. "You either have to swim or cross a
railroad trestle used by Metro-North and Amtrak that runs along the
Hudson under the George Washington Bridge and then goes through a very
wooded area." "They are very good swimmers," he added.

"He's recovering," said Benepe, who visited the coyote after his
capture. He said the animal would be taken to an upstate wildlife
facility "as soon as he is ready to be transferred." Coyote sightings
in urban areas are nothing new, but the critters rarely venture into
the concrete jungle of New York City.

The coyote that found its way to Central Park in 1999 is now kept in
the Queens Zoo.

"It's very unusual to have them in Manhattan," Benepe said.

"They have to be particularly adventurous." In Westchester County,
coyote sightings have increased rapidly since the 1970s.

In 1997, 15 sightings were noted, but many encounters are no longer
even reported -- unless they involve the loss of a pet. The animals
generally shy away from people and no attacks on humans have been
recorded, but several pet dogs have been snatched from back yards by
the predators.

Officials fear that as the coyotes settle into a suburban existence
they may lose some fear of people. The state and Cornell University
are planning a five-year study that will include attempts to trap and
tranquilize coyotes in four Westchester towns.

Theresa

I heard about that on the news. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that
they only shot him with a tranquilizer gun.

Joy

Old March 23rd 06, 10:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bev A. wrote:

Have you ever been to NYC? There are "urban areas" and then there is
NYC (Chicago, Boston, etc). There is no coyote population in Central
Park.

I do not understand this statement at all. I can't parse it, can't
make sense of it. What are you trying to say here?

Joyce
Old March 23rd 06, 10:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-22, Chakolate penned:
I would like at least one political party in this country to be
willing
to say that sex is fun and an important part of being human.
--PZ Myers, http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/

Wow, interesting blog there.

And what a quote. C'mon, who's going to stand up for sex when we
already ousted a general surgeon for daring to suggest that
masturbation constituted safe teen sex?

I would have thought how safe it was depends on where you do it. ;o)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old March 23rd 06, 10:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I heard about that on the news. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that
they only shot him with a tranquilizer gun.
Joy

I am having trouble generating sympathy for a wild animal that
probably ate his weight in stray cats before anyone noticed
his presence......

Old March 23rd 06, 11:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:

I am having trouble generating sympathy for a wild animal that
probably ate his weight in stray cats before anyone noticed
his presence......

Well, it's not the coyote's fault. They're predators - that's what
they do.

Humans have spread all over the world and now we're living side by
side with wild animals. We've either moved into their territory, or
we've displaced them, and/or made their habitats unlivable, so they
end up in urban or suburban areas, like the elk that live in downtown
Banff. Also, sometimes animals that were hunted almost to extinction
make a comeback, except that the area they're coming back into has
been built up and settled by humans - and suddenly, we have some new
neighbors.

Joyce
Old March 23rd 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-23, Chakolate penned:

That always seemed so funny to me - like the parents who get all
bent out of shape because their kids want to get birth control.
It's the ones who *don't* want birth control that the parents should
be worried about.

I grew up with my mom telling me she'd get me on BC when I was 16.

She was terrified, for some reason, of becoming a grandmother while I
was a teen. Well before I *was* a teen.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully