Biggest storm of my life (OT)

Old April 28th 04, 04:50 AM
badwilson

Default Biggest storm of my life (OT)

Well, all I can say is I should have been careful what I wished for! When I
expressed jealousy of Steve's recent thunderstorms because it's sooooo
awfully hot here, I should have known better.
Last night we had the worst storm of my life. And it can storm around here,
that's for sure. We've had many bad ones in the last 3 years but this one
was the worst one. It lasted from 3 am until 6:30 am.
The lightning was so bright, it illuminated the whole bedroom to brighter
than daylight. It doesn't help that we've got windows on 3 sides! The
thunder was so loud it felt like we were in the middle of a war zone. There
was less than a second between lightning and thunder, sometimes there were
dangerous sounding cracks that made me think something really close by had
been struck. The whole house shook and the pictures rattled. This was
quite nervous making because the construction of the house is really shoddy
and the walls are the thickness of a single brick (4 inches?).
The rain was coming down so hard that it was being blasted through the
cracks in the window frame and our curtains were soaking wet.
Needless to say, not much sleeping was going on. Vino was such a brave boy
though, he hung out in bed with us the whole time and didn't flinch at all.
After a while, he turned his back on the window with the brightest lightning
flashes and stayed facing that way for the rest of the night. He was very
sweet though and even purred when we petted him. We are very proud :-)
This morning I finally got up at 9:30 and the street looks a real mess.
Broken branches and pieces of palm tree everywhere. Snails crawling up the
outside walls of the house. The temperature was only 25C instead of the
usual 32C by this time of day. It is very gloomy and dreary but I love it
because it's been sunny every day for about 2 months, so the change is good.
Unfortunately, our phone downstairs got fried (the one upstairs works) and
my wonderful external USB modem is also fried. Had to connect to my old
internal modem to get on the internet. We'll have to get a new phone and
hopefully I can find this modem again. I used to have my phone line going
through my UPS but that part of it died a while ago. I guess I'll unplug
the phone line before bed from now on, since the rainy season is going to be
coming soon.
As for other news, I got a scary email from my friend Holly who was here
visiting me recently. While she was here, she had about 8 moles removed and
a biopsy on 2 suspicious looking ones. People are always getting health
stuff done when they visit because it's so cheap here and the service is so
good.
Anyway, they emailed her the results and the one on the back of her leg is
malignant but in the early stages. So she has to get to a dermatologist
asap and have more biopsies on the surrounding areas to make sure they got
it all.
I sure hope they did get it. I guess it's lucky she had this done here
because she wouldn't have had it done back home in Canada because it's too
expensive and she kept putting it off. She has really white skin with lots
of moles. Dennis and I are going to get ourselves checked over again, can
never be too sure with this stuff! Scary!
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's covered

Old April 28th 04, 06:18 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:50:21 +0700, "badwilson" wrote:

Well, all I can say is I should have been careful what I wished for!

snip stormy details

Sounds like you had a dozy, and glad nothing more than the phone lines
got fried.

Vino sounds awfully brave, compared to my crew. Course everyone knows
Sammy is terrified, but your storm sounds bad enough that it it had
been here Little Bit would have taken cover with Sam.

I remember several years ago I was taking a course at out local
vocational technical school when it took hit on the phone lines. The
tech guy at the time had told everyone with unprotected phone lines to
unplug theit computers, but of course someone had the day off and that
computer didn't get unplugged. Worse news was that it was hooked to
the local network, and several other 'puters were damaged from the
surge, even though their phone lines were unplugged. I actually have a
couple surge protectors on my system, in addition to a UPS, and still
unplug the phone line during bad storms.

Glad to hear that your friend caught the suspect mole early. Purrs
that they removed everything, but good news that she now knows to get
in and check it out.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Old April 28th 04, 01:42 PM
Christine Burel

Glad ya'll are okay after that storm; that sounded bad and kudos to Vino for
his bravery during the storm! Purrs for your friend!
Christine

Old April 28th 04, 10:36 PM

"badwilson" wrote:

Last night we had the worst storm of my life. And it can storm around
here, that's for sure. We've had many bad ones in the last 3 years but
this one was the worst one. It lasted from 3 am until 6:30 am.

Wow! I'm glad Dennis was there when it happened - it would have been
muchmore creepy without him, I'm sure! Your walls are only the thickness
of a single brick? No wonder you were scared.

And I'm very impressed with Vino's unflappability. What a good boy!

I'm sorry about your friend's malignancy. I hope it's all gone! That
is scary.

People are always getting health stuff done when they visit because
it's so cheap here and the service is so good.

Well, unless you need an epi pen.

Joyce

Old April 28th 04, 10:39 PM
polonca12000

Purrs for your friend to be well again now or at least really soon,
--
Polonca & Soncek

snip

Old April 29th 04, 02:59 AM
badwilson

wrote in message
"badwilson" wrote:

Last night we had the worst storm of my life. And it can storm around
here, that's for sure. We've had many bad ones in the last 3 years but
this one was the worst one. It lasted from 3 am until 6:30 am.

Wow! I'm glad Dennis was there when it happened - it would have been
muchmore creepy without him, I'm sure! Your walls are only the thickness
of a single brick? No wonder you were scared.

Yes, it would have been more freaky alone, that's for sure. As it was, when
the storm started to slow down, I dozed off and had a terrible nightmare
about the water making all the cockroaches come to the surface...eeek! Was
glad when I got up in the morning and that wasn't the case.
The houses here are certainly not well constructed. A single brick turned
lengthwise is about it. Slap on some plaster and paint. Electrical lines
get glued on top and painted, you can see every one. And the fact that our
curtains got soaked even though the windows were closed is pretty pathetic.
I guess I am just used to better buildings...with being German and all
that...my parents' houses are always fortresses!

And I'm very impressed with Vino's unflappability. What a good boy!

Yes, he sure is :-) I'm very proud, he isn't scared of storms or vacuums!

I'm sorry about your friend's malignancy. I hope it's all gone! That
is scary.

I know. I hope I hear from her soon.

People are always getting health stuff done when they visit because
it's so cheap here and the service is so good.

Well, unless you need an epi pen.

Yes, that is so weird. I wonder how many people die every day of
anaphylactic shock in Thailand :-( They claim that it's because the general
population isn't educated enough to be trusted to give themselves a shot.
Oh, so better to let the die, eh? sigh