Why I don't frequent Chinese restaurants

Old June 20th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Why I don't frequent Chinese restaurants

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Charlie Wilkes wrote:
BEIJING (Reuters) - Gun-toting animal rights protesters swarmed into a
restaurant serving cat meat in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen

and
forced it to shut, Xinhua news agency said Sunday.

DH goes to Shenzhen frequently. I will have to tell him that it wasn't
chicken he liked so well...

-L.

Gotta start looking closely at the labels- China is exporting pet foods.
Some US brands are or may be manufactured in China.

June 20, 2006
Volume 6, Number 12
"Industry news

China petfood market brief

According to a recent USDA Foreign Agricultural Service GAIN Report, there
were roughly 150 million pet dogs in China in 2005. Research found that the
percentage of Chinese owning dogs increased from 5% in 1999 to 7% in 2004.
Analysts estimate that sales of dog and cat food in China reached nearly
RMB1.6 billion in 2004 (approximately US$199 million)-up 13% over the
previous year. Experts predict annual sales of petfood and necessities might
top RMB6 billion (roughly US$750 million) in 2008.

Chinese import figures show steady growth in the import of petfood products
from around the world-from about 1,000 tons in 2000 to nearly 3,000 tons in
2005. Chinese petfood manufacturers are also exporting at a rapid pace-about
1,000 tons in 2000 to more than 20,000 tons in 2005. So, while there is a
growing domestic market in China for US exporters, Chinese petfood exporters
are going to provide great competition for US petfood producers around the
world, said the report."

Old June 20th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Phil P. wrote:

Gotta start looking closely at the labels- China is exporting pet foods.
Some US brands are or may be manufactured in China.

Much of China is not much different from the US - except for the huge
presence of bicycles. DH said the best food from a restaurant and the
best service he's ever had was in Beijing - this says a lot because he
HATES to eat out.
-L.