Cat Fancy Magazine

Old January 5th 07, 07:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Cat Fancy Magazine

A number of years ago I had a subscription to Cat Fancy Magazine and enjoyed
it very much. When I lost my job I didn't renew the subscription. Now I'm
not sure how many of you are familiar with the clothing catalog Newport
News. I'm not buying new clothes these days but have been a customer of
theirs for years. So imagine my surprise a few months ago when I got a
letter from Newport News in the mail offering me a choice of 3 free magazine
subscriptions (up to $150USD value, IIRC) for being such a good, loyal
customer!

Cat Fancy was on the list so I selected it. I also selected something
called Best Friends which is devoted to all sorts of animals (comes out 6
times a year). I can't recall the third one but I know it had something to
do with cooking!

I got my first (new) issue of Cat Fancy and Best Friends, both, in the mail
today! What fun! I love to read so this is an excellent way to reward a
customer Sure beats the usual $20 or 15% off coupons that require you to
spend money with the company in order to collect your "reward". Kudos to
them.

Jill

Old January 5th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Watch out! There is a company (maybe more than one) that handles these free
subscriptions. When the free period (usually a year) ends, they
automatically bill your "renewal" to your credit card. It is easy to
cancel, but you do need to watch your statements and immeditely cancel if
you don't want it. In some cases, a postcard will be sent in advance, but
it isn't very obvious.

MaryL

Old January 6th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Kind of unrelated, but we have been getting some rather insidious little
cards in the mail lately. Both of our cars will be three years old this
year. And that is a matter of public record, either through the DMV, the
dealers, or the insurance industry.

The cards barely say where they are from, but include "alarming" messages
that our warranties are about to expire and "encouraging" us to call the
number on the card to extend the warranty before it is too late.

My mother got taken in by this scam a few years before she died. She called
the number on the card really only intending to find out who it was from and
what it was all about. They (no relation to the dealer or manufacturer of
her car) got her credit card number from her and proceeded to bill something
like 19.99 a month for her "extended warranty coverage". She had no clue
when I questioned the charge on the credit card statement. She had nothing
to indicate how to file a claim or what was covered. For that matter she
had an extended warranty they bought from the dealer that the dealer kept
forgetting about and losing the records of.

I'm going through a similar mess with vacuum cleaner filters. I ordered one
online. Now they send another one kind of at random and bill it to the
card. We got two last week. Two separate shipments, two bills. I thought
it was worked out last time six months ago. We got rid of the stupid Shark
vacuum ages ago because we could never get filters when we needed them.

Jo

Old January 6th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
. net...

I'm going through a similar mess with vacuum cleaner filters. I ordered
one online. Now they send another one kind of at random and bill it to
the card. We got two last week. Two separate shipments, two bills. I
thought it was worked out last time six months ago. We got rid of the
stupid Shark vacuum ages ago because we could never get filters when we
needed them.

Jo

Call your credit card company anf file a complaint. They will remove the
charges if they were filed fraudulently, and they can take action to prevent
further charges from that company.

MaryL

Old January 6th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
I got my first (new) issue of Cat Fancy and Best Friends, both, in
the mail
today! What fun! I love to read so this is an excellent way to
reward a customer Sure beats the usual $20 or 15% off coupons
that require you to
spend money with the company in order to collect your "reward".
Kudos to them.

Jill

Watch out! There is a company (maybe more than one) that handles
these free subscriptions. When the free period (usually a year)
ends, they automatically bill your "renewal" to your credit card. It
is easy to cancel, but you do need to watch your statements and
immeditely cancel if you don't want it. In some cases, a postcard
will be sent in advance, but it isn't very obvious.

MaryL

I'll watch, but I don't see how they'd know what credit card to bill. I
never necessarily used the same one when I ordered from Newport News and in
fact I think the one I used most expired in 2005 and I cancelled it. I
saved a copy of the form I filled out and mailed back to Newport News; it
doesn't ask me for any credit card information.

Jill

Old January 6th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
. net...

I'm going through a similar mess with vacuum cleaner filters. I ordered
one online. Now they send another one kind of at random and bill it to
the card. We got two last week. Two separate shipments, two bills. I
thought it was worked out last time six months ago. We got rid of the
stupid Shark vacuum ages ago because we could never get filters when we
needed them.

Jo

Call your credit card company anf file a complaint. They will remove the
charges if they were filed fraudulently, and they can take action to
prevent further charges from that company.

Did that six months ago and will do it again. But it has to be done in
writing. Then again I have to do it in writing anyway since I can't hear
well enough to call.

Jo

Old January 6th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cybercinbad

Billing issues aside-

I'm very sensitive to stories about sick, injured, or at-risk animals.
I made a contribution to Best Friends (WONDERFUL organization, go to
the website and check out what AMAZING good they do) and they started
sending me the magazine. My husband throws it away every month before
I can see it because I'm sobbing uncontrollably by the 5th page. Lots
of happy stories but I just can't take the pathos!

cindy

Old January 6th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Good. It sounds like your may be legitimate if they didn't even ask for a
credit card for postage or a small "handling fee."

MaryL

Old January 6th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Watch out! There is a company (maybe more than one) that handles
these free subscriptions. When the free period (usually a year)
ends, they automatically bill your "renewal" to your credit card.

MaryL

I saved a copy of the form I filled out and mailed back to Newport
News; it doesn't ask me for any credit card information.

Jill

Good. It sounds like your may be legitimate if they didn't even ask
for a credit card for postage or a small "handling fee."

MaryL

Nope, nothing like that at all

Old January 6th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:
MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Watch out! There is a company (maybe more than one) that handles
these free subscriptions. When the free period (usually a year)
ends, they automatically bill your "renewal" to your credit card.

MaryL

I saved a copy of the form I filled out and mailed back to Newport
News; it doesn't ask me for any credit card information.

Jill

Good. It sounds like your may be legitimate if they didn't even ask
for a credit card for postage or a small "handling fee."

MaryL

Nope, nothing like that at all

Do you like the "Best Friends" mag? I don't think I've ever seen one
and was curious about it. "Cat Fancy" I can do without though. I ended
up cancelling my subscription over an article where they "reported" the
benefits to feeding dry cat food to zoo big cats. Iams to be exact.
Complete with an Iams ad splashed on the same page. They've prostituted
themselves to their advertisers, IMO.
It *is* a great picture book though. I always enjoyed the photos.
"Catnip" is about the best publication I've seen so far, WRT cat
health/behavior information.

Sherry