Help! New Cat Mom

Old January 30th 09, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Andrea[_2_]

Default Help! New Cat Mom

Hello! I am a new cat mom with some worries. I am having a hard time
leaving my cat Rudy (1.5 year old Tabby) at home while I am gone even
an hour. I think part of it is I am worried he will get into something
and get hurt or be lonely and decide to be overly snoopy. This is my
first cat ever and my husbands first in many years. He says everything
will be fine because we cat proofed, but I still worry about something
we missed! Help! I am going crazy! We have a lot of toys laying around
and a couch next to a window so he can peer out, but I still find
myself overly anxious leaving for even an hour!

Any suggestions?
Old January 31st 09, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 19:28:50 -0800, Andrea wrote:

Hello! I am a new cat mom with some worries. I am having a hard time
leaving my cat Rudy (1.5 year old Tabby) at home while I am gone even an
hour. I think part of it is I am worried he will get into something and
get hurt or be lonely and decide to be overly snoopy. This is my first cat
ever and my husbands first in many years. He says everything will be fine
because we cat proofed, but I still worry about something we missed! Help!
I am going crazy! We have a lot of toys laying around and a couch next to
a window so he can peer out, but I still find myself overly anxious
leaving for even an hour!

Any suggestions?

Most single cats spend their days mostly sleeping when no one is around.
You really should get a second cat, preferably a kitten (considering the
age of the one you have). Both must be neutered. Even a lone house cat
must be neutered. With two, they help keep each other busy and help
reduce excess weight gain.

Actually, most cats, alone or not, spend most of the daylight hours
sleeping, even when there is soneone around, just more when there isn't.

I've been living with cats for over thirty years, and in all that time,
the worst damage was a few broken dishes, and one cat that fell off a high
shelf and hit his head hard enough to suffer temporary brain damage. The
latter cat is currently kneading my right arm as I try to type. I don't
know who knocked the dishes off the counter - I wasn't home at the time.

It is important to keep breakable things well away from the cat, also
poisons. I have child-proof latches on all my lower cabinets except one
(it has a piece of rug in it for the cats) and turn-to-open bars on the
upper ones (CJ, the one kneading me, and Snowball will climb into any
cabinet they can open).

I currently have fourteen indoor/outdoor cats and for about half the time
living with cats, I've had at least three. Multiples are better.

BTW, you are not a cat mom, you are a cat slave. Get used to it - the cat
is in charge, and knows it.

May I recommend lurking in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes? It's both
entertaining and enlightening - it's a community of and for cat slaves ...
and sometimes their cats.

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

Old February 1st 09, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Stan Brown

Fri, 30 Jan 2009 19:13:01 -0600 from Ted Davis :
Most single cats spend their days mostly sleeping when no one is
around. You really should get a second cat, preferably a kitten
(considering the age of the one you have).

Well, maybe. Some cats naturally do much better if they are the only
cat in the house.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old February 1st 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Ralph

Cats will investigate anything they find interesting. They will play with
their toys, your toys, light beams, shadows, their own tails, balls of
crumpled paper, string, bugs, fax paper, and I'm sure lots I've missed.
You won't be able to prevent or foresee every accident about to happen. You
get to watch, and deal with it as it happens. But do pay attention to what
Rudy finds interesting... mine was a sock theif for years.

If you draw the cats attention to something you're afraid will happen, well,
I'm sure you can see it coming.
Mine has knocked down a fully-loaded bookcase, her metre-high scratching
post (with good support- she runs and attacks it) and persistantly chewed
phone cords for quite a while. She's now 17 years old, and I caught her
playing with my shadow yesterday, while I was dressing.

In younger days, I caught her catching fruit flies at night, by the sole
source of light in the room, the LED clock on the microwave.
I now know they don't require any light that I can see.

She's been a great companion, and a constant source of entertainment.
Learn from Rudy, and you'll both have fun.
Lots of praise at the scratching post...

Old February 14th 09, 06:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
msary80

http://msary.wikispaces.com/dog+types
Old May 16th 12, 07:07 PM
diycatstuff diycatstuff is offline
Banned

Location: Delaware, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by msary80 View Post
On Jan 30, 11:28*am, Andrea wrote:
Hello! I am a new cat mom with some worries. I am having a hard time
leaving my cat Rudy (1.5 year old Tabby) at home while I am gone even
an hour. I think part of it is I am worried he will get into something
and get hurt or be lonely and decide to be overly snoopy. This is my
first cat ever and my husbands first in many years. He says everything
will be fine because we cat proofed, but I still worry about something
we missed! Help! I am going crazy! We have a lot of toys laying around
and a couch next to a window so he can peer out, but I still find
myself overly anxious leaving for even an hour!

Any suggestions?

http://msary.wikispaces.com/dog+types

Our first cat dramatically changed (for the better) after getting a second cat. I highly recommend it. Also, I made our house more cat-friendly by installing cat wall shelves, an outside cat enclosure, and a few other things. All this is documented on my website:
www.diycatstuff.com

Please read our 'About Us' page - it tells how we went from zero cats to three and lived to tell about it!!!