Oh, Abelard....!!!

Old July 5th 05, 03:18 AM
Pat

Default Oh, Abelard....!!!

He stays out for days at a time. I haven't bothered posting about it since
the last time he vanished for almost 5 days but he's been doing the same
thing over and over. He'll stay gone for several days then show up for an
hour or so, then vanish for another 2-3 days, come home for an hour, go out
for 4 days, etc. etc.

Sometimes if it's a cool enough night to close the front door I will set the
locking cat flap for "In Only" in case he comes in during the night, then I
can at least see him in the morning. (Unlike Lily, Tommy and Billy, he
hasn't figured out how to open it from inside when it's locked this way.)
But I don't dare make him stay in very long after I get up, or else he will
do his business anywhere but the litter box, as if to say "Let me out, or
I'll stink up this whole house."

This is a cat who used to sleep next to me under the covers in my bed, no
matter what! The cat who followed me everywhere like a shadow. Now I almost
never see him anymore. I am sad and starting to worry! I haven't seen him
since last Thursday morning. I think this is a new record for missing time,
and I've been calling him all day to no avail.

I want Abelard to stay home, and behave himself. How can I solve this one?

Old July 5th 05, 03:43 AM
jmcquown

Pat wrote:
This is a cat who used to sleep next to me under the covers in my
bed, no matter what! The cat who followed me everywhere like a
shadow. Now I almost never see him anymore. I am sad and starting to
worry! I haven't seen him since last Thursday morning. I think this
is a new record for missing time, and I've been calling him all day
to no avail.

I want Abelard to stay home, and behave himself. How can I solve this
one?

Oh dear. I wish I could offer advice but Persia never goes on the OUT
unless I pick her up and put her in her kitty-walk on the patio. I know
there is a way to attach this sort of device to a cat door but given your
entry-way that wouldn't be practical, would it? Purrs that Abelard comes
home and stays there!

Jill

Old July 5th 05, 04:13 AM
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 21:18:37 -0500, "Pat"
yodeled:

[...]

I am so sorry, Pat. Purring for him to get his butt home.

Theresa
Old July 5th 05, 04:33 AM
Pat

"Rrb" wrote

All that I can suggest is keeping him inside, and hiring a pet
behaviorist. Maybe your vet can suggest some drug that will help but
this sounds like a behavior issue. Also didn't this just start when a
new kitten was brought home?

I thought it might be connected with Beatrice's arrival, also, but the first
few weeks she was here, they slept together on a chair and played together
like best friends. He still plays with her when he is here.

Old July 5th 05, 04:34 AM
Rrb

Pat wrote:
[...]

new kitten was brought home? Good luck

rrb.
Old July 5th 05, 05:08 AM
Takayuki

"Pat" wrote:

I thought it might be connected with Beatrice's arrival, also, but the first
few weeks she was here, they slept together on a chair and played together
like best friends. He still plays with her when he is here.

I wonder what's out there that's so interesting? Maybe he found some
new friends? With Abelard, you never know what kind of crowd he might
have fallen in with.

Old July 5th 05, 05:21 AM
Pat

"Takayuki" wrote in message
"Pat" wrote:

I thought it might be connected with Beatrice's arrival, also, but the

first
few weeks she was here, they slept together on a chair and played

together
like best friends. He still plays with her when he is here.

I wonder what's out there that's so interesting? Maybe he found some
new friends? With Abelard, you never know what kind of crowd he might
have fallen in with.

I thought it might be the skunks again. Yesterday there was a family of them
frolicking around and under an old (non-operational) vehicle in the yard.
All the other cats were out there watching and sniffing noses with them, and
I figured Abelard must be close, but no...

Old July 5th 05, 05:51 AM
mlbriggs

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 21:18:37 -0500, Pat wrote:

[...]

Is he neutered? He probably has adopted another home. Does he appear
well fed? MLB

Old July 5th 05, 06:10 AM
Pat

"mlbriggs" wrote

Is he neutered? He probably has adopted another home. Does he appear
well fed? MLB

He's neutered. There are no other houses around me except Gloria's, where
there are four large dogs and two cats, and she hasn't seen Abelard either.

Weight-wise, he's always been quite thin, but healthy-looking.

Old July 5th 05, 07:58 AM

Pat wrote:
[...]

That's really weird, since it's a new behavior. I wonder if the hunting
has been really good and that's what he's out doing. But for days? Be
nice if we could put a little kitty-cam around his neck.
Sherry