Soy products femminizing our (human) boys?

Old January 23rd 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joey DoWop Dee

Default Soy products femminizing our (human) boys?

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:04:30 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote
(in article ):

Well, that wasn't exactly the response I was expecting. The
bottom line answer is that I'm not homophobic. I have no fear of
homosexuals.

Maybe the man has "no fear of homosexuals" (the literal meaning of
"homophobia" ) but even on the off-chance that is true, he's failing to
equate his hatred with fear or to recognize that's where his hatred stems.

Please: leave him to his own fates.

--
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old January 23rd 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

The difference is that it has never come out directly. Laughing over a story
(Louie used to freak out opponents in college hockey games by placing the
stick in strategic areas of the other guy's anatomy) is one thing, that's
just getting a few good chuckles over an anecdote. However, posting this
minister's uninformed drivel on a board which, frankly, doesn't give a damn
is going to earn a person a homophobe medal in really short order, and I
don't blame anyone for being upset. And this includes myself. The post is
offensive, and that one about Brokeback Mountain just as bad. If you want to
make the LDS (and by extension yourself) look good, then do what Jesus did
and sit to dinner with those who would be called sinners and stop giving a
rat's @$$ about what other people do in bed. When we have global warming,
disease, war and unequal rights between genders and races to worry about,
homosexuality is really a very small matter.

Blessed be,
Baha

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Baha has seen some sides of my personality which not many people
have. Normally, I'm a rather calm and collected person. I do have
a sense of humor, but not many people see it. We did have one
conversation over dinner, when Louie mentioned psyching out some
other folks, playing into their homophobia. I think during that
discussion I made it reasonably clear that I'm not homophobic. I
thought she'd have remembered that.

So, yes, it has come up in conversation.

Unless the topic came up in conversation, how would Baha
know? Those of us who have read your posts here may be in a
better position to judge. (Unless the opinions you express
are simply trolling, not what you really think.)

Old January 23rd 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Well, that wasn't exactly the response I was expecting. The
bottom line answer is that I'm not homophobic. I have no fear of
homosexuals.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Can I ask a couple of simple questions before you disappear behind my spam
filter?

Why are you even on this group? You don't have cats, and have never shown
any fondness or affinity for them,

And why do you feel the need to use the group as a means to haunt Liz?
She seems a particularly lovely person with no taste at all for
confrontation. But you not only come to the group and try to create
controversy, but seem determined to draw her into it.

Could you just go away already and find another venue for your diatribes?

Jo

My aunt and uncle have been members of the LDS church for 54 years. I have
never seen them show any homophobia.
Ok, it isn't encouraged by their church. It isn't up to them to judge and
they know it.
I feel sad that Chris posts as "Stormin Mormon." whilst posting his personal
views. He is not at all typical of Mormons as I know them.

Tweed

Old January 23rd 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

[...]

It says an awful lot about him that many of us have felt the need to defend
the LDS church after some of his posts. It is really sad that he feels the
need to advertise his church affiliation along with his antisocial views.

Jo

Old January 24th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cantate

Jumping back in after a long silence,,,

So, what about the entire population of Japan, not to mention China and
Korea, where the main source of protein has been soy products for
centuries?

And what does this have to do with cats?

Cantate in Japan

Old January 24th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon

After some discussion (and a fresh perspective or two), I'm
finding out that this article is both poorly written, and
offensive to many. Oops! Such was not my goal. What's going on,
is that I'm rapidly losing confidence in the establishment, on so
many levels. I've taken a couple medical problems to established
doctors, and had them make the matters worse. And a couple
friends of mine, much the same. The establishment changes
position back and forth also. Is butter killing us? How about
margarine with trans fats? Cyclamates, saccharine, or Splenda? Or
was it sugar that is killing us all?

I do have a couple friend of mine who are raising their baby on
formula. Could it be soy product? When I read the article, I
didn't see any anti-this or anti-that. Except for
anti-commercially prepared stuff. The anti bias that I totally
missed, others picked right up on it.

My goal of posting to this board, is that the folks here seem
sincere and caring. And my reaction to the article was "we're
hurting members of our families!". Yes, it's not cat related, but
it sure seemed important to families. And now, I'm finding out
that different people see a whole different content in the
article, different than what I'd seen. My mistake, and I sure am
sorry. Never intended to mean anything other than that the
commercial factories aren't putting out healthy product.

And, so, I am writing to apologize to anyone who was offended.
That sure wasn't my intent.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Baha via CatKB.com" u18616@uwe wrote in message
First and foremost, this is in urban-myth category. I'm

reminded of things
like spider eggs in Bubble Yum, or kangaroo meat in Mickey D's

burgers.
Secondly and more importantly, you quoted from a minister's

book. the author
is not an endocrinologist nor has he any position in the

scientific research
community. What does this man know about the effect of soy

products on the
male endocrine system? the logic is flawed on multiple levels.

A mother
nurses her infant son, he is likely to get a certain amount of

female
hormones through the breast milk. If we wish to continue with

this logic, any
male who has been breastfed is a homosexual waiting to happen.

Why, WHY would
you take the word of a homophobic minister as proven medical

science? Let
this man stick to his pulpit (although his attitudes are so

revolting to me
that I wouldn't go into his church for a million dollars laid

out in a line.)

Blessed be,
Baha

Stormin Mormon wrote:
So, you don't care about potential damage to human boys? Wow,

Old January 24th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 24, 8:37*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[...]

I wasn't really "offended". A better description was, I just thought
the whole article was eyeball-rollingly silly. Too silly to warrant
being offended.

Sherry

Old January 24th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

Stormin Mormon wrote:
So, you don't care about potential damage to human boys? Wow,- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

A. You didn't read the articles carefully and come to the conclusion
that the issues they raised weren't medically and scientifically sound
BEFORE posting them here on a cat Newsgroup?

B. The question asked in the subject line of this thread was
specifically about "harm" being done to men and boys through eating soy
products which supposedly might turn them into 'girly-men' to
paraphrase the words of California's lamentable Governator. If it had
been a general question about "Are soy products safe for (all) human
consumption?" you would have run into a less angry response.

C. Given that the Chinese and Japanese have been eating soy products
for centuries, and both China and Japan are well populated to say the
least, I'd say there's little likelihood that soy products are either a
deterent to sexual activity, or that they have a feminizing influence
on men.

D.If I could find a food that would make men less inclined to violence
while not altering their dispositions in other ways, I'd make a point
of feeding it to the entire Bush Administration.

Melissa

Old January 24th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon

I can't describe how embarassed I am. After all, I'm the guy who
checks things on www.snopes.com and reminds folks not to spread
internet legends.

I'll have to try that -- avoiding scare stories. After all, what
can one person do?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Cheryl Perkins" wrote in message

I find it really helps my peace of mind if I pay no attention

whatsoever
to scare stories in the media. If I can't quite manage that, I

would try
to find the original reports the stories are based on before

panicking. A
reputable writer will give enough names for you to track down

the original
research (although you may need access to a university

library). A writer
who simply rants and doesn't give you the information you need

to check
the research should be ignored. There's an awful lot of junk

information
out there. There's also a lot of situations, including medical

ones, which
are *not* yet fully understood in spite of all the advances of

the past
century or so. Moreover, even established and excellent

doctors are human
- there are limits to their knowledge and abilities, and they

sometimes
make mistakes.

*Life* kills us - no one comes out alive! And you're playing

the odds when
you choose your lifestyle. If you avoid something that is

statistically
associated with a shorter life, like smoking or a high-fat diet

and
low-exercise life, the odds are that you will live longer than

you would
if you smoked, at nothing but hamburgers, and never exercised.

But there
aren't any guarantees on the individual level from statistical
generalities.

sorry. Never intended to mean anything other than that the
commercial factories aren't putting out healthy product.

Commercial products can be healthy and safe (ie

uncontaminated), or not,
depending on the business and which products are chosen by the

consumer.
Soy is a well-known and generally safe nutrient as far as I

ever heard,
although I think it's a mistake to focus on a single nutrient

in your
diet. I think people should eat a variety of foods, so that

their various
benefits and risks balance out, more or less.

--
Cheryl

Old January 24th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Cheryl Perkins wrote:

I find it really helps my peace of mind if I pay no attention whatsoever
to scare stories in the media. If I can't quite manage that, I would try
to find the original reports the stories are based on before panicking.

And by the time you're as old as I am, you will have lived
through several about-faces among respectable researchers,
and learn to ignore most of them! I try to eat a balanced
diet, avoid foods that seem to bother my own digestive
system, and don't pay much attention to the "latest
research". However, I do tend to opt for the "natural",
unfooled-around-with, as opposed to the artificially
enhanced. (Like "fat free half and half" - an oxymoron in
any case - but have you read the LABELS for it?)