Styptic Powder Ingested - OK or not?

Old January 5th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Styptic Powder Ingested - OK or not?

I was clipping everyone's claws today and got too close to the quick on two
of Jessie's back toes. This is the first time this has ever happened.
Jessie didn't seem too upset, but *I* was! The clipper "kit" I had came
with a little bag of styptic powder to I used that even though there was
only a tiny drop of blood. Of course, DUH, she immediately licked it off.
Does anyone know if styptic powder can be harmful if ingested in small
amounts?

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 5th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley

On 5 Jan, 12:56, "CatNipped" wrote:

Does anyone know if styptic powder can be harmful if ingested in small
amounts?

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...3/03-14818.htm

FDA report that says no toxicity in Humans over 75 years but unable to
find anything on Google to suggest it's in any way toxic to cats-
imagine since the scenario you just described is very common (done it
myself and watched kitty lick the blood and powder off- no ill effects
observed) that if it was a problem it would be there

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old January 5th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Lesley" wrote in message
On 5 Jan, 12:56, "CatNipped" wrote:

Does anyone know if styptic powder can be harmful if ingested in small
amounts?

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...3/03-14818.htm

FDA report that says no toxicity in Humans over 75 years but unable to
find anything on Google to suggest it's in any way toxic to cats-
imagine since the scenario you just described is very common (done it
myself and watched kitty lick the blood and powder off- no ill effects
observed) that if it was a problem it would be there

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Thanks Lesley, I didn't find anything about styptic powder being toxic to
cats but I called my pharmacist to double check and she said it contains all
inert materials so should cause no harm.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 5th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Styptic Powder Ingested - OK or not? BTW

BTW, we tried something different when clipping Samazon's claws - we brought
her outside to our upper deck to do it. She was so distracted and
intimidated by being outside that she was (fairly) quiet while we quickly
clipped all 18 claws without me being shredded in the process!!!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 6th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

I've done the same thing with my 2 cats. Take them outside to do it. They
are so preoccupied with being outside, they don't have time to think about
me clipping their nails and I can get all of them done with no fussing and
fighting. Unfortunately, I live in the mid-west so can't do this during
winter months like now.

Sue
---