Kitten survives spin in family's tumble dryer

Old February 10th 04, 07:28 PM
cat

Default Kitten survives spin in family's tumble dryer

KITTEN SURVIVES SPIN IN FAMILY'S TUMBLE DRYER

09:00 - 06 February 2004

A kitten called Mia is staying well clear of tumble dryers after she woke to
find herself trapped in one and being given a hot, high-speed spin. Mia is
among the latest additions to the home of BBC Radio Cornwall presenter
Laurence Reed, his wife Nikki and their four children in Boscastle,
Cornwall.

Cats are notorious for putting themselves in peril as they search for warmth
and comfort. Car engines and airing cupboards are two of their favourites.

But little Mia opted for a tumble dryer when its door was left ajar by the
unsuspecting Reeds.

Later, when the door was shut and the dryer switched on, the trapped Mia
quickly felt the heat.

Her owner, Mrs Reed, did not spot a black ball of fur and dumped a load of
washing on top of her before turning the machine on for a 90-minute cycle.

Mia found herself stuck in the revolving machine for 40 minutes before Nikki
was alerted by an unusual smell and went to investigate.

By the time a Mia was plucked to safety, she was limp, panting and her eyes
were rolling, said Nikki.

She added: "I took her outside to try and cool her down, but she was just
totally lifeless."

Mrs Reed rushed Mia to the vet. She said: "The vet told us she might not
make it. He thought she would have to remain in overnight on a drip.

"But he gave her some injections and she came round. The vet could not
believe it."

Radio presenter Mr Reed, known for his high energy performances on the BBC
Radio Cornwall airwaves, slept peacefully through the drama.

He awoke at 3am to drive down to Truro to start his early shift at the radio
station, and was surprised to see elder daughter Rebecca, 12, cuddling the
cat in bed.

Laurence said: "I was oblivious to all this happening. I had gone to bed at
8.30pm so I did not know this had been going on.

"Mia used to be a roaming cat. She sticks close to us now. If we put the
tumble dryer on, she legs it."

Old February 11th 04, 01:17 AM
-L.

"cat" wrote in message ...
KITTEN SURVIVES SPIN IN FAMILY'S TUMBLE DRYER

09:00 - 06 February 2004

A kitten called Mia is staying well clear of tumble dryers after she woke to
find herself trapped in one and being given a hot, high-speed spin. Mia is
among the latest additions to the home of BBC Radio Cornwall presenter
Laurence Reed, his wife Nikki and their four children in Boscastle,
Cornwall.

Cats are notorious for putting themselves in peril as they search for warmth
and comfort. Car engines and airing cupboards are two of their favourites.

But little Mia opted for a tumble dryer when its door was left ajar by the
unsuspecting Reeds.

Not unusual. When I worked at the vet, we had 3 or 4 "dryer kitties".
Some were in *really* bad shape when we got them.

In one case, it was suspected that a 6 yr. old kid put the cat in
there
intentionally. A lady brought the cat in with classic "dryer kitty"
symptoms, and when questioned about it, she said that her kid "found"
the cat that way, and that thye hadn't been doing laundry at all.
After we got kitty under trt, we sent her home and the lady called
back about a half-hour later saying she had found feces, etc. in the
dryer with some clothes and that they dryer was warm. Bingo. Her kid
was a liar, on top of apparently having some serious mental issue.

-L.

Old February 11th 04, 05:41 AM
William Hamblen

On 2004-02-10, Karen wrote:

Poor kitten. Lucky kitten.

Once had a cat sneak into the dryer to get a brief tumble. It raised
an immediate howl so it did not get a long ride, but in its fright it
pooped all over the formerly clean clothes.