Are Bengal cats really hypoallergenic?

Old March 11th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Are Bengal cats really hypoallergenic?

Hello,

I have read from different sources than Bengal cats were hypoallergenic
and from others that they were not!

I was thinking about getting one as a gift to my boyfriend for our
6th anniversary but he is allergic to cats and dogs!!

Would it be a good idea to get him one?

Thanks for advising me!

Lalee

Old March 11th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Lalee wrote:
Hello,

I have read from different sources than Bengal cats were hypoallergenic
and from others that they were not!

I was thinking about getting one as a gift to my boyfriend for our
6th anniversary but he is allergic to cats and dogs!!

Would it be a good idea to get him one?

No. A pet is never a good gift. Bengals are not hypoallergenic (NO
cats are!) and a Bengal is not a good first cat.

Thanks for advising me!

You're welcome.
-L.

Old March 11th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Lalee" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have read from different sources than Bengal cats were hypoallergenic
and from others that they were not!

I was thinking about getting one as a gift to my boyfriend for our
6th anniversary but he is allergic to cats and dogs!!

Would it be a good idea to get him one?

Thanks for advising me!

No, they are not--moreover, they are hyperactive and a lot of cat to
handle, from what I understand. Get your boyfriend, if he wants a cat,
to take Claritin. I am allergic to cats, but live with two and Claritin
works
for me. (If it doesn't for him, there are others, like Zyrtec, that might.)

I also want to mention that getting a cat for someone as a gift is not a
good idea, especially if you are planning to buy a breeder cat instead
of adopting one of the many gorgeous cats that need homes. Your
boyfriend should really want a cat--they are a 20+ year commitment.
See if he wants one and if he does, take him to a shelter and let him
choose it. You pay for the spay and adoption fee. (Maybe 1/4 the
cost of a breeder cat, too.)

What you really don't want to do is create another unwanted cat by
supporting a breeder then having your boyfriend give him up due
to allergies or the fact that he does not really want a cat, right?

Why do you want to get him a cat? Just curious.

Old March 11th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Lalee wrote:
Hello,

I have read from different sources than Bengal cats were hypoallergenic
and from others that they were not!

I was thinking about getting one as a gift to my boyfriend for our
6th anniversary but he is allergic to cats and dogs!!

Would it be a good idea to get him one?

No. A pet is never a good gift. Bengals are not hypoallergenic (NO
cats are!) and a Bengal is not a good first cat.

Thanks for advising me!

You're welcome.
-L.

Lalee got the short-winded and the long-winded answer!

Old March 11th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Yes, as the other posters have said, never get someone a pet for a gift. If
your boyfriend does want a cat and is willing to take meds for his
allergies, he can adopt a beautiful cat from a shelter.
Gail

Old March 11th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Lalee wrote:
Hello,

I have read from different sources than Bengal cats were hypoallergenic
and from others that they were not!

I was thinking about getting one as a gift to my boyfriend for our
6th anniversary but he is allergic to cats and dogs!!

I see no reason why he can't have a pussy for his birthday

yes, give him a good pussy, Im sure he'll appreciate it

Old March 11th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

He just happened to fall in love with a picture of a Bengal cat for
sale on Craigslist! I caught him many times looking at the kitten's
picture the week after, and doing online research about this breed...

check out these picture, isn't it the cutest kitten in the world?

http://www.craigslist.org/sby/for/139085485.html

Woudn't it be the most amazing gift? Of course we both know what a
serious commitment it is, and I want to make sure that we are both
ready to welcome a kitten ...

Old March 11th 06, 06:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On 10 Mar 2006 18:08:33 -0800, "Lalee" wrote:

Hello,

I have read from different sources than Bengal cats were hypoallergenic
and from others that they were not!

I have read from different sources that Bengal cats will partially
trash your house and from other sources that they will completely
trash your house. I don't know what to think.

I was thinking about getting one as a gift to my boyfriend for our
6th anniversary but he is allergic to cats and dogs!!

It sounds like you want to make damn good and sure there won't be a
7th.

Would it be a good idea to get him one?

How about a bonsai tree? I had a girlfriend who got me a bonsai tree
once. "Must water daily without fail." Gee, thanks sugar-pie, a
pre-arranged ****up for me to feel guilty about. Of course it died.

Thanks for advising me!

We're always here for you.

Charlie
Old March 11th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On 10 Mar 2006 21:32:19 -0800, "Lalee" wrote:

He just happened to fall in love with a picture of a Bengal cat for
sale on Craigslist! I caught him many times looking at the kitten's
picture the week after, and doing online research about this breed...

check out these picture, isn't it the cutest kitten in the world?

http://www.craigslist.org/sby/for/139085485.html

Woudn't it be the most amazing gift? Of course we both know what a
serious commitment it is, and I want to make sure that we are both
ready to welcome a kitten ...

Get him a book about Bengal cats, read it with him, and then discuss
it. Seriously. I implore you. These things are more like miniature
leopards than housecats. They're beautiful, they're exotic, and they
will destroy your house. They are also prone to illnesses that don't
affect regular cats. They only make sense for serious hobbiests who
have experience, disposable income for special veterinary needs
together with the judgement to choose the right vet, and a willingness
to arrange their lives around the care of an animal. Last year, we
had a lady in this group who posted the saddest story you can imagine,
about getting a couple of Bengal kittens and having them die. They
became paralyzed from a vaccination that would have been fine for
ordinary cats, and the vet probably didn't know any better because so
few people have Bengals.

I am not talking down to you, by the way. I include myself with the
vast majority of people who would be begging for trouble by getting a
Bengal as a pet. I know just enough about them to know I couldn't
handle one.

If you both study up and decide you are willing to make the commitment
and lifestyle changes necessary, it should be a thoughtful decision,
planned and discussed ahead of time.

Charlie
Old March 11th 06, 07:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Lalee" wrote in message
ups.com...
He just happened to fall in love with a picture of a Bengal cat for
sale on Craigslist! I caught him many times looking at the kitten's
picture the week after, and doing online research about this breed...

check out these picture, isn't it the cutest kitten in the world?

http://www.craigslist.org/sby/for/139085485.html

Woudn't it be the most amazing gift? Of course we both know what a
serious commitment it is, and I want to make sure that we are both
ready to welcome a kitten ...

It's a cute kitten, but there are plenty as cute or cuter at your
local shelter. $650? For a glorified tabby? Come on now.