Cat pooping all over the house - help!

Old November 6th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Deborah Trujillo

Default Cat pooping all over the house - help!

In early September my husband and I adopted an 11-month old gray tabby
neutered male from the local shelter. At first he wouldn't eat (he had a
brother at the shelter who was the same way at that time) so I took him to
the vets and learned he had diarrhea so he was on Flagyl for a week.

He was also on antibiotics in case of any intestional problems. A couple
weeks ago I took him in because of a bald spot above his paw. A skin scrape
revealed some bacteria - however, no ringworm turned up in the fungal
culture. He was on antibiotic medication for this for 2 weeks until Friday.
Saturday he pooped right outside of his litterbox which I attributed to
confusion as I had just purchased a pad to put under it. We have stone tile
floors in our house and had a rug under the coffee table until yesterday
when he pooped on it 3 times. I thought at first he didn't like the
different cat litter so I replaced it with Jonny Cat (I used that for our
last 2 cats with no problem).

He again last night pooped on that rug and also pooped in the bathroom my
husband uses as well as the day bed in our back bedroom. He has had
diarrhea which I attribute to the antibiotics and we've never had this
problem with him before. The box is scooped every day and dumped out and
cleaned once a week.

I'm at my wits end and my husband is ready to get rid of the cat (if that
happens we'll take him back to the shelter which is no-kill).

I have a call in to the vet but does anyone have any suggestions?

Old November 6th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Deborah Trujillo wrote:
[...]

How many boxes do you have? Some cats prefer to have one box for #1 and
one for #2. Is it a covered box? Some cats don't like covered boxes.
Can you call the shelter and find out what brand of litter they use and
try that? Also, I haven't used Jonny Cat, but perhaps it has too strong
of a smell and he doesn't like it. A brand like Everclean has a
scent-free type that doesn't have any of the strong perfumes some
brands do.

Also, are you using an enzymatic cleaner, like Nature's Miracle, to
clean the areas he goes on to make sure the scent is gone?

Rene

Old November 6th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

This is a sign that there is still a medical problem with him, I think. He
should have two boxes. Use unscented, scooping litter and no hood on the
box.
Gail

Old November 6th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Deborah Trujillo

The box isn't covered. Up until this weekend he did not have a problem
doing both in the same box. I was using the Special Kitty Brand (which they
use at the vets). Special kitty is Wal-Mart's store brand. He used that
without a problem.

He is staying at the vet's for a couple days and they're going to see if
they can't straighten out the problem. They will have him on flagyl and see
if he'll poop in the box there. If the stool is still soft, he said there
may be a food allergy issue. He also said this may have been why Tumbleweed
was in the shelter to begin with and I told him that this is Tumbleweed's
first home as he was born at a vet's when the owner couldn't keep the
mother.

Thanks for your advice!

On 11/6/06 6:58 AM, in article
, "Rene S."

Old November 6th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Deborah Trujillo

I've been doing all of that except having 2 boxes as up to now he had no
problem using the same box. He's at the vet's for a couple days.

On 11/6/06 7:13 AM, in article
t, "Gail"

Old November 6th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:11:05 GMT, Deborah Trujillo
wrote:

[...]

I would suggest taking up the rugs he is pooping on, assuming that you
are able to take them up, until you get this problem under control.
Also, if he is pooping the the same area(s) consistently, move the litter
boxes to those areas and then, as he uses them, gradually move them to
where you want them to be. As another poster mentioned, you definitely
need more than 1 box, and get rid of the hood if it has one. My mother
had this same problem with her kitten and the above worked for her. Good
luck!

--
Lynne

Old November 6th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Debbie

We did take up the rugs. Unfortunately, he also pooped on the daybed in
our back bedroom so now we're concerned he's going to poop on other
furniture.

I have him at the vet's now and they're going to try to straighten him
out. It was suggested I buy the cat litter I was using until Saturday
(Special Kitty). I also had fed him the Nutro brand of cat food
because that's what he was fed at the Shelter.

Lynne wrote:
on Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:11:05 GMT, Deborah Trujillo

[snip]

Old November 6th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
GWB

Be sure to "salt" the box with a turd.
He might get the message.