Getting ready for a new aby kitten in Chicago-advice on vets

Old July 27th 03, 04:50 AM
Sherry

| Besides that, we know ours are purebred because the pond scum people
| who relinquish them are all too happy to provide the papers,

| That's what I mean, that they come in with Pedigrees.

But isn't a "return clause" standard in adoption contracts for pedigreed
cats? Or is that a convenient myth too?

I don't think the average BYB even has contracts. Like Lyn said, its always
Persians and Siamese, too. I guess they're common enough that one BYB can buy a
Mommy Persian and a Daddy Persian from another BYB without spay/neuter
agreements and voila! They're in bidness. Arrggh.. You know what else really
asses me, while I'm on a roll? BYB's who like to screw around and breed their
Himmie to the neighbor's Persian, or whatever, "Just to see what the kittens
look like." That's probably how twisty cats got started. Some stupid BYB
screwing around.
Sorry. Off the soapbox now.
Sherry
Old July 27th 03, 09:01 AM

Arjun Ray wrote:
But isn't a "return clause" standard in adoption contracts for pedigreed
cats? Or is that a convenient myth too?

Well, it's a convenient myth if you go to any breeder. Not all breeders
are equal. It's definitely hard to find a responsible breeder, no one is
denying that. But one thing one should look for is a clause to return to
the breeder (not that one should want to return the pet, but that the
breeder cares enoguh to want ot make sure any animal she puts in the world
is always going to have a good home, even if it means coming back to her).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old July 27th 03, 09:01 AM

Arjun Ray wrote:
But isn't a "return clause" standard in adoption contracts for pedigreed
cats? Or is that a convenient myth too?

Well, it's a convenient myth if you go to any breeder. Not all breeders
are equal. It's definitely hard to find a responsible breeder, no one is
denying that. But one thing one should look for is a clause to return to
the breeder (not that one should want to return the pet, but that the
breeder cares enoguh to want ot make sure any animal she puts in the world
is always going to have a good home, even if it means coming back to her).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old July 27th 03, 10:32 PM

-L. wrote:
her, and have had to deal with her myself on a couple of occassions.
There is no torture horrid enough for her, IMO.

Yeah, just cause it is in the contract doesn't mean they actually care.
But not having it in the contract is a pretty good sign they don't.

It's hard finding a good breeder which is why I probably won't do it again
and I want to get my dog from a purebreed rescue so I don't have to worry
that I supported some one who really shouldn't be breeding (and yes, I'll
also be looking at the shelters and I'm not ruling out find a dog I find
in the shelters that just seems to fit).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old July 27th 03, 10:32 PM

-L. wrote:
her, and have had to deal with her myself on a couple of occassions.
There is no torture horrid enough for her, IMO.

Yeah, just cause it is in the contract doesn't mean they actually care.
But not having it in the contract is a pretty good sign they don't.

It's hard finding a good breeder which is why I probably won't do it again
and I want to get my dog from a purebreed rescue so I don't have to worry
that I supported some one who really shouldn't be breeding (and yes, I'll
also be looking at the shelters and I'm not ruling out find a dog I find
in the shelters that just seems to fit).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old July 28th 03, 06:53 PM
Yngver

(-L.) wrote:

If it looks, acts, walks and smells purebred, it's purebred enough to
have come from purebred parents or parentage.

Not in my opinion. Plenty of cats may look like a Siamese or a British
shorthair, but they are not purebred and did not come from any breeder. Some
characteristics of a particular breed can arise naturally in mixed breed cats,
after all. It doesn't mean there was ever a purebred cat in the cat's
background.

Some come in with
pedigrees, as well.

If from a legimitate registry, I would consider those purebred then.

If there's any doubt, it is listed was listed as
a "breed-mix", in the shelters I worked at.

I'm not saying they aren't, just wondering
how your shelter determines that. The reason I ask is because if I type in

certain breed at petfinders.com, I can see that none of the cats listed are
actually that breed,

People list them as such hoping someone interested in the breed will
look at them and fall in love. Not an uncommon tactic.

I know, but those cats did not come from any breeder.

and I don't even have a very educated eye. I have a friend
who works in a breed rescue, and it's pretty much the same thing--most of

the
time the cats in question turn out to be mixed breed.

Many are, but for others it doesn't take a brain scientist to figure
out that one parent, at least, was purebred. Just another way our
breeder friends are contributing to the problem.

As I said, I don't really believe that. I've seen plenty of cats with white
feet that never had a Birman, Ragdoll or Snowshoe cat in their background.
That's because white feet can show up naturally. The Birman rescue, for
example, uses CFA judges and breeders to determine whether a cat is really a
purebred, pedigreed Birman, using related pedigree papers. This way they can
trace the Birman back to the breeder. While to many people a particular cat may
look just like a true Birman, the rescue can tell that it's not.

So to assume that just because a cat looks like a certain breed of cat it must
have come from a breeder at some point is false.