How to "help the medicine go down"

Old August 2nd 03, 03:05 AM
L. Kelly

Default How to "help the medicine go down"

"Bernie" wrote in message
news | My cat is prone to urinary tract infections, which the vet treats him
| with antibiotics. I've tried pills, but he spits them out half the time.
| I tried stroking his throat, but that doesn't help. I also tried a
| plunger type device for this purpose, which shoots the pill down
| his throat, but still no success. The last several times I've tried
| liquid antibiotic administered with a syringe. Much of this he
| spits out, and sometimes vomits, so I don't think he's getting
| much of the medication. I can't put the pill or liquid in his food,
| because he just won't eat it. Beside the injection that the vet gives
| him, how else can I ensure he gets the antibiotic he needs?
|
| -Thanks

If you don't already feed your cat wet food, then start. He will probably think of it as
a treat.

If the medication is in pill form, then crush it. If it's a capsul, then open it. Mix the
now powdered medication in a couple teaspoons of wet food and feed it to your cat. Don't
give your cat anything else to eat until that is gone.
--
Hugs,
Lynn

*strip CLOTHES to reply*
Homepage:
http://members.shaw.ca/sewfinefashions/
See my boys: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/papavince_29/

Old August 2nd 03, 03:05 AM
L. Kelly

Old August 2nd 03, 04:59 AM
BarB

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 21:51:22 -0400, "Bernie" wrote:

My cat is prone to urinary tract infections, which the vet treats him
with antibiotics. I've tried pills, but he spits them out half the time.
I tried stroking his throat, but that doesn't help. I also tried a
plunger type device for this purpose, which shoots the pill down
his throat, but still no success. The last several times I've tried
liquid antibiotic administered with a syringe. Much of this he
spits out, and sometimes vomits, so I don't think he's getting
much of the medication. I can't put the pill or liquid in his food,
because he just won't eat it. Beside the injection that the vet gives
him, how else can I ensure he gets the antibiotic he needs?

-Thanks

I've had good luck with coating the pill with butter. That goes down
pretty easily provided you can hang onto the slippery pill.

My second suggestion would be to look for a compounding pharmacy in your
area. Ask your vet. I've used one for a ringworm drug and my kittens
lapped every last drop from the syringe. If you don't have a local
pharmacy, a search on the internet for "compounding pharmacy" and cats
will turn up some online sources.

Barb

Old August 2nd 03, 02:57 PM
andr0meda

I crashed the pill and mixed in Xena's favorite treat: choicest raw mince
beef. I was so lucky; she ate all! (I made sure that she was pretty hungry
beforehand) It was a year ago, and her urinary problem is history. Good
luck
Andr0

Old August 2nd 03, 09:54 PM
luna

Our cat was also prone to urinary tract infections. We tried about
everything to get her to take the little pill. Canned food, tuna, lunch
meat, hamburger-- nothing worked. She would either eat around it or ignore
the food altogether. We finally found one thing that worked. She loves
kitty treats and comes running whenever she hears that can shake. The
Pounce brand hairball treats work wonderfully! Make sure that you buy the
soft kind, not crunchy. They have a goo in the middle of them. Just
squeeze open one end, insert pill and seal shut. Give it to your kitty as
you would any treat. He'll never know the difference. She's even trained
to the point that she comes running whenever she hears a medicine bottle.
Go figure! Hope this helps.

Luna and Bubba too