No more Wellness

Old May 16th 05, 11:06 PM
Joe Canuck

cmtowle wrote:

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message

cmtowle wrote:

Hi Mike,

We've had the same problem in Canada, but the retailers have been kept

very

well informed by OMH re the problem (equipment failure).

...and that is the problem with relying on a food from a small
manufacturer.

Hi,

It's a real balance. On one hand, some of the smaller companies may well be
more meticulous than larger conglomerates as far as quality control
pertaining to all aspects of manufacturing a food is concerned. On the other
hand they might not have a contingency plan when something such as a major
equipment failure happens. This would be another reason to feed a variety of
foods whenever possible, so that a situation such as this one doesn't cause
panic in one's household.

Something goes wrong and the food supply stops, where a larger outfit
will have a disaster plan in place to deal with situations like this and
not allow the supply lines to run dry.

A company can get into trouble very quickly when something like this
happens and they don't have a plan for dealing with it quickly.

i.e: cash flow issues, losing loyal customers when they find something
else, etc.

Oh, I think OMH is well aware of that.

M.

You'd think they would be in full damage control mode, yet I can find
nothing on their website that reassures their customers.
Old May 16th 05, 11:42 PM
cmtowle

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
cmtowle wrote:

It's a real balance. On one hand, some of the smaller companies may well

be
more meticulous than larger conglomerates as far as quality control
pertaining to all aspects of manufacturing a food is concerned. On the

other
hand they might not have a contingency plan when something such as a

major
equipment failure happens. This would be another reason to feed a

variety of
foods whenever possible, so that a situation such as this one doesn't

cause
panic in one's household.

....snipped...

A company can get into trouble very quickly when something like this
happens and they don't have a plan for dealing with it quickly.

i.e: cash flow issues, losing loyal customers when they find something
else, etc.

Oh, I think OMH is well aware of that.

M.

You'd think they would be in full damage control mode, yet I can find
nothing on their website that reassures their customers.

I think you are right. Given the potential loss, I would expect that too.

M.

Old May 17th 05, 12:16 AM
---MIKE---

Mike,
I bought a 12 lb bag of Wellness
Super5 Mix for my cats from
http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/
They seem to have a large variety of
Wellness products dry and canned for
cats and dogs. Perhaps they have what
you need,
Mary

Thanks Mary. I sent them an e-mail asking if they had the canned
chicken in stock. My store has plenty of the dry in stock. It's the
canned chicken that I need.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old May 17th 05, 01:49 AM
PawsForThought

---MIKE--- wrote:
Wellness is an excellent product and my cats like it BUT OMH has

stopped
shipping it. My store has not been able to get any for several

weeks.
Their supplier (P&P) have just started getting shipments and they are
already allocated to stores (not my store however) and say it could

be
30 days before my store gets any. Tomorrow I plan to get several

cans
of Whiskas, Friskies and Science Diet and see which ones my cats will
eat. If I am successful, I will continue to use what they like. I
don't mind paying the price for Wellness but the attitude of Old

Mother
Hubbard and P&P has caused me to find another product.

That's why I think it's always a good idea to feed several brands
(providing your cat will eat them) so when a problem like this arises,
you know your cats will eat other brands. Also, where one food may be
lacking in certain nutrients, by rotating, you have a better chance of
achieving a balanced diet. Just my 2 cents...

Old May 17th 05, 02:01 AM
Cheryl

On Mon 16 May 2005 01:17:24p, ---MIKE--- wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

I called Pet Food Direct and as I expected, they are out of
stock too. My cats can't wait until the pipeline is full again
so if they will eat it, they will get "crap". None of the other
quality foods are available in my area.

This happened once before when I tried switching my cats over to
Wellness. The pet food store I use for it couldn't get shipments in
for at least a month, but they still had small bags of the dry in
stock. Now that I have one cat who likes the Turkey canned flavor,
this is a bummer! I'm going to stop over at a couple of shops that
carry Wellness and see if I can get some. The shame is that the one
who likes the turkey is my former feral who wouldn't eat canned
food at all. She doesn't like other flavors of Wellness and I have
several cans of chicken, and the meat/seafood varieties.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old May 17th 05, 02:58 AM
Joe Canuck

PawsForThought wrote:

---MIKE--- wrote:

[...]

This makes no sense.

If all the foods meet and exceed the AAFCO standards how is any one of
them going to be missing nutrients essential for a balanced diet?

Old May 17th 05, 06:48 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-05-16, ---MIKE--- penned:
Wellness is an excellent product and my cats like it BUT OMH has
stopped shipping it. My store has not been able to get any for
several weeks. Their supplier (P&P) have just started getting
shipments and they are already allocated to stores (not my store
however) and say it could be 30 days before my store gets any.
Tomorrow I plan to get several cans of Whiskas, Friskies and Science
Diet and see which ones my cats will eat. If I am successful, I
will continue to use what they like. I don't mind paying the price
for Wellness but the attitude of Old Mother Hubbard and P&P has
caused me to find another product.

The Turkey and Turkey & Salmon wet flavors, the two canned foods my
cat will actually eat, are gone here, at least in 5.5oz cans. The
12.5oz cans are still available, but I'm not doing a great job of
splitting up portions from them.

According to my pet store owner, Wellness had a problem at one of
their factories. The factory is up and running again, but it's taking
time to get the food to the distributors and from there to the
individual stores. She has a prominent note taped to the shelf where
you typically find Wellness.

Regardless, I'd rather they stop production when there's a problem
than soldier on and produce possibly sub-par food. (But I don't know
specifically what the problem was.)

I don't know what part of all of this you consider to be "attitude" on
OMH's part.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 17th 05, 12:31 PM
Joe Canuck

On 2005-05-16, ---MIKE--- penned:

[...]

The fact that they have said nothing to the public about the issue, but
have left the information (or misinformation) trickle out to the public
through the retail distribution sector.

It seems to me the OMB had hoped they would clear up the problem before
the supply issue came to a head as it has, thus no one would know the
difference. It would have been far better to have been open and honest
about what happened and what the timeline was for the fix.

Instead, OMH chose to remain silent... there isn't even a press release
on their website about any of this... nothing at all.

All of this causes this poster to wonder what else OMH is remaining
silent about concerning their food. I'm sure the defenders of OMH will
take me to task about this. It isn't me you should be questioning, but
rather the staff at OMH.

Old May 17th 05, 01:16 PM
Phil P.

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message

The fact that they have said nothing to the public about the issue, but
have left the information (or misinformation) trickle out to the public
through the retail distribution sector.

It seems to me the OMB had hoped they would clear up the problem before
the supply issue came to a head as it has, thus no one would know the
difference. It would have been far better to have been open and honest
about what happened and what the timeline was for the fix.

Instead, OMH chose to remain silent... there isn't even a press release
on their website about any of this... nothing at all.

All of this causes this poster to wonder what else OMH is remaining
silent about concerning their food.

Since they don't make their food themselves anymore, and they're very hush
hush about who is making it, who knows. I no longer trust the company.

I'm sure the defenders of OMH will
take me to task about this. It isn't me you should be questioning, but
rather the staff at OMH.

The fact that Wellness is now manufactured by an unknown third party or
parties doesn't seem to bother anyone- it sure bothers me! That's it for
Wellness.

Phil