Latest news on "the eye"

Old September 30th 04, 05:21 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , Steve
Touchstone wrote:

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:19:23 -0600, Karen wrote:

I know that they are pretty certain my friend's little girl got diabetes
from a virus. It seems that is fairly well established that is a cause.
What
disturbs me lately is the gigantic increase in Type II in children in
the
U.S. We must change our eating habits and physical level! My nephew who
is
13 has a cholesterol level of over 200. It's so awful. So preventable.

Along the same theme, as I was reading your post the late news was
talking about obesity in children. They didn't mention diabetes, but
it's part and parcel with the obesity problem. It certainly doesn't
help that the American education system seems to cut physical
education classes every time they run in to a financial crunch.
Another frequent target of cuts in the schools is the arts - which
IMHO should be another area that should not be cut. But, don't ask
what should be cut, I don't have any answers, and it doesn't appear
the powers that be in the education system do either.

*sigh* one of my buttons. I went to several schools, but only one
(Towson, MD High) had what I would call physical "education". The others
all seemed to be "gym", where the non-varsity would get handed a ball
appropriate to the season and ignored while "Coach" hung out with the
Real Men.

Towson had a philosophy of exposing students to lots of different
sports, with the idea that sooner or late, everyone would find one that
they could do well. They also constantly worked with every student,
focusing on improvement in whatever they were doing. IIRC after all
these years, the varsity were assumed to get their phys ed during
after-school practice, didn't take regular phys ed, and thus allowed the
instructors to focus on people that could use education.

Old September 30th 04, 06:56 AM
Marina

Karen wrote:

I know that they are pretty certain my friend's little girl got diabetes
from a virus. It seems that is fairly well established that is a cause. What
disturbs me lately is the gigantic increase in Type II in children in the
U.S. We must change our eating habits and physical level! My nephew who is
13 has a cholesterol level of over 200. It's so awful. So preventable.

That's happening over here, too. Add to that that Finland has the
highest frequency of type I in the world and we have a disaster on our
hands. Apparently, you need the predisposing gene + the virus infection
to get diabetes. They've traced the gene that predisposes Finns to type
I diabetes to an area where my Dad was born, so that is probably why I
and one of my sisters have it. We both had a severe influenza before our
diabetes broke out.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki