Question regarding cat dental issues

Old January 2nd 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Question regarding cat dental issues

When I got my beloved Annie (see photos as
http://www.geocities.com/eastmountai...s.html#rainbow ) she
was an orphan in Austin. My cat previous to her, Edward, had died
after being with me for 16 years. So I was looking for another friend,
and Annie showed up.

She was pregnant when I found her, and she had four kittens, for whom I
found good homes. (A "teenaged pregnancy" the vet called it.) I kept
her in after that, had her fixed, good care, good food, no outside
roaming any more. Problem is, she lived in a very large cat populated
area with I think a good bit of violence, and some time after I got
her, I was petting her, and her front big tooth fell out in my hands.
It was rotten!

So my question is: the rest of her teeth look fine and I've had them
cleaned once. Will the loss of that one fang be a problem for her as
she ages?

Thanks,
Connie

Old January 3rd 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Boxwood Studios" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

No, not at all. I've heard of cats getting by with no front teeth at all.
As long as you keep the rest of her teeth cleaned and health she should be
just fine.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 3rd 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Oh good, thank you; that's good to know. I love her SO MUCH.

Old January 3rd 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Boxwood Studios" wrote in message
oups.com...
Oh good, thank you; that's good to know. I love her SO MUCH.

Of course! She's a beautiful little girl!!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 3rd 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

All my Mario has left is a few, maybe two of the small teeth in the back of
his mouth. He gets along fine. He eats both canned and a little dry.

--
Larry - Owned by ten cats

Old January 3rd 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Of course! She's a beautiful little girl!!

She really is; she's so sweet. I'm a music teacher and she "helps" me
with my little students. She also takes care of me, makes sure I get
to bed at a reasonable hour, and comforts me when I'm in pain (I have
MS). It's like SHE'S taking care of ME. God bless her little heart.

How can people be mean to animals? I refuse even to eat animals. I'd
rather starve. I don't, however, force my views on her. She gets
Fancy feast, dry.

Connie

( I sent this before, but it timed out or something...forgive me if it
comes up twice)

Old January 3rd 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article . com,
says...
[...]

My eldest Randy has had two fangs and two molars removed. Seems dumbass
doesn't know you should chew the food.

The vet tells me that the kibble is small enough to be swallowed whole
which is precisely what bright boy has been doing for sixteen years of
his life.

So yes, indoor cats could survive if they were toothless.
Old January 3rd 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

[...]

Not at all. Cats use their fangs (canines) for capturing and killing prey.
The tiny incisors between the canines are used to hold struggling prey.
Cats don't chew food as in mastication- they cut meat and crunch dry food
with their carnassials- which work like shears.

Phil

Old January 3rd 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I have a cat that had all of her teeth removed due to stomatitis(sp).
She gets along fine - and is actually overweight....eats dry food and
moist food sparingly. The only thing about cats with fewer teeth etc-
is they must be inside at all times. Other factors to consider:
Cats without teeth need assistance with grooming. In my case, one of
my other cats helps the cat without teeth by grooming her! And cats
without teeth have less to defende themselves with so must be safely
housed (ie without any other aggressive cats) Good luck for your baby
- cats are angels aren't they!

Old January 3rd 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Boxwood Studios" wrote in message
oups.com...
Of course! She's a beautiful little girl!!

She really is; she's so sweet. I'm a music teacher and she "helps" me
with my little students. She also takes care of me, makes sure I get
to bed at a reasonable hour, and comforts me when I'm in pain (I have
MS). It's like SHE'S taking care of ME. God bless her little heart.

How can people be mean to animals? I refuse even to eat animals. I'd
rather starve. I don't, however, force my views on her. She gets
Fancy feast, dry.

Connie

( I sent this before, but it timed out or something...forgive me if it
comes up twice)

Nope, I just saw it once.

I know exactly what you mean. Mine seem to know when I'm feeling really
bad (I have fibromyalgia and degenerative disk disease), and they come and
lay next to me and start purring. Even if it can't make me feel better
physically, it makes me feel better emotionally. I wouldn't know what to do
without them

--

Hugs,

CatNipped