Why I think Scottie died

Old March 11th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Why I think Scottie died

Candace wrote:
But I don't know how
to find a lawyer to take a case like that. From what I've read on the
internet, punitive damages are seldom awarded in veterinary malpractice
cases so it would just be for my costs and that isn't enough to entice
any lawyer I know of. I wouldn't even know what sort of lawyer to
approach, I guess just a general one, because no one has a veterinary
malpractice specialty.

Candace, I'm so sorry you're going through this. If it does come to a
point where you want to hire an attorney, you can check with your State
Bar Association for a referral of attorneys whose practice might
emphasize animal law. Your local county should also have a bar
association with a referral service. About a month ago, I was emailing
with an attorney who did specialize in animal law, and if you like, I
can check with her. I'm glad to hear you sent a letter to this vet. I
know that must have been very hard to have to deal with. Hopefully,
this vet will be open-minded enough to communicate back with you, and
to learn the effects of this drug so it doesn't happen to another
patient.

Hugs,
Lauren

Old March 11th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Candace wrote:
-L. wrote:

snip
Thank you for all your responses and support (except for 2 and one of
those is a neo-Nazi inbred cretin that no one acknowledges anyway).

Thanks for the acknowledgment, Kandace! If there was any justice in
this world, it would be you in the ****ing ash urn and Scottie would be
the one still here and drawing breath. But some of us just can't seem
to see beyond ourselves, now can we....?
I might remind you of everything that you hate in a person (your
father, perhaps?), but I can tell you this.... My little Chester will
never fall because of my stupidity and the negligence that it obviously
breeds. God help any other small helpless lives that you might be
custodian over...

IBen Getiner

Old March 12th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Phil P." writes:

"Margarita Salt" wrote in message

The fact
remains that if you hadn't questioned your vet who knows more than
you do, this may not have happened.

Jeez. You know I've defended you more than once from people who think
your (former?) profession meant you were "trash", but I can't comprehend
why you would say something like this to Candace. Why in the hell would
you try and blame her for this? She's not the vet. She has every right
to question why and how a medicine or treatment is being used. To blame
someone for wanting to know more about a treatment is beyond
comprehension. You sound like you were just being mean.

We have not only the right- but the responsibility to question *any*
treatment with which we're not comfortable. If you actually believe vets
never make mistakes or never use poor judgement then you're even more
ignorant than you appear.

Unfortunately, doctors of all kinds make mistakes. I just quit my vet
of 10 years after finally realizing she wasn't making little mistakes,
she was making big ones, misdiagnosing and making mistakes in medical
procedures, and it was hurting my cat Reggie.
You *have* to question a doctor, and the sooner, the better. If I'd
questioned my vet earlier my Reggie wouldn't have had suffered as long
as he did. Candace was right to question her vet, for Scottie's sake.
The problem is the vet made a mistake, a horrible one.

Stacia

Old March 12th 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Candace wrote:
I delivered the letter in person today. I was going to wait until I
went to get his ashes but they're not back yet and it was eating at me
that I knew all this and the vet didn't have a clue: as far as he was
concerned, I was thrilled with the vet care Scottie received. So I
left the letter (after I got 2 months worth of Abbey's meds and
returned an unused bag of fluids). I'm certain he will get it; it's a
big envelope marked "confidential." The girl said he would be in at 5
tonight (he was out for the day at a seminar). I didn't want to ever
have to go back to get the ashes or anything but I guess I will have to
now. I just couldn't wait any longer. It's been almost 2 weeks and it
was bothering me that the vet didn't know how I felt.

So, we'll see. If I don't hear from him in a few days, I will send
everything I gave him today certified along with another letter saying
I am going to file a complaint with the state vet board if I don't hear
from him within 5 business days. Then I will do that. They have a
complaint form on their website and they review complaints once a
month. I figure that once it goes that far, the vet won't willingly
give me any reimbursement and my only course of action after that will
be small claims court or a lawyer, as Phil said. But I don't know how
to find a lawyer to take a case like that. From what I've read on the
internet, punitive damages are seldom awarded in veterinary malpractice
cases so it would just be for my costs and that isn't enough to entice
any lawyer I know of. I wouldn't even know what sort of lawyer to
approach, I guess just a general one, because no one has a veterinary
malpractice specialty.

Med malpractice will do. Many lawyers will take contingent cases for
$3000 or more. Just call around, if it comes to that. Contingency
fees are generally 25-33% if you settle without filing a case.

-L.

Old March 12th 06, 09:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Phil P. wrote:

Do you realize now that your well-intended compassion was wasted on a
gutter trash?

yep. Silly me!

When Kami is finally released from her life of abuse, the bimbo will
probably plaster Kami's death all over the internet to get attention and
sympathy. She better not come here looking for sympathy.

I know she already got all she will ever get from me.

-L.

Old March 12th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Candace" wrote in message
oups.com...
-L. wrote:

I agree with everything, except I would still send it certified mail.
Otherwise some dumb-assed dingbat in the office may not give him the
letter. It's the only way to ensure he actually receives it.

When my dog died, I wrote a really nice personal letter to my vet,
thanking him for his kindness and compassion in her treatment, and
informing him that I had her euthanized at home by a vet that does home
visits (I included a pic of her taken shortly before her demise). This
was a vet I had extremely good rapport with, and considered a real
asset to the community, and told him as much in my letter. The next
time I visited with my other dog (9 mos later), he asked how Tosh was -
he had no idea I had euthanized her. I was ****ed! Stupid-assed
dingbats in the office never even gave him the letter I sent. They
probably freaking threw it in the trash.

-L.

[...]

I feel it all must be done for the principle of it but I don't feel it
can avenge Scottie in any way or make it right. Scottie will still be
dead and he will still have suffered and he still could have possibly
been treated and survived. I'll never be able to forget how he wanted
to eat, he was hungry, and then he would regurgitate it right back up.
It was awful. I only hope there really is a heaven and they are all
there and we can see them again and I hope he knows right now that I'm
sorry I ever took him there or ever let him be hospitalized for all
those days or that I didn't know there was a treatment until it was too
late.

My letter, by the way, is not particularly confrontational. I suppose
the fact that I am mentioning it to him at all is confrontational in
itself but the letter is very polite and matter-of-fact. I began it by
saying I had always felt he was a compassionate man and that I had
appreciated how his practice takes emergency calls and always fits
patients in and how sad I was to have to write a letter like this and
how I didn't feel I could trust any other animal's care to him. I
didn't mention money or reimbursement or filing complaints or anything
like that...just the facts on Scottie's symptoms, the doxycycline being
administered improperly, the vial I have at home without proper
instructions on it, the balloon dilation treatment that I was never
informed of, etc. along with several articles included. I said I would
welcome his response to all of this.

Thank you for all your responses and support (except for 2 and one of
those is a neo-Nazi inbred cretin that no one acknowledges anyway).
The website is a possibility down the road if nothing else works and I
imagine I will libel him all over the internet at some point if need
be.

Candace

Candace, let me know if you need help getting the web site up. I have tons
of disk space on my site and, since I do this for a living, I can get a site
put up in a matter of hours.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 12th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Phil P." wrote in message

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Margarita Salt wrote:

I sympathize with your situation and your loss, and trying to find a
reason for why it happened, but in our sue-happy society we simply
have to remember that **** happens.

This wasn't a case of "**** happens" and in fact demonstrates WHY we
should question our vets. The vet was CLEARLY negligent in this case -
he administered a drug imporperly and killed the cat. It's a open and
shut case.

You suing your vet for using
another med at your insistence is what raises vet prices for the
rest of us.

Too ****ing bad. This vet was negligent and needs to be called on the
carpet for it.

snip

Cry, and then move on.

Remember those words when you do lose Kami, you ****. How ****ing
insensitve can you be?

-L.

Do you realize now that your well-intended compassion was wasted on a
gutter trash?

When Kami is finally released from her life of abuse, the bimbo will
probably plaster Kami's death all over the internet to get attention and
sympathy. She better not come here looking for sympathy.

She's already started - read the post about urns. It's like she sitting
back and rubbing her palms together anxiously awaiting the death of her poor
abused cat so she can garner some more attention to herself.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 15th 06, 10:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

CatNipped wrote:
She's already started - read the post about urns. It's like she sitting
back and rubbing her palms together anxiously awaiting the death of her poor
abused cat so she can garner some more attention to herself.

Isn't that sick!?! I was appalled when I read that!
-L.

Old March 15th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

CatNipped wrote:
She's already started - read the post about urns. It's like she sitting
back and rubbing her palms together anxiously awaiting the death of her

poor
abused cat so she can garner some more attention to herself.

Isn't that sick!?! I was appalled when I read that!
-L.

Her need for attention is actually pathological- she'll do anything and use
anything to get it- even her cat. She's a true sociopath.