Too young to catch mice?

Old November 21st 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

Default Too young to catch mice?

you actually have a lot to learn about cats

wrote in message
Oh, good KEeerist~!!~

snipped

Old November 21st 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Nov 21, 4:07*pm, "Matthew"
wrote:

you actually have a lot to learn about cats

Absolutely. Every day, a bit more. But I am not blind to their needs
and nature as you appear to be - OK, perhaps 'blind' is an imprecise
word but it is either that or denial.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old November 21st 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

ROFLMAO
Sorry not blind or in denial but why would I want to debate or explain this
with a 3 time poster. Stick around you will learn something

Old November 21st 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
Oh, good KEeerist~!!~

Please note the interpolations.

On Nov 19, 1:46 pm, "Matthew"
wrote:

Ok than ignore my posts but when you post what you did What do you think
we
are going to think

1 call an exterminator rats and mice carry disease and you could kill
your cat

Rats and mice carry disease, true. But cats are feral creatures which
in order to be complete (as a cat) must hunt.

Domesticated cats are not "feral creatures." Idiot.

Old November 21st 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
On Nov 21, 4:07 pm, "Matthew"
wrote:

you actually have a lot to learn about cats

Absolutely. Every day, a bit more. But I am not blind to their needs
and nature as you appear to be - OK, perhaps 'blind' is an imprecise
word but it is either that or denial.

It is not that you have a lot to learn, it is that you are a moron. Cats
have no "need" to hunt when you're feeding them every day. Play takes care
of the stalking and pouncing and "killing" instincts. My tabby conquers a
rubber snake several times a day with great howling and presents it to me
proudly. She also catches an occasional mouse, but does not injest them or
even draw blood from what I can see. If there was evidence that she was
eating them I would be concerned.

Old November 21st 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"cybercat"

Hey I am trying to be a nice guy for the holidays :-)

Who got hold of your giblets gobble gobble

evil smileevil laugh
running for cover

Old November 22nd 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Nov 21, 6:33*pm, "cybercat" wrote:

Domesticated cats are not "feral creatures." Idiot.

Now, who has a lot to learn about cats?

Although well-fed cats do not 'need' to hunt, they make the best
ratters historically. They hunt for sport - much as the rubber-snake
hunter hunts for the best it can get. But it would be infinitely
happier if that snake were to surprise it one day - and give it a
genuine challenge. Writing of snakes and cats, many families in
Arabia, India and North Africa living in the countryside keep cats
against snakes rather than any other animal. Cats are much faster than
ferrets or mongooses to that end - and also appear to understand the
danger in snakes more clearly than either of the other two. One of my
staff (Indian) when I was working in Saudi had pictures of his cat
with her snake kills - she was 15 in the latest picture I saw. He
described her as a 2-kilo cat (about 4.5 pounds) - and its largest
kill was a 150cm cobra (about 5 feet).

But much as cats are obligatory carnivores, they also must hunt for
their health and sanity. We may have committed several hundred years
of genetic modifications to cats, but just as every dog thinks it is a
wolf, every cat thinks it is a tiger. To believe otherwise is to be in
acute denial of the evolutionary imperative that resulted in the cat
in the first place.

Now, humans come along and wish to adapt their cats to a sedentary
life-style, feed them primarily on grains and deny where they came
from and why they came from there. How nice for the humans, how
wretchedly awful for their cats. Please don't think I believe cats
should be fed on raw meat and forced to 'adapt or die', breed at will,
go unvetted. Not hardly. But they should be able to explore the
entirety of their natures - hopefully in reasonable safety - but at
least that much. They are feral - any reasonably healthy cat even on
short notice can adapt to a predatory life (asuming that game is
available) if the worst should happen. That is NOT a desirable state,
of course, but it is in their nature and one of their innate
abilities. Just as humans have canine teeth for tearing raw meat. Not
something we would like to do on a daily basis - but isn't it nice to
know that it is possible in a pinch? If we wish to manage the nature
of our cats (and ourselves) for the best possible life for them (and
ourselves) we had damned well better understand them (and ourselves).
Cats choose to live with humans - but of all our pets capable of
actual interaction with us, they have the least need to do so.

We observe lots of displacement behavior in our cats - it cannot
possibly be because they are innate hunters and miss the sport and the
rush - so we re-define it. Sad for the cat, conscience-appeasing for
us. But twaddle either way. Again, don't keep a dog unless it can run
every day until it is tired (we have two). Don't keep a cat unless it
can interact with its environment, hunt, explore and be curious.
Something new every day.

Do some research: the territorial range of a healthy, well-fed adult
male cat (being neutered does not appear to make a difference) vs. the
size of even a large house - or an apartment. And then a female
(again, neutering does not appear to make much of a difference).
Unless one knows and understands these things, a great deal is just
lost to the keeper and the cat.

http://www.boop.org/jan/justso/cat.htm

Another time, another age, but Kipling got it pretty much right.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old November 22nd 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

"cybercat"

Hey I am trying to be a nice guy for the holidays :-)

Who got hold of your giblets gobble gobble

evil smileevil laugh
running for cover

At least I'm consistent.

Old November 22nd 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote:

Another time, another age, but Kipling got it pretty much right.

No he didn't.

Old November 22nd 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message ...
On Nov 21, 6:33 pm, "cybercat" wrote:

Domesticated cats are not "feral creatures." Idiot.

Now, who has a lot to learn about cats?

http://www.boop.org/jan/justso/cat.htm

Jesus. Are you serious?? Rudyard Kipling? He wrote fanciful fiction, moron. And he lived 150 years ago, before cars, before the widespread urbanization of so many countries.

Please go away. And take the other aggressively stupid people with you.

Mice Bryce Cat health & behaviour 5 June 25th 08 07:38 PM
Cat wants me to eat mice ... Mark Edwards Cat anecdotes 8 August 29th 05 05:38 PM
bed mice Kevin Lee Cat health & behaviour 3 May 27th 05 02:31 AM
Young cat can't catch his breath after play? Al Puzzuoli Cat health & behaviour 10 March 8th 05 12:03 AM