Declawing: glad I took the time

Old November 4th 03, 07:41 PM
kaeli

In article , jim87
@hotmail.com enlightened us with...
So what you're saying is there is no reasonable length of time before
we say, "She can't be trained,"? Because 6 months of daily training
seems like an awful lot to me. We've had 4 cats before her and they
all learned just fine using our training methods. Is it possible for
cats to be retarded? She looks a little cross-eyed, but I digress.
As I said, I've never believed in declawing, but even my wife, a
longtime member of PETA, has said "enough is enough." I did note my
brother recently had both of his cats declawed and they are no worse
for the wear, haven't changed one bit. In any case, my wife just
can't quite sign on for the declawing, although she's tempted. This
means the little squirt is going up the river, ie: to PAWS or the
shelter. Yes, I'm not ashamed to admit, if it comes between a cat who
can't learn and refurnishing my house, I'll take my house. Not unless
the cat can go out and find a damned job...

You are rapidly approaching troll status here. Should I just killfile
you now and save myself the typing?

~kaeli~
Jesus saves, Allah protects, and Cthulhu
thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old November 4th 03, 08:03 PM

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 05:31:16 GMT, "Mary" wrote:

About your nice wood--I cannot imagine a car preferring to scratch
wood over some nice sisal/rope/carpet/cardboard post or mat that
rips and shreds in a satisfying way!

That's good to know.

My decision is no longer whether or not to declaw the cat.
It's whether or not to bring her in, or try (again) to find her a home
with someone who already has cats. I have another neighbor who has 2
indoor/outdoor cats, both clawed. I asked her if they destroyed any
of her furniture, and she just shrugged and said "Well, yeah, cats do
that."

My wife and I have already been through the years of borrowed/dumpster
furniture and crummy carpet. We worked our way up to a decent house
with decent things. No, we're not rich, but we have furniture that
was purchased new and kept nice. In fact, we're still paying on the
family room furniture. :-)

Once it's clawed, it's clawed. It's not like spilled milk.
So what I'm saying is, during the training period, there's a chance
the cat could ruin something. And it's not possible to watch her
24/7, since we both work and I go to school. That's the biggest
dilemma; walking into a room and seeing a shredded couch or something.

I guess it's one of those things where not having experienced the
process, it's easy to worry about it.

Remember, up until yesterday, I assumed that you just pay the $90 and
get the cat declawed, end of story.

Old November 4th 03, 08:15 PM
Mary

wrote in message
On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 18:44:48 GMT, "Mary" wrote:

For your poor cat, no doubt. Sounds to me like you have already

made
up your mind to mutilate your cat. Why waste our time?

That was pretty uncool.

We calls 'em like we sees em.

Old November 4th 03, 08:25 PM
Mary

wrote in message
On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 05:31:16 GMT, "Mary" wrote:

About your nice wood--I cannot imagine a car preferring to scratch
wood over some nice sisal/rope/carpet/cardboard post or mat that
rips and shreds in a satisfying way!

That's good to know.

My decision is no longer whether or not to declaw the cat.

Yay, Mitch!

It's whether or not to bring her in, or try (again) to find her a

home
with someone who already has cats. I have another neighbor who has

2
indoor/outdoor cats, both clawed. I asked her if they destroyed any
of her furniture, and she just shrugged and said "Well, yeah, cats

do
that."

But they don't have to. You sound like a compassionate, sweet guy. Pin
aluminum foil to your
couch (tape it to the wood stuff) in key places, spray citrus scented
cat repellent (I have used cheap air freshener too!) and get your cat
some nice catnip-laced, toy laden posts/pads/cat trees. When you catch
kitty in the act, go get her, pick her up lovinging, talk stupid to
her, take her to her scratch place and love her up. Give her a goody.
Later when you see her around the RIGHT scratching place, love her up
and goody her again! She is like a little child and wants your praise,
approval, and love. Trust me. Be persistant, be patient, and perhaps
have a play room where she cannot hurt anything for when you have to
be out.

My wife and I have already been through the years of

borrowed/dumpster
furniture and crummy carpet. We worked our way up to a decent house
with decent things. No, we're not rich, but we have furniture that
was purchased new and kept nice. In fact, we're still paying on the
family room furniture. :-)

We are there too. Custom made couch, nice rugs, mostly inherited and
therefore
treasured. I had sheers in my window that the cat once ruined--but
now, after
I trained her to stay away from them, I have had new sheers for two
years, no
holes or gathers. You can do it, Mitch!

Once it's clawed, it's clawed. It's not like spilled milk.
So what I'm saying is, during the training period, there's a chance
the cat could ruin something. And it's not possible to watch her
24/7, since we both work and I go to school. That's the biggest
dilemma; walking into a room and seeing a shredded couch or

something.

Gotta shut her up when you are not there. It is not cruel. But her in
a utility room, spare bedroom or
Even in a bathroom. My cats do not have the run of the house when we
are out. But when you are there, train her.

I guess it's one of those things where not having experienced the
process, it's easy to worry about it.

Dive in! You won't regret it!

Old November 4th 03, 09:05 PM

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 20:25:17 GMT, "Mary" wrote:

Gotta shut her up when you are not there. It is not cruel. But her in
a utility room, spare bedroom or

We have a 16' X 16' "four seasons room," we just call it the sun
porch. It is shut off from the rest of the house with french doors.
Is it possible to put her AND a litter box in a room this size, or is
that too close?

This was the room I would put a cat tree in as well.

I wish there was a room with linoleum to keep her in, but we have an
old dog who has lost control of his functions, so he stays on the
linoleum.