Peewee Update - again!

Old October 8th 03, 08:13 AM
-L.

Default Peewee Update - again!

This poor cat.

This week he was feeling poorly again - and was trying to poop but
couldn't - all day Sunday. I nursed him and fed him all kinds of
things to help lubricate him, and he passed yet *another* hard furball
yesterday. All I can think is that he has a massive dense furfall in
his tummy, and it is finally breaking up and coming out piece by
piece. I have had him 12 and a half years and he *never* threw up
hairballs. Now I know why. I just hope he can get the whole thing
out before it gets him...

He hates Petromalt, Linetone, etc. so I'm mixing Nutrical into tuna
for him. I'm also using herbal tabs with slippery elm and other
herbal goodies, and feeding Purina DM which is easy to digest. So
far, so good.

-L.
Old October 8th 03, 11:24 AM
Rebecca B

Poor Peewee!

I presume you've been to the vets with him. Are Petromalt, Linetone and
Nutrical all laxatives or stuff that breaks down hair?

I know my cat was constipated recently and we were given some called
'Catalax', which he loved to eat as it was beef flavour. After a day & half
of him having this he was no longer constipated.

Becky

m...

Old October 8th 03, 09:34 PM
-L.

"Rebecca B" wrote in message ...
Poor Peewee!

I presume you've been to the vets with him.

Yes, two different vets in fact.

Are Petromalt, Linetone and
Nutrical all laxatives or stuff that breaks down hair?

Petromalt and Linetone are laxitives for hairballs. Nutrical is a
high-calorie supplement that acts in the same manner, but has no
petrolatum in it, which some people think is bad for cats.

I know my cat was constipated recently and we were given some called
'Catalax', which he loved to eat as it was beef flavour. After a day & half
of him having this he was no longer constipated.

Becky

Thanks - I will look for that as well. As of now, things seem "ok" -
just taking it one day at a time.

-L.

Old October 9th 03, 04:18 AM
Phil P.

"-L." wrote in message
m...
This poor cat.

This week he was feeling poorly again - and was trying to poop but
couldn't - all day Sunday. I nursed him and fed him all kinds of
things to help lubricate him, and he passed yet *another* hard furball
yesterday. All I can think is that he has a massive dense furfall in
his tummy, and it is finally breaking up and coming out piece by
piece. I have had him 12 and a half years and he *never* threw up
hairballs. Now I know why. I just hope he can get the whole thing
out before it gets him...

He hates Petromalt, Linetone, etc. so I'm mixing Nutrical into tuna
for him. I'm also using herbal tabs with slippery elm and other
herbal goodies, and feeding Purina DM which is easy to digest. So
far, so good.

-L.

Speak to your vet about Lactulose - it draws water into the bowel softening
the stool and causes a laxative effect Just be sure to keep the dose close
to the Rx - too much can cause flatulence and cramps. After the initial
doses, you can taper the dose to effect.

You can also try a pure glycerin baby suppository - They come in pre-loaded
applicators similar to a medicine dropper- just with a larger bulb.

Or can try milk - Milk causes diarrhea in many cats - just the effect you
want in a constipated cat!

Just don't use Fleet-type enemas - They can cause serious and possibly fatal
electrolyte disturbances in cats.

Constipation must be resolved quickly in cats because it tends to be
self-perpetuating. Cats have the ability to voluntarily control defecation -
so painful or difficult defecation can lead to voluntary fecal retention.
The longer stools remain in the colon the drier and harder they become
making them more difficult and painful to eliminate -- perpetuating the
cycle.

Best of luck.

Phil

Old October 30th 03, 02:27 PM
k conover

You might have to learn how to do a cat enema--don't laugh, when I had
orphan kittens I had to do it once and the vet tech showed me how...and it
sounds like he may need it.
Kirsten