Ringworm

Old May 12th 11, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

Default Ringworm

How contagious is ringworm? I remember having it as a kid, but no one
else got it. We had a kitten but I was too young to remember if that's
where I got it.

I've had this rash that looks like ringworm and I keep meaning to get it
checked out. It flares up only in certain patches at a time. One on a
thigh, one on the shin of that leg, two on the other shin, and one on my
arm. In late winter I thought it was eczema from dry skin but it isn't
going away. None of my cats have gotten it! Itchy as all get out!

I will have to remember to go to our work clinic tomorrow. The arm one
is driving me nuts tonight. Over the weekend it was one of the leg
ones. Luckily it isn't spreading more other than another patch that
broke out a couple of weeks ago.

Old May 12th 11, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Cheryl" wrote in message
. com...
How contagious is ringworm? I remember having it as a kid, but no one
else got it. We had a kitten but I was too young to remember if that's
where I got it.

I've had this rash that looks like ringworm and I keep meaning to get it
checked out. It flares up only in certain patches at a time. One on a
thigh, one on the shin of that leg, two on the other shin, and one on my
arm. In late winter I thought it was eczema from dry skin but it isn't
going away. None of my cats have gotten it! Itchy as all get out!

I will have to remember to go to our work clinic tomorrow. The arm one is
driving me nuts tonight. Over the weekend it was one of the leg ones.
Luckily it isn't spreading more other than another patch that broke out a
couple of weeks ago.

Once, many years ago, my daughter got ringworm. It turned out she got it
from playing with a neighbor's cat. I don't remember the treatment, but as
I recall, it was fairly easy to cure.

Joy

Old May 12th 11, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 5/11/2011 9:28 PM, Joy wrote:

Once, many years ago, my daughter got ringworm. It turned out she got it
from playing with a neighbor's cat. I don't remember the treatment, but as
I recall, it was fairly easy to cure.

That's the weird thing. I haven't been in contact with any animals
other than my cats, and they don't have ringworm. I know it's easy to
cure, and I can go out and get an antifungal over the counter but I just
want to make sure that's what it is before I do anything more than use
skin lotions, Vaseline or even hydrocortizone cream like I've been using
with no effect. Antifungals can be contraindicated if not required. I
really need to follow up at the clinic. I was just curious about how
contagious it is to cats since I've had this for a couple of months
before deciding it isn't eczema from the winter, and none of the cats
have gotten it.

Old May 12th 11, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Ross Mc Master

On Wed, 11 May 2011 22:14:17 -0400, Cheryl
wrote:

On 5/11/2011 9:28 PM, Joy wrote:

Once, many years ago, my daughter got ringworm. It turned out she got it
from playing with a neighbor's cat. I don't remember the treatment, but as
I recall, it was fairly easy to cure.

That's the weird thing. I haven't been in contact with any animals
other than my cats, and they don't have ringworm. I know it's easy to
cure, and I can go out and get an antifungal over the counter but I just
want to make sure that's what it is before I do anything more than use
skin lotions, Vaseline or even hydrocortizone cream like I've been using
with no effect. Antifungals can be contraindicated if not required. I
really need to follow up at the clinic. I was just curious about how
contagious it is to cats since I've had this for a couple of months
before deciding it isn't eczema from the winter, and none of the cats
have gotten it.

You can get it from people, cats, dirt. Easily cured. See a doctor,
doesn't cost anything most places in the civilized world...
Don't pas it on to the cats!
The pills have a tiny effect on the liver but everything does.
The antifugal prescriptions work, I'm cured and still kickin'.
John
Old May 12th 11, 04:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Cheryl" wrote in message
. com...

How contagious is ringworm? I remember having it as a kid, but no one
else got it. We had a kitten but I was too young to remember if that's
where I got it.

I've had this rash that looks like ringworm and I keep meaning to get it
checked out. It flares up only in certain patches at a time. One on a
thigh, one on the shin of that leg, two on the other shin, and one on my
arm. In late winter I thought it was eczema from dry skin but it isn't
going away. None of my cats have gotten it! Itchy as all get out!

I will have to remember to go to our work clinic tomorrow. The arm one
is driving me nuts tonight. Over the weekend it was one of the leg
ones. Luckily it isn't spreading more other than another patch that
broke out a couple of weeks ago.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Yes, ringworm is contagious, but it is also treatable (but sometimes takes
quite awhile). From your description, I would also be a little suspicious
of psoriasis (which is *not* contagious). Your doctor will be able to make
a very quick diagnosis if it is either of these.

MaryL

Old May 12th 11, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 5/11/2011 11:17 PM, MaryL wrote:

Yes, ringworm is contagious, but it is also treatable (but sometimes
takes quite awhile). From your description, I would also be a little
suspicious of psoriasis (which is *not* contagious). Your doctor will
be able to make a very quick diagnosis if it is either of these.

Thanks Mary. I had to look up psoriasis and what I found was topical
steroid treatments and since I've been using hydrocortizone cream -
several actually; with Vit E and another with Alo - I don't think that's
what it is.
Old May 12th 11, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 11, 8:24*pm, Cheryl wrote:
How contagious is ringworm? *I remember having it as a kid, but no one
else got it. *We had a kitten but I was too young to remember if that's
where I got it.

I've had this rash that looks like ringworm and I keep meaning to get it
checked out. It flares up only in certain patches at a time. *One on a
thigh, one on the shin of that leg, two on the other shin, and one on my
arm. In late winter I thought it was eczema from dry skin but it isn't
going away. *None of my cats have gotten it! *Itchy as all get out!

I will have to remember to go to our work clinic tomorrow. *The arm one
is driving me nuts tonight. *Over the weekend it was one of the leg
ones. *Luckily it isn't spreading more other than another patch that
broke out a couple of weeks ago.

IME, it just depends on the individual. I handled a lot of cats with
ringworm
over the years at the shelter and I never got it. My friend there did,
several times.
Apparently I even carried the spores home on my clothing and infected
Frank,
but none of the other cats. I think some cats/people are just more
resistant
than others.
I understand too, that cats can be carrying the fungus and have no
outward
signs of it. BTW, ringworm glows like crazy under a blacklight.
Guess that's all the ringworm trivia I can think of -- good luck!!

Sherry
Old May 12th 11, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
"Cheryl" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

I remember kilikini (Christy, may she rest in peace) trying to rid her cat
Miss Pua of ringworms. She never got it herself. But I seem to recall
reading somewhere humans get it from walking around barefoot where there is
dog poop in the yard. That may be an old wives tale I heard, I don't know
for sure. Wear shoes!

Jill

Old May 12th 11, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 5/12/2011 10:13 AM, jmcquown wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
"Cheryl" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

When Ernie, Mimi, Moe (and Minnie - adopted out) were wee younguns, they
got ringworm. It started with Mimi... then spread to the rest.... and
me! I used the anti-fungal for athletes foot on myself, and a solution
of Lyme/sulfur on the itty-bits as they were too small for the pill.
None of the other cats, nor my DH, got it.

I have a friend who has a Great Pyrenees dog (great shaggy beasties, and
mostly white so they could 'hide' among the sheep they were bred to
protect) who periodically gets it, but my friend never does, nor does
their other dog (German Shepherd mix). And of course, it's hard to tell
when the dog gets it, since she's so hairy, until they notice that she's
itching more than usual. And even hard this time of year since she's
"molting" her winter coat!

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old May 12th 11, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Sherry" wrote in message

BTW, ringworm glows like crazy under a blacklight.
Guess that's all the ringworm trivia I can think of -- good luck!!

Sherry

Yes, I think veterinarians use a Woods lamp to identify ringworm.

MaryL

RingWorm [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 4 April 27th 08 08:43 PM
Help Ringworm wendymg Cat health & behaviour 9 October 21st 06 07:27 PM
not sure if this is ringworm dagon Cat health & behaviour 4 May 21st 06 07:02 AM
ringworm Marie Lawrence Cat anecdotes 3 September 12th 05 04:22 PM
ringworm, help please TNTsmile Cat health & behaviour 6 October 7th 03 09:09 AM