Would you tell a lie to save a cat?

Old March 29th 15, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Would you tell a lie to save a cat?

"Joy" wrote in message
On 3/25/2015 12:49 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

I would not want to rent. It means you cannot do what you want.

In the U.S., if you have the misfortune of OWNING where there is a
Homeowners Association, you can't either! Many of them began because a
development had common areas - like swimming pools - that required
maintenance. Unfortunately some HOA members have a power complex - they
want to impose their notions on everyone else. (They seem to be very
prevalent in Arizona, where even if you own a good sized piece of
property, you cannot do what you want - meaning planting trees and
landscaping according to your own tastes.)

There was a court case here in California last year (or maybe the year
before) because a HOA told one of the homeowners he couldn't fly his
American flag because his flagpole was too high to met HOA regulations. He
won the case, but most people just give in, or move.

You give up too easily.

Old March 29th 15, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

That's an unfair and untrue blanket statement. I would never live in an
area with an HOA. People who do are likely to be the kind who give up
too easily. They are by far in the minority. In case you didn't know
it, Americans are always suing over infringements to their rights.

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old March 30th 15, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 16:40:43 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

On 3/25/2015 3:49 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

I would not want to rent. It means you cannot do what you want.

In the U.S., if you have the misfortune of OWNING where there is a
Homeowners Association, you can't either! Many of them began because a
development had common areas - like swimming pools - that required
maintenance. Unfortunately some HOA members have a power complex - they
want to impose their notions on everyone else. (They seem to be very
prevalent in Arizona, where even if you own a good sized piece of
property, you cannot do what you want - meaning planting trees and
landscaping according to your own tastes.)

You're right, Evelyn. My mother left me this house, which I own
outright. But because of the HOA (Home Owner's Association) there are
lots of things I can't do without permission. If I want to paint the
outside of my house I have to get approval from the board. Only certain
shades are allowed. Good thing I don't want to paint my house bright
purple because they'd turn me down flat.

Some things we have the option of voting for or against. Next year
we're getting a new swimming pool, which I voted against. The ayes won,
however. That damn pool is going to cost $1,555,000. (That's
£1,045,849). So, everyone who owns a home here will be assessed an
extra $1530 to pay for the new pool. Guess I'll have to find some
really strong sunblock and learn how to swim so I can recoup my money.

I really loved my last apartment and so did Persia! This was it:

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...io-Homes/1559/

The great thing about renting was I didn't have to pay for routine
maintenance. Such as lawn care. Or broken appliances, which they
supplied. Said appliances included the refrigerator, stove, dishwasher,
washer & dryer, water heater, HVAC (heating/ventilation/air
conditioning). If any of those things broke they'd repair or replace
them. (I lived there 11 years so I know they were very good about that
sort of thing.) They also supplied and replaced the smoke alarm
batteries and HVAC filters several times a year. The cost was built
into the monthly rent. As a home owner, I have to take care of all
those things myself. That's on top of paying monthly HOA fees.

Jill

I just bought a place in a HOA. I read the regulations very carefully
and it is a big bunch of paper. There was really nothing that wasn't
common sense. They do limit the way that you can paint the houses, in
fact, they maintain the outsides of the houses. You can request a
different color but it depends on the mix of colors on your block.No
shocking pink though.

The only rule that I really disagree on is the one about only allowing
two pets, and I even see the logic in that.I'll have three (or maybe
four) so I'll be violating that one.

The upside is that I get to live in a community where we have our own
clubhouse and theater, and shows come in and people put on their own
shows. We have several swimming pools and 12 great har-tru tennis
courts, plus Bocci, a bike club, numerous art, literary, and exercise
clubs. I think that it's worth the tradeoff.

I have a fair amount of land and could put up a patio or something but
you do need approval and of course it has to be hurricane resistant.
But if you enclose part or all of the yard, you become responsible for
maintaining it. I'll put in a few tomato plants and maybe a small
garden of vegetables, but I'm not going to do enough to block the
mowers from coming through. I don't want to have to mow.

We're also not allowed to let pets roam free, and I'll have to see how
that evolves. I've seen several cats around the place so someone is
letting them roam.
Old March 30th 15, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 19:07:31 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Sylvia M" wrote in message

As a former smoker, who quit Many years ago, when I catch a whiff of
smoke, like in a patio of a restaurant,(where smoking may be allowed) I
tend to inhale ;-)

Sylvia

Me too. I've given up tobacco since November 2014.

Congrats. I've had friends who gave up heroin but couldn't stop
smoking cigarettes.
Old March 30th 15, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

We give up lots of rights all the time. I gave up trying to drive on
the left side of the road here in the US. Like I said in another post,
there was really nothing in my HOA rules that didn't make sense.
Old March 30th 15, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

"Sylvia M" wrote in message

As a former smoker, who quit Many years ago, when I catch a whiff of
smoke, like in a patio of a restaurant,(where smoking may be allowed) I
tend to inhale ;-)

Sylvia

Me too. I've given up tobacco since November 2014.

Congrats. I've had friends who gave up heroin but couldn't stop
smoking cigarettes.

I'm always happy to hear of somebody who has managed to quit smoking.

Old March 30th 15, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

The difference is you had a chance to read those rule and regs. I
didn't buy this house, I inherited it. My parents hadn't been members
of the "Club" for years, but I was forced to join. All my parents had
to do was pay an annual assessment for basic maintenance of roads, etc.
I pay the annual assessment and monthly Club dues, plus I have to meet
an annual dining assessment. I tried to fight that but they'd changed
the covenants not long after my parents were allowed to opt out. So, no
choice other than to move (again). The price of homes here have not
rebounded in the least. My neighbor's house has been on the market for
nearly three years now. The one on the other side of me was on the
market for five or 6 years. It sold for a lot less than it should have.
Moving really isn't an option for me.

The only rule that I really disagree on is the one about only allowing
two pets, and I even see the logic in that.I'll have three (or maybe
four) so I'll be violating that one.

I don't know that they have a limit to the number of pets where I live.
Definitely rules about not letting them run loose.

The upside is that I get to live in a community where we have our own
clubhouse and theater, and shows come in and people put on their own
shows. We have several swimming pools and 12 great har-tru tennis
courts, plus Bocci, a bike club, numerous art, literary, and exercise
clubs. I think that it's worth the tradeoff.

I don't swim or play tennis. I'm not really a "joiner". They hold
numerous musical events and other things but we have to pay extra for
most of those.

I have a fair amount of land and could put up a patio or something but
you do need approval and of course it has to be hurricane resistant.
But if you enclose part or all of the yard, you become responsible for
maintaining it. I'll put in a few tomato plants and maybe a small
garden of vegetables, but I'm not going to do enough to block the
mowers from coming through. I don't want to have to mow.

See, where I live it isn't a true HOA. I have to pay someone to do the
yard work. I did buy a lawnmower several years ago. I had good
intentions. Turns out my lawn is riddled with mole tunnels. It was a
self-propelled mower but I couldn't use it. It just sunk into the sandy
soil and wouldn't budge. So I sold the mower last year.

We're also not allowed to let pets roam free, and I'll have to see how
that evolves. I've seen several cats around the place so someone is
letting them roam.

There is an email listserv for island residents. Management is
constantly sending out "reminders" telling people not to let their pets
run loose. I don't really know what they can do about it, though.

Jill
Old March 30th 15, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

"Sylvia M" wrote in message

As a former smoker, who quit Many years ago, when I catch a whiff of
smoke, like in a patio of a restaurant,(where smoking may be allowed) I
tend to inhale ;-)

Sylvia

Me too. I've given up tobacco since November 2014.

Congrats. I've had friends who gave up heroin but couldn't stop
smoking cigarettes.

My middle brother became addicted to heroin when he was a young teen.
In order to help him get through the withdrawal process (this was 45
years ago and we were living in SE Asia so popping him into a rehab
clinic wasn't an option) my parents *gave* him cigarettes. He finally
did quit cigs a few years back.

Jill
Old March 31st 15, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

(gentle snippage)

It certainly is an untrue blanket statement. I suppose she cannot
fathom how different the US is to the UK. The government isn't going to
intervene.

I consulted with an attorney, figuring there should be a grandfather
clause. My parents hadn't had to pay more than the minimum annual HOA
fee for years. They had opted out of "Club" membership in 2001. (They
had to pay to do that, too, BTW.) He showed me a wall full of huge
binders/notebooks about where I live. Case after case. All the
covenants. In the end, he told me I'd be wasting my money trying to
fight them. He said not only would I wind up having to pay him, I'd
have to pay the opposing TEAM of lawyers and they'd drag it out for
*years* just to rack up the costs.

Jill

OT Save PBS and NPR Melissa Houle Cat anecdotes 5 September 14th 05 02:25 AM
OT Save PBS and NPR Cwazee Catt Cat health & behaviour 1 September 14th 05 02:25 AM
Save A Cat Lovie Dovey Cat anecdotes 3 August 3rd 05 05:05 PM
Help Save A Cat Lovie Dovey Cat community 0 August 3rd 05 02:03 AM
Save me Gracecat Cat anecdotes 8 June 26th 05 07:35 AM