Declawing and Apartments

Old October 15th 03, 06:57 AM
Mary

Default Declawing and Apartments

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
I know we split on this issue about declawing, but I was curious as

your thoughts about renting to cats. I am happy to report that Kami
and I will be moving into a very nice apartment community. My

deposit
was $100, hers $300 even though she is declaw. The thing is, the
community requires cats to be declawed and they check! They asked

us
to stop by the office at our earliest convenience so they can "meet"
her. (Why they can't just drop by the apartment I have no idea.)

I rather think that you and your new landlords deserve one another. I
do feel sorry for Kami, on the other hand.

Old October 15th 03, 07:44 AM
Mary

Mary wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
I know we split on this issue about declawing, but I was curious

as
your thoughts about renting to cats. I am happy to report that

Kami
and I will be moving into a very nice apartment community. My

deposit
was $100, hers $300 even though she is declaw. The thing is, the
community requires cats to be declawed and they check! They

asked
us
to stop by the office at our earliest convenience so they can

"meet"
her. (Why they can't just drop by the apartment I have no idea.)

I rather think that you and your new landlords deserve one

another. I
do feel sorry for Kami, on the other hand.

I noticed you have nothing meaningful or intelligent to contribute.

You are entitled to your opinion. Does Kami miss her claws?

Old October 15th 03, 01:45 PM
Sherry

I know we split on this issue about declawing, but I was curious as to
your thoughts about renting to cats. I am happy to report that Kami
and I will be moving into a very nice apartment community. My deposit
was $100, hers $300 even though she is declaw. The thing is, the
community requires cats to be declawed and they check! They asked us
to stop by the office at our earliest convenience so they can "meet"
her. (Why they can't just drop by the apartment I have no idea.)

This got me thinking about the West Hollywood issue. Many places in
West Hollywood are upscale and high rent. I know for a fact that some
require cats to be declawed. How does that work in the face of the
fact that declawing in West Hollywood is illegal? Wouldn't you think
that as a city that supposedly abhors declawing to the extent of
legislature it would make the requirement for it within its city limits
illegal as well?

--
BrandyÂ*Â*Alexandre®

Well, well. I rent a single-family house, and don't even ask for a separate pet
deposit. I just ask the tenants to steam-clean the carpet when they move. You
attacked me on three newsgroups, told the entire newsgroup community where I
live, called that method a "nonrefundable deposit" and called me a slum
landlord. I call it a workable, affordable solution so that cats (and dogs)
can stay in the house with the family, where they belong.
But when a landlord requires a major surgery in order for a cat to stay inside,
you're all for it with bells on.
Newsgroup been too quiet for you? You're trying to stir up ****, nothing more.
If you were truly interested in the legal aspect of the question, you'd post on
misc.legal.moderated, where you are a regular, not on a cat group you *know* is
passionately anti-declaw.
Sherry

Old October 15th 03, 02:17 PM
kaeli

In article ,
Â* enlightened us with...
I know we split on this issue about declawing, but I was curious as to
your thoughts about renting to cats. I am happy to report that Kami
and I will be moving into a very nice apartment community. My deposit
was $100, hers $300 even though she is declaw. The thing is, the
community requires cats to be declawed and they check! They asked us
to stop by the office at our earliest convenience so they can "meet"
her. (Why they can't just drop by the apartment I have no idea.)

That, sadly, is the case at many apartments around here. Declaw
required.
If people with cats stopped renting from those places, maybe they'd get
the idea that they shouldn't do that. Those people never listen to
reason. The fact is, a trained, clawed cat does a lot less damage than
say, a declawed cat who has litterbox issues. The owner should have to
pay for any damage their pet does. If the owner does pay for damage,
what should the landlord care if the cat is clawed? But, they don't
listen. So, vote with your feet and money - don't rent at these places.

This got me thinking about the West Hollywood issue. Many places in
West Hollywood are upscale and high rent. I know for a fact that some
require cats to be declawed. How does that work in the face of the
fact that declawing in West Hollywood is illegal? Wouldn't you think
that as a city that supposedly abhors declawing to the extent of
legislature it would make the requirement for it within its city limits
illegal as well?

That is way too logical for Hollywood.

~kaeli~
Jesus saves, Allah protects, and Cthulhu
thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
Old October 15th 03, 02:17 PM
kaeli

In article ,
Â* enlightened us with...

Old October 15th 03, 02:28 PM
Karen

in article , BrandyÂ*Alexandre at
? wrote on 10/15/03 12:32 AM:

[...]

My apartment complex had the same rule. Others I just said "No way" to. I
always offered more deposit and told them about cat furniture and clipping.
This one, the manager said she accepted a double pet deposit. 100 on each
cat and 100 for claws. So I paid a 600 dollar pet deposit with half of it
refundable (the part for being clawed cats). You *have* to ask, because some
will make allowances like this. I now live in one of the nicest apartments
in the city.

Karen