Lethal dose of morphine for a cat

Old September 16th 04, 09:41 PM
Annie Wxill

"A.J. Rivett" wrote in message
om...
.... I think morphine may be more expensive but it's a nicer way to go.

Normally, I just killfile these types of posts, but I'm curious how you know
1. that morphine may be more expensive, and
2. that it's a nicer way to go.

Old September 16th 04, 10:45 PM
PawsForThought

From: (jamie)

Kathryn Stein wrote:
(A.J. Rivett) wrote:

When the time comes and I have to euthanize my cat, I would like to do
it in the kindest way. I think this would be a nice meal of tuna
juice and tuna with some morphine in the tuna juice.

I have been told that 5 mg of morphine should be enough and that my
cat would just fall asleep after eating her last meal. She wouldn't
be traumatized at all and her last thoughts would be how nice the tuna
tasted and now just a long nap until her next life.

My question is whether 5 mg of morphine is about right. I don't want
to traumatize the cat by having someone give her a needle or by having
to take her to the vet (she hates the vet). I know that they don't
give morphine, they give potassium chloride or something like that and
I think morphine may be more expensive but it's a nicer way to go.

The most humane euthanization, imho, would be to have the vet make a
house visit. I've had that done and it was very peaceful.

Agreed. In the drugged-tuna scenario, there's no way to be sure the
cat wouldn't vomit the drug, or if he would eat enough of it mixed
in food in the first place. Opiates cause vomiting in a percentage
of humans, I would expect the same in cats. A semi-conscious cat
aspirating vomit could turn this idealized scenario into a nightmare.

Also, how many cats that are so ill that euthansia would be considered would
even be able to eat?

I've had the vet come to my house too and I think that's the least stressful.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm
Old September 16th 04, 10:45 PM
PawsForThought

Old September 16th 04, 11:00 PM
Paulette

If you give a cat morphine (if you could even OBTAIN morphine) it will
go wild...climb the walls. etc. Morphine also stimulates horses.

I, also, suspect a troll.

Old September 16th 04, 11:00 PM
Paulette

Old September 17th 04, 01:39 PM
A.J. Rivett

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message ...
"A.J. Rivett" wrote in message
om...
... I think morphine may be more expensive but it's a nicer way to go.

Normally, I just killfile these types of posts, but I'm curious how you know
1. that morphine may be more expensive, and
2. that it's a nicer way to go.

1. Stupid question. What do you think humans get when they are given
a little too much pain killer and why do you suppose morphine is a
controlled substance?

2. Why do you think there are so many heroin addicts out there?

For a curious person, you are pretty clueless.

Old September 17th 04, 01:48 PM
A.J. Rivett

olitter (PawsForThought) wrote in message ...
From:
(jamie)

Kathryn Stein wrote:
(A.J. Rivett) wrote:

[...]

Thank you for your response. I was aware of the vomiting scenario as
this is a problem in humans. I will probably opt for the vet visit
although when the initial sedative was given to one of my previous
cats, it was not appreciated by the cat. She couldn't figure out why
she was losing her coordination and she became agitated. That is why
I'm looking to something that will allow her to sleep without knowing
that she is being snuffed.

My belief is that cats know when somebody is trying to off them and a
needle in the butt is a sure sign that something's up.