Kidney stones question?

Old February 8th 04, 02:02 AM
Chris

Default Kidney stones question?

My Mainecoon cat has been diagnosed with kidney stones. I was hoping
to get some feedback from other cat owners who have expierienced this.
What treatment did you seek? Was surgery involved? A change in diet?
My vet says he is a time bomb waiting to explode. He said there is
really nothing he can do. Also maybe some links to websites to do some
research.
Thanks in advance
Chris
Old February 8th 04, 09:33 AM
polonca12000

I do hope your vet is wrong and that something can be done for your kitty.
Best wishes and purrs,
--
Polonca & Soncek

om...

Old February 8th 04, 08:31 PM
Caroline Swindell

My Fizzgig had bladder stones, which we got rid of by diet alone. I can't
remember now which kind of stones they were though. He is now on a special
maintenance diet (CD) that keep his urine more acidified, to keep down the
stones. Best wishes for an easy recovery for your kitty.

-Caroline S.

On 2/7/04 8:02 PM, in article
, "Chris"

Old February 8th 04, 11:02 PM
Yoj

Chris,

I would definitely get a second opinion. There are treatments for
kidney stones for humans, and virtually anything that can be treated in
a human can be treated in a cat. My Tawny had problems with bladder
stones, and they were always treatable. The vet also told us that
having a male cat neutered often stops this type of recurring. We had
Tawny altered, and he never had another bladder stone.

Don't give up on your cat! Find a vet who will treat him or her. Best
wishes to you and the cat.

--
Joy

om...

Old February 9th 04, 03:19 AM
Hopitus2

Trying to compose brief advice: there is a surgical remedy for male cats to
revise the urethral opening as to more closely replicate the female
urethra...(as my aunt used to say, "making him a girl")...it solves
life-threatening dilemma of stones blocking urine passage.
Consult another vet, ASAP. That dude's word is not the final verdict on the
subject, believe me. Don't accept it as such.

om...