Dog lover turned kitten mother, LOTS of questions..

Old July 7th 03, 06:00 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Laura R." wrote in message
.net...
circa Sun, 6 Jul 2003 23:15:11 -0400, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Cathy Friedmann ) said,
Two of my cats
have been front-declaws (one was my decision back in '86, & the other

came
that way when I adopted her in '93) - w/ no resultant problems that I

can
tell. Although, I assume as w/ any surgery, there must *sometimes* be
adverse after-effects.

Alex, my aforementioned biter, came to me declawed. Guess how he
compensates for his lack of claws?

Laura

Otoh, my biter cat is Mr. Fully-Clawed (aka Herrie).

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old July 7th 03, 07:12 PM
Arjun Ray

In nk.net, "Nicole"
wrote:

| I think I'm probably one of the only ones with the balls enough to say
| "yeah, I've weighed the alternatives and have decided to declaw".

Do you have the balls to say:

"Declawing is the amputation of the toe bones that cats walk on. The
bone has to come off because the claw grows out of it. The result is an
unnatural posture as the cat turns its wrists to distribute the pressure
of walking over the other bones in its paws. The procedure is reliably
painful enough that declaw post-ops are routinely used to study the
effectiveness of painkilling medications and pain treatment protocols.
I will ignore the evidence that declawing can make a biter or couch
wetter out of my cat. There is no medical or health benefit to the cat
whatsoever but still I will have this done, and I am very glad that I
live somewhere where neither the prevailing laws nor the professional
ethics of veterinarians stand in the way of my desire to mutilate an
innocent kitten."

Well, do you have the balls?
Old July 7th 03, 07:12 PM
Arjun Ray

Old July 8th 03, 12:27 AM
Nicole

I do have the balls to say that my husband has had cats before which were
declawed and they were in great health. As a matter of fact, Dolly lived to
be 17 years old.

Do you people really think that you are going to get your point across by
BASHING and being ignorant?? If you wanted to change my mind or convince me
to NOT declaw Hailey - you have definately NOT succeeded. Instead you've
made yourselves look like idiots and discredited all advice that you may
have given.

Old July 8th 03, 12:27 AM
Nicole

I do have the balls to say that my husband has had cats before which were
declawed and they were in great health. As a matter of fact, Dolly lived to
be 17 years old.

Do you people really think that you are going to get your point across by
BASHING and being ignorant?? If you wanted to change my mind or convince me
to NOT declaw Hailey - you have definately NOT succeeded. Instead you've
made yourselves look like idiots and discredited all advice that you may
have given.

Old July 8th 03, 01:38 AM
Arjun Ray

In , Laura R.
wrote:

| All I want to know is *why* she insists upon declawing her cat,

Nicole let the real reason slip. "She's going to scratch the babies".
IOW, she's *scared* of a cat with claws.

| and *why* she refuses to consider the other options.

Everything else is just rationalization.

Guest Cat & Kitten LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 10th 04 02:08 PM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM