Sick Maine Coon

Old March 9th 04, 02:35 PM
KrisG

Default Sick Maine Coon

Hi there

This email is a cry for help to all cat and animal lovers as Carter, our
Cat, is very sick and our vet has run out of ideas - we need help or advice
from somewhere!

Carter is a 7-year-old Maine Coon cat, we got him from a rescue home about 5
years ago. He is a lovely cat and a good companion for my partner Kelly and
I.

If anyone has any ideas on what we can do, what is causing his illness, or
may know someone that may be able to help - please get in touch with me on
or call me on 078999 22 506 (UK Mobile). Please keep
forwarding this email on, I only need to reach one person who may be able to
help.

Carter has always been a little chesty, sometimes wheezes and coughs but
nothing too serious. He also has a sensitive stomach, especially with rich
foods - it is not uncommon for him to be sick after eating around once a
week.

Carter started to lose weight around 6 weeks ago - at first I thought he was
eating houseplants and they were making him sick or he had worms. So I
removed the houseplants and wormed him. He carried on losing weight. The
sickness after eating got worse and then he stopped eating! We took him to
our vet and he checked him over - he appeared to be all clear apart from a
little rumble on his lung that he would keep a check on. He gave him an
anti-biotic injection and something to stimulate his eating and sent him
home.

The situation didn't improve and over the course of 2 weeks Carter was in
and out of the vet around 4 times. Without going into too much detail I'll
bullet point the details from the findings of the vet:

- Blood tests show a very high white blood cell count, a second test
showed the count as normal. The Vet suggested that the first count was a
fluke

- Carter tested negative for leukaemia

- His teeth were checked and there were no signs of an abysses

- Temperature was normal

- A head and neck x-ray showed all clear

However a chest x-ray showed a patch (or cloudiness) on his chest/lungs. The
Vet treated him over 10 days with more antibiotics. Still no improvement.
Carter was still not eating and was very docile. Another X-ray showed that
the patch was a little clearer but still there, a little pleurisy around the
lung also. The antibiotics continued.

We also noticed that when Carter was eating he was licking his lips all of
the time and looked a little like he was having problems swallowing, he was
also favouring the left side of his mouth. We found a sore on his left
temple that he had rubbed, we were given steroid cream to treat. The
membrane on his left eye was also visible (up) and his eye was closed a
little.

It is also worth mentioning that when Carter ate solid food, when he
swallowed he made quite a strange cruching/graunching noise - no idea where
it came from.

Carter was admitted to the Vet for 4 days 2 weeks ago and a sample was
drained from his chest. Under the microscope the Vet said he saw Lymphoma
cells along with lots of other cells - however his colleague was unable to
confirm this. The sample that the Vet said was very good was sent to the lab
for more tests. He told us that is was not good news and that Carter could
have a cancerous tumour on his chest that was more than likely inoperable -
this was causing all of the problems and was the patch on his chest/lung.

We brought Carter home to spend some precious days with him and the Vet gave
us Prednicare tablets to make him comfortable, promote eating and give a
chemo effect to the tumour.

The membrane on his eye was now very visible and his eye was closed even
more. The Vet told us that the tumour was pressing on the Ganglene nerve in
his chest and causing the membrane to pop up and the eye to close. However
on closer inspection it appears that the sore on his head was the result of
a fight with our other cat and has now nearly healed. The membrane in his
eye also has a nick in it (which is healing) - possibly due to the same
fight. So we are left wondering about the Ganglene nerve remark!

As I type this Carter is holding his weight around 5kg, he is eating a
little - mainly yoghurt, some prawns, baby food and a little cat food. He is
very tired but good natured. He is also very weak. We have taken him outside
where he sniffs, walks around, stretches, scratches and has a good wash. He
is still licking his lips furiously as he eats food and still makes the
graunching sound as he swallows solids. When he eats there is a pronounced
swallow. It is also worth noting that when he eats from a spoon (we
hand-feed him) he dips the left side of his face in it sometimes - perhaps
this is because he is week?

The test results came back from the lab yesterday and we were told they were
inconclusive. They could not tell if it was Cancer or inflammation, we were
told any further tests would get the same result.

The Vet has now told us to play it day-by day - I think he has totally run
out of ideas. Meanwhile Carter is still unwell and I cannot sit here and do
nothing. I know that his chances are slim and my partner and I have come to
terms with this - but we have to explore every possibility. I am hoping the
power of the Internet can help out.

I can provide any further detail that you may need and I am sure our Vet can
provide the results of any tests if you think you may be able to shed some
light on this.

As I said at the top of this mail, if you can help or have any advise please
get in touch
or 078999 22 506 (UK Mobile). If you can't
help but know someone who may be able to help please forward this email on
to them and others.

As we all know the Web is the biggest network of people that can be found
and I am just hoping that someone can help.

Many thanks for your time

Kris and Kelly

--
Kris Griffin

"The world is like a ride in an amusement park. And when you choose to go on
it, you think that it's real because that's how powerful our minds can be.
It goes up and down and round and round. It has many thrills and chills and
is very brightly coloured, and it's fun. For a while. Some people have been
on the ride for a long time and begin to question: Is this real or is this
just a ride? And others have remembered and they come back to us and say
"Hey, don't ever be afraid, because...It's just a ride". We can change it
anytime we want to. No effort, just a choice. No job, no money, no savings,
just a choice right now. Between Fear and Love. It's just a ride folks...."

Old March 9th 04, 03:00 PM
Gail

I would get a second opinion ASAP and bring all of his test results with
you. If possible, I would go to a veterinary school and have him seen there.
Gail
.. .

Old March 10th 04, 04:04 AM
MacCandace

I don't know what Carter has nor do I have any guesses but I wonder if your vet
has given you cyproheptadine (periactin) to stimulate his appetite. It works
quite well on my kitty who is also currently ill. And...the licking of the
lips may be from nausea. Maybe you cat could use Pepcid AC (Famotidine) to
reduce stomach acid or reglan (metoclopramide) which controls vomiting and
nausea.

Good luck...

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old March 10th 04, 04:08 AM
MacCandace

Everything you've described rings of when my cat had lymphoma,
including the neurological oddities.

Laura, just curious...does this include the finding of high white cell count?
One of my late cats died from lymphoma and her son, who is now 18, is ill with
an undiagnosed illness and I am hoping it is not lymphoma. I have opted for no
invasive testing in his case. His blood work was all normal and he doesn't
have the neurolgical oddities that Carter has, other than he does make more
noise when eating now and only eats good if he has an appetite stimulant.
Vomits if he doesn't get reglan about once a day. He's also on prednisone.