PING Pam and other rpca:ers

Old November 17th 05, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default PING Pam and other rpca:ers

I received an e-mail from Pam's address (tanada at earthlink dot net)
with the title ' Your document.' It has an attachment and it is 25k.
I suppose this is a virus message. I haven't opened it. And I suppose
it's been sent from someone who happens to have both mine and Pam's
address in their address book. That would be someone on rpca or on
Catslaves.

The scary thing is, if Pam had been arranging the Christmas card
exchange this year, I might not have been suspicious and might have
opened the attachment.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old November 17th 05, 03:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:28:53 +0200, Marina
wrote:

I received an e-mail from Pam's address (tanada at earthlink dot net)
with the title ' Your document.' It has an attachment and it is 25k.
I suppose this is a virus message. I haven't opened it. And I suppose
it's been sent from someone who happens to have both mine and Pam's
address in their address book. That would be someone on rpca or on
Catslaves.

The scary thing is, if Pam had been arranging the Christmas card
exchange this year, I might not have been suspicious and might have
opened the attachment.

For goodness sakes DON'T open it. It is a virus (I forget which one
has ' Your document' in the subject line, but according to my ISP
it is a virus.)

Purrs and Hugs,

Nan and the furkids

A wise man talks because he has something to say;
a fool talks because he has to say something.
Old November 17th 05, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Marina wrote:

I received an e-mail from Pam's address (tanada at earthlink dot net)
with the title ' Your document.' It has an attachment and it is 25k.
I suppose this is a virus message. I haven't opened it. And I suppose
it's been sent from someone who happens to have both mine and Pam's
address in their address book. That would be someone on rpca or on
Catslaves.

Actually, not necessarily, or so I've been told. There is
software out there for "harvesting" e-mail addresses,
although I understand most of that is for use by spammers
trying to sell stuff. A lot of viruses send themselves from
an infected computer - which may or may not be Pam's.
(Apparently they pick anyone in that computer's address book
to be the "sender" as well as the recipient.)

Old November 17th 05, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Marina" wrote in message
I received an e-mail from Pam's address (tanada at earthlink dot net) with
the title ' Your document.' It has an attachment and it is 25k. I
suppose this is a virus message. I haven't opened it. And I suppose it's
been sent from someone who happens to have both mine and Pam's address in
their address book. That would be someone on rpca or on Catslaves.

The scary thing is, if Pam had been arranging the Christmas card exchange
this year, I might not have been suspicious and might have opened the
attachment.

If you are using OE, there is a way to read messages without actually
opening them and putting your computer at risk.

Tweed

Old November 17th 05, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
"Marina" wrote in message
I received an e-mail from Pam's address (tanada at earthlink dot
net) with the title ' Your document.' It has an attachment and it
is 25k. I suppose this is a virus message. I haven't opened it. And
I suppose it's been sent from someone who happens to have both mine
and Pam's address in their address book. That would be someone on
rpca or on Catslaves.

The scary thing is, if Pam had been arranging the Christmas card
exchange this year, I might not have been suspicious and might have
opened the attachment.

If you are using OE, there is a way to read messages without actually
opening them and putting your computer at risk.

Tweed

And regardless of the news/mail reader, one should always run anti-virus
software (and keep those AV defs up to date!) and also have a personal
firewall. I've battened down the hatches with added anti-spyware and
ad-ware software and run scans regularly. There are some freebies out
there, but keep in mind you get what you pay for.

Jill