Mummy's pet

Old March 13th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default Mummy's pet

How common is this? Our Marblecake had four kittens three weeks ago.
They are just starting to energe from their hidey-hole under the bed
and explore the bedroom. They a

Poppy, the first out, who looks very much like her mum (dark tiger
stripes with a mostly-white face and orange splotches under the stripes)

Gerald, pale ginger stripey tomcat, the fattest and slowest one

Eccles, black and white tom with big whiskers, the skinniest and most
curious

Siouxsie, grey and white with a punkish orange streak on her head.

We are being allowed to pick them up, just. But usually we are NOT
alowed to have Poppy from more than a minute before Marblecake wants
her back. The others can play with us (or with Splodge, the only
one of our other cats to take any interest) for as long as we like.
Poppy is the only one she gets possessive about. Poppy herself
doesn't seem to think much of this - she obviously wants to get out
and play as much as her wobbly little back legs will allow.

Splodge didn't much appreciate Eccles investigating his abdomen in
search of sustenance. Eccles got gently but firmly bopped by a huge
grubby paw.

Old March 13th 07, 05:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 01:35:22 +0000, Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you have good entertainment. Best wishes to all. MLB
Old March 13th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On Mar 12, 8:35�pm, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:
[...]

============== *j-c *====== *@ *====== *purr . demon . co . uk *==============
Jack Campin: *11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660 4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ * for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975

Pictures?
Suz&Spicey

Old March 13th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Cute When we had kittens, the mama was quite happy to have baby sitters.
In fact, our dog babe did a LOT of baby sitting. She wanted them back, but
you could see relief etched in her face when Babe would come along and
cuddle all the kittens together for a good clean so that Kitty Ballou could
go out and around the house. They are so cool with all the different
personalities.

==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660

4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554

975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739

557

Old March 13th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 01:35:22 +0000, Jack Campin - bogus address
yodeled:

[...]

I dunna, but how envious am I -- three-week-old bitties wobbling
around!

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old March 13th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

[...]

In nature it is very common for a mother to show preference for one or more
of her offspring. And I'd think it would be natural as well to choose the
healthiest strongest one most like herself.

Nature has a way of favoring the strong. And sometimes cats in the wild can
and do have to choose who survives.

Jo

Old March 14th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Poppy, the first out, who looks very much like her mum (dark tiger
stripes with a mostly-white face and orange splotches under the stripes)

Gerald, pale ginger stripey tomcat, the fattest and slowest one

Eccles, black and white tom with big whiskers, the skinniest and most
curious

Siouxsie, grey and white with a punkish orange streak on her head.

They're just big enough to start looking like cats, and starting to
be mobile enough to get in trouble. Keep a lookout for kittens in
usual places!

What great names! How do you pronounce "Eccles"? Does it rhyme with
"freckles"? Or rhyme with "reckless"? Or sound like "eck-leez"? Or...?

Joyce
Old March 14th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Poppy, the first out, who looks very much like her mum (dark tiger
stripes with a mostly-white face and orange splotches under the stripes)
Gerald, pale ginger stripey tomcat, the fattest and slowest one
Eccles, black and white tom with big whiskers, the skinniest and most
curious
Siouxsie, grey and white with a punkish orange streak on her head.

They're just big enough to start looking like cats, and starting to
be mobile enough to get in trouble. Keep a lookout for kittens in
usual places!

Yesterday morning I was standing beside the bed when I felt a tickly
sensation on my toes. Siouxsie was licking them, and the others were
lined up behind her in a nose-to-tail queue for their turn, wriggling
from side to side like a conga line. Makes it hard to finish getting
dressed and go off to work.

What great names! How do you pronounce "Eccles"? Does it rhyme with
"freckles"? Or rhyme with "reckless"? Or sound like "eck-leez"? Or...?

Rhymes with "freckles". The association was with Marblecake's name -
Poppy is darker (like a poppyseed cake) and Eccles is mostly black
like the inside of an an Eccles cake (which you may not have come
across outside the UK - it's a thin flaky pastry shell with a filling
of currants). There was also a rather geeky character called Eccles
in the 1950s BBC radio show "The Goons" who regularly got disastrously
injured in some way or other, at which point he would squeak "You
dirty rotten scoundrel, you deaded me!". (Usually the person
responsible was his dimwit boss Colonel Bloodnok, which would also
be a good name for a cat). Eccles is not a very sensible-looking
cat, with enormous whiskers and asymmetric white face markings like
a weird leer.

Eccles cakes are named after a town in Yorkshire. The name of the
town ultimately comes from "ecclesia", Latin for "church", as it was
a significant centre for early English Christianity, so 1500 years
ago it was probably "eck-leez".

Old March 14th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Yesterday morning I was standing beside the bed when I felt a tickly
sensation on my toes. Siouxsie was licking them, and the others were
lined up behind her in a nose-to-tail queue for their turn, wriggling
from side to side like a conga line. Makes it hard to finish getting
dressed and go off to work.

I'd never leave!

Eccles cakes are named after a town in Yorkshire. The name of the
town ultimately comes from "ecclesia", Latin for "church", as it was
a significant centre for early English Christianity, so 1500 years
ago it was probably "eck-leez".

Yeah, I was thinking "ecclesiastes" (sp?) when I suggested that
pronunciation.

Joyce
Old March 14th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

Yesterday morning I was standing beside the bed when I felt a tickly
sensation on my toes. Siouxsie was licking them, and the others were
lined up behind her in a nose-to-tail queue for their turn, wriggling
from side to side like a conga line. Makes it hard to finish getting
dressed and go off to work.

oh my god, I wish I could have seen that!

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come