Waaaah! I hit a roo :-(

Old May 27th 07, 12:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

Default Waaaah! I hit a roo :-(

I got off work a bit late today, didn't leave till 5:40 and it was
almost dark already. The drive home is 35 km on a windy country road.
I had hardly gone 1km when a roo jumped out of nowhere and I hit it. It
wasn't fully grown, so at least the damage to my car wasn't too bad.
The hood is buckled, the front plastic bumper is cracked and the front
quarterpanel is dented. The headlight is broken but worked for a while
until it started pouring rain and then it went out, probably from too
much water getting in.
I was very upset and kind of weepy so I went back to work and called my
co-worker who only lives around the corner. She came out with her
husband and they determined my car was driveable. I drove home really
slowly and they followed me for 10km in case something happened. But it
was ok and I got home ok.
At least I have the next 3 days off so I can deal with it. I filed the
insurance claim by phone and have to take it in for an assessment
tomorrow. I'm hoping they can at least temporarily fix my headlight so
I can keep driving it till it gets fixed. I have a lot of painting to
do on the house in the next few days and next week I have friends coming
to visit from Saudi Arabia and I also have work 3 days a week at the
winery. Ugh, I really didn't need this.
Anyway, about the roo, it kind of bounced off the car and rolled over a
few times in the opposite lane, but then it got up and jumped off. It
was too dark out to see where it went and it started to pour rain almost
immediately. I hope it was just bruised and will recover.
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old May 27th 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

aw, that's terrible for the car. But we are glad both
you and the 'roo are ok. Hope everything gets fixed
soon.

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

Old May 27th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

badwilson wrote:
[...]

Purrs for the roo to recover and purrs for your car to be fixed quickly.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old May 27th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 27 May 2007 19:50:01 +0800, "badwilson"
yodeled:

[...]

Ouch! Oh, Britta,that is so upsetting. Poor car, poor roo, poor you.
Purring that you all recover.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old May 27th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 27, 6:50 am, "badwilson" wrote:
[...]

Oh, Britta, I'm sorry. I've never even seen a 'roo outside of a zoo
but I
imagine that's comparable to hitting a deer. They just come out of
nowhere and there's nothing you can do. Glad you were not hurt.

Sherry

Old May 27th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"badwilson" wrote in message
[...]

Glad that you are OK. Give yourself a break. Rent a car until yours is
fixed. Maybe a van or mini van that you can use to haul some stuff for a
week or so with all the new house things going on. Trust me, it will be
well worth it, even if your insurance doesn't cough up part of the cost.

One of the nicest vacations we ever had started with our car digesting its
transmission about 250 miles from home. (Damn 1973 Chevy)

We rented a car and kept on going, picked ours up two weeks later on the way
back home. And we had a wonderful time, went to Disneyland, San Diego,
Mexico, etc. No we couldn't afford it, but we couldn't afford not to do it
either.

BTW. Do they have special Roo bumpers there? I understand they have
special moose bumpers in Alaska now that improve your odds if you drive
where they like to graze in the winter.
Jo

Old May 27th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Sun, 27 May 2007 07:50:01 -0400, badwilson wrote:

I got off work a bit late today, didn't leave till 5:40 and it was
almost dark already. The drive home is 35 km on a windy country road.
I had hardly gone 1km when a roo jumped out of nowhere and I hit it.

I'm glad we don't have those critters around here. The worst thing I ever hit
was a pheasant, but I was driving my cousin's vintage Triumph TR-3 at the
time and I was certain it had done damage to the car... it didn't. And
neither did I get to bring it home for dinner... it got away.

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old May 27th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tish

On May 27, 9:50 pm, "badwilson" wrote:
[...]

I'm really glad you're OK. I've known a few people who have hit roos
on dirt roads and the force of the impact has caused them to skid off
the road - unfortunately trees sometimes fail to jump out of the way
in time of the off-road cars.
Your poor little car :^(
Poor roo; I hope it was OK. They're fairly tough and if it bounced
away it was probably just a bit bruised and will live to be a
vehicular toreador again.
Well, I'm guessing that you've just fulfilled the final experiential
criterion on becoming a dinki-di Aussie. Welcome to the mob. May it
never happen to you again :^)
Tish

Old May 27th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sam

Sorry for your accident. Get well purrs on the way for the 'roo and
your car, as well as calming anti-worry purrs for your nerves.

Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old May 28th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Purrs for you, your car and the roo.

--
Joy

Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary,
how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how
to combine them.
--Nathaniel Hawthorne