Off Topic, but need help - I have mice

Old February 6th 04, 11:36 PM
Yowie

"Debra" wrote in message
On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:16:37 GMT, "Alan Erskine"
wrote:

In my kitchen! There's one under the cupboard at the moment, scratching

as
if it's trying to break free. I've put down Ratsak (poison), for the

past
week, but no good.

I sent my landlord a *very* stern letter yesterday, but they might not

get
that until monday. Under Victorian Law (my state in Australia), they

have
up to 14 days to do something.

Hell, I've even put toilet crystals on the kitchen floor to try and

'smoke'
the little bugger out!

What do I do?

Well I was going to write use peanut butter on a mouse trap, but I
don't think peanut butter is sold in Australia. No matter. Chocolate
covered caramel candy on a mousetrap will catch them every time.

Peanut butter (aka peanut paste) is easily available in our supermarkets.

I'm curious as to where you got that notion (if you know)?

Yowie

Old February 7th 04, 12:10 AM
Annie Wxill

Fan wrote in message ...
.... I have found
that the only effective method is to use the old fashioned kind of
traps with a wooden base and all metal hardware. The ones with the
plastic trigger are not sensative enough. Peanut butter is the best
bait. ....

I think the glue traps are inhumane. Yes, killing them is bad, but it
is fast and painless.

Hello Fan,
I've never seen a mouse in the old fashioned kind of trap you mentioned, so
cannot say if the killing is fast and painless. I agree that those traps
are preferable to the glue traps. However, it is not necessary to kill the
mice, humanely or otherwise. You can purchase and use a humane trap, or you
can make one using the old fashioned trap, a soup can, and a piece of sturdy
wire mesh. I know these work because I have used one of those. After
catching the mouse, you can release it outside where it belongs.
Annie

Old February 7th 04, 12:29 AM

Takayuki wrote:

Speaking as someone who has nine adorable pet mice

You have pet mice??? I had no idea! What does Betty think of them?

Joyce
Old February 7th 04, 12:42 AM

Karen Chuplis wrote:

I think she is thinking of Britta? Someone Britta knew either got
her peanut butter because she couldn't get it in Thailand or Britta
took it to someone she knew somewhere. Ohhhh my failing memory.

Seems as though peanut butter should be available in Thailand... after
all, peanut sauce (which contains peanut butter) is one of the best
condiments in Thai food! Or is that just used in western versions of
Thai food?

Joyce
Old February 7th 04, 01:18 AM
Duke of URL

Debra wrote:

Well I was going to write use peanut butter on a mouse trap, but I
don't think peanut butter is sold in Australia.

WHAT! And you DARE to call yourself a "civilized country"?

No matter.
Chocolate covered caramel candy on a mousetrap will catch them
every time.

And how do you keep your children out of the mousetrap? Not that I
think it's a bad thing, mind, there's ever too many of them running
around - just wondering.

Old February 7th 04, 03:55 AM
badwilson

wrote in message
Karen Chuplis wrote:

I think she is thinking of Britta? Someone Britta knew either got
her peanut butter because she couldn't get it in Thailand or Britta
took it to someone she knew somewhere. Ohhhh my failing memory.

Seems as though peanut butter should be available in Thailand... after
all, peanut sauce (which contains peanut butter) is one of the best
condiments in Thai food! Or is that just used in western versions of
Thai food?

Well, in Thai cooking you wouldn't use peanut butter to make the peanut
sauce. You would get some peanuts at the market, roast them in a dry pan,
fling them up outside on a windy day to separate that thin skin, then crush
them with a mortar and pestle. A bit labour intensive, I know. But only
westerners could afford to spend $4 on a teeny tiny jar of Skippy when you
can get a kilo of peanuts for something like 10 cents!
--
Britta
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Old February 7th 04, 05:23 AM
Hopitus2

Har. One can't speak for all cats re rodent-catching. I personally have, in
a hard-fought battle, offed a large rat who was last-stand-barricaded in a
toilet bowl with the wrong end of a broom while our beloved cat, which had
shimmied up my right leg, clung with all 4 feet worth of claws to my right
thigh throughout the entire fight. I wasn't too disappointed in her as the
rat was about half her size.

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message ...
: (Mischief) had some very interesting things to
: say about Off Topic, but need help - I have mice:
:
: Easy, you get your cat, put him down in the room with the mice, and
: say,
: "Go get 'em! Do your instinctual duty!"
: hehehehehehehehehe
:
: Yeah, right. I have both a cat and a bird, and in over a year of the
: two of them sharing humans and housing, the cat has only very rarely
: made any sort of predatory move toward the bird, and I don't think he
: was entirely serious about it then.
: --
: "The universe is quite robust in design and appears to be
: doing just fine on its own, incompetent support staff notwithstanding.
: :-)" - the Dennis formerly known as (evil), MCFL