Kitten update!!+ 2 bonus new cats!!

Old November 28th 05, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Kitten update!!+ 2 bonus new cats!!

Hello again! wow Jasmine's kittens are HUUUGE now!! My boys go in and play
with them nearly every day now- supervised of course, it seems to be good
for all of them. They are wobbling around all over the floor now, fighting
each other in a terribly vicious manner, scratching and biting and kicking,
then squealing for mummy when one of them gets a bit too rough!! I think
larry may have copped it in the eye, as his eyelid is swollen and reddish,
and weeping a bit. I have been bathing it in salty water, and it doesn't
look infected, just irritated, and the eyeball is clear, so i'm just
watching it. It's been very dusty lately so that might be aggravating it
further. They are out of the cupboard now, into a box on the floor, as they
kept exploring, falling out and not being able to climb back in again! It's
also much nicer on the tiles, they can lie around and cool off under the
fan, and excercise their little legs romping around. They keep trying to eat
the litter, it's rock/mineral based non clumping one, so it's too big and
hard for them to swallow, and doens't clump. i think I'll change back to the
grass one next week though, as if they did swallow it it would break down in
their stomach. it's also less dusty, which might help the eye problems. I
was told be several vets that it's best to wait until 6 weeks then do fleas
worms and earmites with Revolution, as it's safer and more comprehensive
than advantage. I can get it through the mail for about half price what the
vet is charging, so I will do the whole family in one go. Now I just have to
borrow the neighbour's scales and weigh them all! And I now have two more
furbabies, making a total of 7 cats!! Please meet Cougar, a 9 month old
tortie point siamese, and Mango, a 6 month old red point siamese. They are a
long held dream come true, and I now feel our feline family is complete!!
They are still nervous of the family, as they are not used to kids, but I
was delighted this morning by them both coming out from under the bed and
sitting on my lap for cuddles! Cougar especially has been a struggle, as she
is the 'shy girl' of the litter, and I was worried she wouldn't settle in,
so coming out from under the bed to me is a big step for her!! Mango is
quite the little troublemaker, he likes to wake me up for playtime in the
middle of the night!! I think because during daytime he is worried about the
new house, and stays under the bed, but at night time he feels better. He
spends some time sleeping next to me, some time biting my toes, and some
time walking around the room meowing very loudly demanding scritches at 2am.
I can tell DH likes them, as he hasn't complained once, and even started
talking to him at 2am last night too!! He hates cat hair, and they don't
shed hardly at all compared to Jasmine, so I think that helps. They are so
petite, Jas looks like a big bruiser next to them!! Speaking of Jasmine, she
is incensed that I have dared to bring more cats in!! She is still talking
to me, but only just!! I am hoping she will settle down in time, as Mango is
quite similar in personality to her, so I think they will get along well.
Although Mango is terrified of her right now. But Cougar just ignored
her!!speaking of which, it's starting to thunder outside, and I am hearing
plaintive Siamese mews from my bedroom, indicating perhaps baby mango is
afraid of thunder!! Well I have been online too long anyway, my Lords and
Masters are getting impatient! well, I'll be off now, till next time, meee
+7 cats (oh joy!!)
--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

Old November 28th 05, 06:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Hi there,

Wow, you're family is growing quickly! I hope everyone settles down and
they all learn to live together.

As for the litter -- we used Carefresh, a fluffy recycled paper-based
litter. We knew that would be completely safe if the kittens tried to
eat it.

If Larry's eye is weeping, I would take him into the vet for a check.
Our kittens had some eye infections as their eyes opened and we had to
get liquid antibiotics. I think eye infections with kittens are quit
common, but something that can become serious pretty quickly. Swollen
and red sounds infected to me.

Let us know how Larry is doing,

Rhonda

Old November 29th 05, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

ok I might give that a go. My sis is a vet tech, so she can send me some up;
I might give her a ring today, I can afford to take the kittn to the vet,
but I'm saving to revolution them all in a week, so I don't want to put that
off. Plis i wouldn't be able to get him in til the weekend as DH has the
car. I think it has gone on a bit long; I don't want it getting worse, so
I'd rather play it safe. thanks for that. as for the litter, I have been
using the paper one, but the supermarket ran out so we switched to a rock
(not clay, attapulgite) litter for a week. Back to the usual one tomorrow.
so their fun little rocks will be gone....Do you have any tips about
introducing jasmine to the new cats? They are both VERY timid and jasmine is
a lot bigger and heavier than them, so I think that's making it worse.

Old November 29th 05, 05:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

We held off introducing the mom and babies to the rest of the cats until
they were about 3 months old. I know some do it earlier. We had one
run-in when the kittens were very small, one of our other adults got
into the kitten room. It was bedlam! Mom-cat chased Licorice with such
ferocity, she was so protective. We held off any other introductions for
a long time due to that. After the kittens were weaned and older, Maggie
(mom) didn't feel so protective.

We just let them out a few minutes together to see how they would
interact, then we put them back. We did that for the better part of a
week, letting them out together for increasingly longer periods, then
putting them back. We had treats ready and would sometimes get
everyone's attention with them if things got tense. We figured eating
together is a good sign!

I would hold off on your introductions for awhile, giving your new cats
a little time to feel at home before they have another stress. You can
tell how they're doing though since you are there, I tend to do things
like that slowly and cautiously so there aren't any bad feelings between
them in the beginning. If you can keep them separated with a closed door
-- that helps them to feel safe but be able to smell (or bat) the cat on
the other side of the door.

Good luck!

Rhonda

Old November 30th 05, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

thanks so much for that advice rhonda, it's exactly what i needed. I was
thinking of that, as jasmine is the least aggressive cat i know, and has had
a very easy going approach to me and the boys handling the kittens from very
early on. So i'm putting it down as maternal instinct, and hoping that when
the new kitties have settled in and know all the hideouts i can gradually
introduce them. I will definitely try the food tip,that's a good idea. Just
on how they are reacting to everything, they will be quite shy of her for a
while, so hopefully she will just ignore them, and the kittens will break
the ice a bit. Cougar is very non confrontational, and Mango is quite
similar in personality to jasmine, so I am hoping they will get on a bit.
good news as well. This morning I checked larry's eye, and it's back to
normal!! So I'm very happy with that, as I made the call that it was minor
and didn't really need antibiotics, but you never feel quite easy until it's
all better. So now we have eight round blue little kitten eyes, and my
camera is out of memory!! However I'm getting a video camera tomorrow, and
if I can get it to talk to the computer I might be able to upload videos.
Now wouldn't that be fun!!!