BIRMAN WITH RINGWORM

Old November 10th 06, 12:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

Default BIRMAN WITH RINGWORM

Hi, about the Program; I am currently having to give Grisofulven to my older
kittens, nothing else is working as I caught it too late and it is very hot
and humid here. However with the smaller ones is Program safe to use? From
what age? I will be doing preventative as much as possible on the littlies,
however most stuff is too toxic to use. What age would you start using
Program, safety wise? I didnt know about this use for program and would love
to switch them all to it as Griso is pretty harsh to livers and works
slowly, meaning they must be on it for longer. Any advice appreciated

Old November 10th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

meeee wrote:
Hi, about the Program; I am currently having to give Grisofulven to my older
kittens, nothing else is working as I caught it too late and it is very hot
and humid here. However with the smaller ones is Program safe to use? From
what age? I will be doing preventative as much as possible on the littlies,
however most stuff is too toxic to use. What age would you start using
Program, safety wise?

I forget the package label instructions, but I think it is 12 weeks.

I didnt know about this use for program and would love
to switch them all to it as Griso is pretty harsh to livers and works
slowly, meaning they must be on it for longer. Any advice appreciated

Program has no activity in animals so I *assume* it would be safe to
dose kittens (that meet the minimal treatment age) for ringworm as you
do adults. You might ask your vet about it. If I get any time today I
will do a literature search for you. I have had awesome luck with
Program, as have others I know, but you need to make sure the ringworm
is GONE before you stop treatment. That's why I kept my cat on the
regular dose for 6 months after the initial ringworm dosages.

-L.

Old November 10th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

I asked about grisofulven,but was prescribed Sporal D for the
furry-freinds.I have never heard of this one before,has anyone else as
I was wondering about its effectivness?Is program a preventative
treatment,or active treatment(forgive my ignorance!)If there thanks for
small mercy's,it is that we don't have any kittens presently.I did't
realise that it could take up to 12 weeks to get them clear of
it..??!But needs be as they say,we will do what is nessacery to get
shot of it.
On a differnt thread,I have Jasper sitting on my knee helping me
type.We have had an excellent day today.I took him to the meadow where
we sat & rummbled about better times with plenty of head rubs,knee
weaving & deep throated purrs too-we had a brilliant time there & I
will remember it fondly.He is booked in to see the vet just before
dinner tomorrow.I know that it will be desperately sad,but a release
for him.Please think of him as fondly as we do & thanks for all the
support too

Old November 10th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

meeee wrote:
[...]

Thanks that information is VERY useful; I am not sure why my vet didnt tell
me; I presume he either wasnt aware or believed it might not help in our
humid hot climate. I will ask the vet, but it would be great to have a less
toxic thing to give the kittens. Thanks again, much appreciated!!

Old November 10th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

I'm so sorry about Jasper, but I think you're doing the right thing. If I
were in your position; I would rather give my old friend a dignified and
comfortable entry to the rainbow bridge than have him go in pain and
confusion. He will go quietly, and know he is loved.
About the Sporal; lucky you! I was told that Sporal is better as less liver
damage risks but for some reason we can't get it here. A breeder I know was
able to get some once but hasn't been since; it might be a region thing;
eastern australia seems to be behind the times with many vet practises
compared to western australia and the rest of the world (early desexing for
example)

Old November 11th 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

meeee wrote:
Thanks that information is VERY useful; I am not sure why my vet didnt tell
me; I presume he either wasnt aware or believed it might not help in our
humid hot climate. I will ask the vet, but it would be great to have a less
toxic thing to give the kittens. Thanks again, much appreciated!!

This is an off-label use and so some vets don't discuss it with
patients. If they haven't tried it they won't be supportive of it.
Also, you can buy Program OTC so they lose the revenue if you treat
with Program - some vets won't tell you because of that.

-L.

Old November 11th 06, 08:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

wrote:
I asked about grisofulven,but was prescribed Sporal D for the
furry-freinds.I have never heard of this one before,has anyone else as
I was wondering about its effectivness?

Highly effective. It stops the growth of the dermatophyte.

Is program a preventative
treatment,or active treatment(forgive my ignorance!

Both. You use it at a high doasage to get rid of the ringworm and then
at a lower dosage to prevent reinfection.

)If there thanks for
small mercy's,it is that we don't have any kittens presently.I did't
realise that it could take up to 12 weeks to get them clear of
it..??!But needs be as they say,we will do what is nessacery to get
shot of it.
On a differnt thread,I have Jasper sitting on my knee helping me
type.We have had an excellent day today.I took him to the meadow where
we sat & rummbled about better times with plenty of head rubs,knee
weaving & deep throated purrs too-we had a brilliant time there & I
will remember it fondly.He is booked in to see the vet just before
dinner tomorrow.I know that it will be desperately sad,but a release
for him.Please think of him as fondly as we do & thanks for all the
support too

Sorry to hear you will euthanize your friend. It is a loving choice -
probably the most loving thing you will ever do for him.

-L.

Old November 11th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Thank you all so much for your kind words,they were a great comfort in
a time of need.We took him and all petted him,then I was allowed to
hold him as he was given the medication,so he went from me straight to
the rainbow bridge.It was utterly devastating as we expected,but as it
was also a calm loving experience too.I couldn't have asked for a
kinder understanding vet(my own is away presently),who was very
accomadating &thoughtful as well.
We have just had a little service for him where we buried him under his
favourite sunbathing site,in the shade of the butterfly tree.It was
extreemly moving,but I am also glad that it is all over now as the
climax to it was worse than the reality of the experinece.I know he
will never suffer any pain ever again & will be @ peace now.He was a
treasured friend & I hope that one day we will meet again.
On the sporal D.I am not sure about the ins and outs of his-But I have
heared several other freinds talk about getting prescription
medications for their pets on line.As I understand it,there are vets
that you can talk to who will dispense on line for you as long as you
are certain that you know what is wrong,& have had a diagnosis from
your own vet prior to asking them??Does anyone else know a bit more
about this one that might be able to help you?

Old November 12th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"-L." wrote in message
ps.com...

meeee wrote:
Thanks that information is VERY useful; I am not sure why my vet didnt
tell
me; I presume he either wasnt aware or believed it might not help in our
humid hot climate. I will ask the vet, but it would be great to have a
less
toxic thing to give the kittens. Thanks again, much appreciated!!

This is an off-label use and so some vets don't discuss it with
patients. If they haven't tried it they won't be supportive of it.
Also, you can buy Program OTC so they lose the revenue if you treat
with Program - some vets won't tell you because of that.

-L.

Ok...that explains a lot I don't see any reason not to prescribe an OTC
drug for something simple like ringworm. But that's vets for you. I guess
they worry that you would overdose the cat then sue them or something.
Thanks a heap for this advice, it is invaluable

Old November 12th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

meeee wrote:

Ok...that explains a lot I don't see any reason not to prescribe an OTC
drug for something simple like ringworm. But that's vets for you. I guess
they worry that you would overdose the cat then sue them or something.
Thanks a heap for this advice, it is invaluable

Program has no activity in mammals - I don't think you *could* OD a cat
with it, from a practical standpoint.

-L.