BIRMAN WITH RINGWORM

Old November 7th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default BIRMAN WITH RINGWORM

Hi Folks,
Once we got confirmation of diagnosis that our Birman seal tabby did in
fact have ringworm,&also our seal point little birman girl too...we
have issolated them from the others individualy & sought treatment for
ourselves too.We have all got to be treated as a precautionary
measure(now done over the last 24hours,we moved on to phase two.)
After a really busy day of doing room cleans,from ceiling to floor
tiles,furniture,bedding,toys..in fact everything that the cats go near
or on in the house,we have reached the point where all of the cats
bedding is on a very hot wash in the washing machine,& we are ready to
treat the cats with their medication as well.The tablets are no problem
@ all,but we are in a bit of a quandery as to how we apply the lotion
that we were given to smother all the cats with...our only problem is
that we have had conflicting advice as to proceed.One vet has told us
that we have to shave our cats,but another has told us that it is not
necessary to do so;all that we need to do is wash them in the
lotion(which I dread wholheartedly I might add,because one of them
hates water with a passion).I have the lampshades/collars,(sorry I
don't know the technical name for them.)... ready also,so that they
cant nibble away @ themselves after treatment.I just thought I would
check it out with everyone before treating them as It would be an utter
waste of time and money if we do the wrong thing-Does anyone know for
sure?Being winter here,I'm a bit reluctant to shave them if it is not
required,however,If it is in thier best interest,I *will* of course do
so!I just want to be sure before going ahead with such a drastic
action..(can you imagine a birman with no coat???)And if we do have to
go ahead with it,any tips on how not to get clawed to pieces would also
be invaluable too please?Thanks every one!

Old November 7th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

Hi Sheelagh,

me again (get it? oh I'm so funny I know)
Anyway I wouldnt shave;pneumonia is far worse than ringworm. With bathing
them, here are some tips. I am presuming you are using a shampoo that you
need to leave on for 10 minutes then wash off? Ok firstly, claw clip all
cats that need washing. If you really feel you need to shave them, I would
clip them instead as they are long hairs, down to half the normal fur
length. This might make it easier to get the shampoo coverage. Ringworm
doesnt attach the hair, but the skin and the hair follicle so you need to
ensure the shampoo covers the skin and undercoat thoroughly, not just the
topcoat. Ok, after claw clipping all your cats (back and dewclaws
too...you'de be surprised) it will help if you have one of those extendable
shower hoses. Warm up the bathroom, and put old clothes on; you are going to
get wet. If you have no extendable shower hose, stand a bucket of warm
water, two in fact as you have long haireds, and you'll need a sponge or
flannel and a jug for pouring. Stand in the bath and stand the cat in front
of you. Grasp the front legs in one hand, pinning them together. Try and
grasp near to the body, and watch out for rabbit kicks from the back legs.
Start by sponging off, using the flannel or sponge to try and work the water
into the fur. If the cat becomes too agitated, let them have a cool off for
a few seconds, then grab them again. After getting them thoroughly wet,
shampoo, let it rest and then grasp them again, and pour warm water over
them as quickly as possible as they will be thoroughly cheesed off by now,
rinse as much as possible off using the jug; quick is the trick here. Then
towel dry and let them dry off in a warm place....no draughts is the key
here more than warmth; a cold draught in a warm room is just as dangerous as
a cold room. With kittens, wash them in the kitchen sink, lots of warm
water, and keep them as calm as possible; negative experiences with water at
this age will give them a greater fear of water. Try not to get the head
going under, or they will panic. Dip them in slowly and gently, stopping if
they begin panicking, and use a face flannel to wet the areas like the head
without the kitten panicking overly. best wishes.

Old November 8th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Frez

Hello Sheelagh,

Cider Vinegar! The ringworm is a fungus not a worm, as I understand it,
and as such doesn't like acidic environments.
For yourselves, take a teaspoon in warm water with honey to sweeten if
you fancy. For all four paws, mix 3 or 4 drops in an ounce or so of
butter and dab a little on a paw, then they have to like it off.

Frez

Old November 8th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Hi Fez,
thanks very much for the input,all advice is gadly aceppeted.I have had
a fantastic response with regard to the poor moggies.I will give it a
go as well as the conventional drugs too as It might help it go a bit
faster.Your right,it is a fungal infestation & highly contageous too.We
have all started treatment(In fact all of the room cleansing has been
completed as well as the pens also),so all we have to do now is keep up
the medication & be very vigilant with the other cats.Only 2of them
have it so far thankgoodness so far.I also wnet out this morning and
invested in a small u.v light so that I can check all 6of the cats on a
regular basis too.As I understand it,when the cats do contract
ringworm,the light turns the affected patch green,so you can tell who
has and also who hasn't contracted it?
All human residents have been treated so now just a matter of ensuring
that the cats take thier medication every day,& making sure that we are
slowly getting rid of it.
I washed the cats down this morning with the treatment the vet gave
us(no easy task I might add!!).Biffy scratched me to pieces & won't be
forgeting his grudge in the immediate future either,but it was no where
near as bad as I anticipated.We decided that the best place to treat
them was in the shower where there was no escape for them,unless they
could clear 7feet high,over the shower door.It worked ever so well,so
if anyone of you out there ever has to go through this very unfortunate
situation,then do try this method.There might be a few hiss's and
spitting,but in the end,they all calmed down & enjoyed tyhe attention
as soon as they realised that we meant them no harm(having bever washed
them before!)..Washing their faces was the hardest bit;they hated
it!But needs must,& I am sure that poor Tiggie will be feeling a lot
better soon.
Has anyone got any idea how long it will be until she will resist the
need to nibble her rump at all?She has been fitted with one of those
collars that prevent them from reaching to nibble it & it is driving
her potty!!!!I hope it isn't too long as I really do feel for
her...doesn't dead eye from a cat look eveil when they hate you?!!!!
(

Old November 8th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

Hi Fez,

would the cider vinegar also help as a topical wash? Or is it best when
given internally?
Thanks

oups.com...

Old November 9th 06, 09:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Frez wrote:
Hello Sheelagh,

Cider Vinegar! The ringworm is a fungus not a worm, as I understand it,
and as such doesn't like acidic environments.

This is completely NOT true. Fungi thrive in acidic environments.
Furthermore, acetic acid (vinegar) will burn raw, open skin. DO NOT
use vinegar on a cat!

There is huge difference between taking vinegar internally and using it
externally.

-L.

Old November 9th 06, 09:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

wrote:
Hi Fez,
thanks very much for the input,all advice is gadly aceppeted.I have had
a fantastic response with regard to the poor moggies.I will give it a
go as well as the conventional drugs too as It might help it go a bit
faster.Your right,it is a fungal infestation & highly contageous too.We
have all started treatment(In fact all of the room cleansing has been
completed as well as the pens also),so all we have to do now is keep up
the medication & be very vigilant with the other cats.Only 2of them
have it so far thankgoodness so far.I also wnet out this morning and
invested in a small u.v light so that I can check all 6of the cats on a
regular basis too.As I understand it,when the cats do contract
ringworm,the light turns the affected patch green,so you can tell who
has and also who hasn't contracted it?

Not always. Not all forms of ringworm fluoresce. Ringworm is actually
a dermatophyte - a plant. It is treated like a fungus, however.

[...]

Unless you shave the areas where the lesions are, and treat it with an
antifungal such as Lotrimin gel, topical treatments are unlikely to
work and will take as much as a 6-8 weeks or more to work. Are the
cats on an oral antifungal? If not, buy some Program and treat them
with it at home. It comes in chewable form. The dosage is 44mg/lb
(double check this via Google - I might be wrong) and you will need to
do two treatments one month apart. After that, the cats can have the
regular monthy dosage for cats. I administered mine by mixing in a bit
of tuna - the cat ate it right away. It not only prevents the ringworm
from growing (it is a chitin inhibitor), it seems to make the cat feel
better as well, almost immediately.

-L.

Old November 10th 06, 11:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Frez

Hi Sheelagh,

I really feel for you and all your four paws. I don't know much about
the UV light but I know the Cider Vinegar worked a treat on my little
guy who has Leukemia. I didn't want to stress him out any more than was
necessary with more medication etc. so sought the complimentary route.

I have only used the vinegar mixed with butter for the little guy to
take internally however you can use vinegar externally on healthy cats
(not cuts obviously!), it gives their coats a wonderfully healthy
gleam, use only in very small quantities, a few drops mixed in at least
50ml of water with a drop or two of lemon oil helps keep fleas at bay!

Program is the old flea treatment I was thinking of the other day, this
I used in conjunction with the vinegar.

I agree with you, the look from any cat with one of those collars on is
awful. If it's any comfort my little guy, Munchkin, stopped licking and
nibbling in a couple of days.

Frez